LA KINGS 2023/4 Regular season discussion

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Woke up to an article titled something like "Kaliyev Has Likely Played His Last Game With the Kings". Arty Party is potting 35g next year for whatever team picks him up in the off season.
Possibly but I don’t necessarily draw the conclusion that it’s all on the team in this case. I’d agree that he probably hasn’t been used in the best way but I’ve not seen enough to surpass any of the top 6 wingers and maybe only Laf in the top 9. His work rate and more significantly his intensity has not been right and bear in mind he did get a look in a scoring role at times.

I have always backed Arty and was very behind the pick but he’s not been right this season. It may be as a result of some understandable frustration but he’s been underwhelming at times. Given 2 coaches have not used him it’s possible there has been more going on, for example he’s not training well. I’m not saying that is the case for one moment, I’m just giving an example that would be a good explanation.

The crap I’ve read from some about there being a dislike of him is nonsense because he got his shot pretty early on in his career after the lockout season. In fact I think Blake was probably counting on getting more from him bearing in mind Laf was never expected to make the roster. We needed more goals and they thought AK would be one of the sources.

I don’t like the way some of our prospects have been used at times but for this season I cannot conclude the team is to blame in this case. I know people like to turn speculation into ‘fact’ but I don’t buy it here without knowing more.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Turcotte leaving school early though, now there's a Brisson move

but the Kings org has that push-pull relationship between "kid is under 25" and "kid is a brisson client" so no wonder he's been dicked all over God's green earth
1713461791943.png

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
ESPN article (so TIFWIW) today with top 50 players in the playoffs with an additional 10 honorable mention. so it lists top 60 players in this year's NHL playoffs.

One thing of interest to us here is missing from this list -- i'm sure most of you can guess what that is.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Possibly but I don’t necessarily draw the conclusion that it’s all on the team in this case. I’d agree that he probably hasn’t been used in the best way but I’ve not seen enough to surpass any of the top 6 wingers and maybe only Laf in the top 9. His work rate and more significantly his intensity has not been right and bear in mind he did get a look in a scoring role at times.

I have always backed Arty and was very behind the pick but he’s not been right this season. It may be as a result of some understandable frustration but he’s been underwhelming at times. Given 2 coaches have not used him it’s possible there has been more going on, for example he’s not training well. I’m not saying that is the case for one moment, I’m just giving an example that would be a good explanation.

The crap I’ve read from some about there being a dislike of him is nonsense because he got his shot pretty early on in his career after the lockout season. In fact I think Blake was probably counting on getting more from him bearing in mind Laf was never expected to make the roster. We needed more goals and they thought AK would be one of the sources.

I don’t like the way some of our prospects have been used at times but for this season I cannot conclude the team is to blame in this case. I know people like to turn speculation into ‘fact’ but I don’t buy it here without knowing more.
regardless as to whether or not that's true, from a GM perspective, if you want to get rid of him, you trade him. months ago. now all you've accomplished is making him more pissed off, devalued him from lack of visibility, devalued him by lending more credence to these work ethic questions, wasted cap space on someone who isn't playing, and you haven't even benefitted from having him in the A where he might be lighting it up and increasing his value

whatever this was has accomplished nothing for him or for the team, it's just a wasted asset

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I had to go have a listen.. this is pretty funny

lol. The very funny thing is he had quite a soft accent…

Very OT but…

Listen to this on the Jeremy Kyle show (think Jerry Springer)… I have family that sound very similar.

Also look up the purple burglar alarm skit…

Billy Connelly from the 80’s is a great comedian from Glasgow … similar accent to my Dad. Worth a listen, very funny… but doubly so if you understand Glasgow… pronounced ‘Glescae’ by the locals.

Glaswegian is a great English dialect with amazing colloquialisms.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
regardless as to whether or not that's true, from a GM perspective, if you want to get rid of him, you trade him. months ago. now all you've accomplished is making him more pissed off, devalued him from lack of visibility, devalued him by lending more credence to these work ethic questions, wasted cap space on someone who isn't playing, and you haven't even benefitted from having him in the A where he might be lighting it up and increasing his value

whatever this was has accomplished nothing for him or for the team, it's just a wasted asset
Whilst I agree it’s always going to depend on the offers. He was obviously in the plans heading into the season and his form drop off has meant getting value was going to be tough during the season. He wasn’t going to be seen as a piece to move the needle for anyone, he’d become more of a reclaimation project.

At this point the value is probably in a new coach getting him going or failing that a pre-draft day move.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It really has been the worst and dumbest thing by ALL parties

I literally cannot think of a more poorly handled player situation, it's like they did everything nearly completely objectively wrong

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Very OT but…

Listen to this on the Jeremy Kyle show (think Jerry Springer)… I have family that sound very similar.

Billy Connelly from the 80’s is a great comedian from Glasgow … similar accent to my Dad. Worth a listen, very funny… but doubly so if you understand Glasgow… pronounced ‘Glescae’ by the locals.

Lol - i could parse 1 in 4 words from that. Is Craig Ferguson fomer talk show host here in US - is he Glasgow or Edinburgh.. he was quite understandable

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Can you be a little more specific as to which Kings prospect/player you are talking about?
;)

Absolutely, it's [handpicked player under 25]

Rob Blake goes and buys Coconut Pineapple ice cream and then is like WHAT THE f*** IS THIS I WANT VANILLA but instead of trading it for vanilla he lets it melt and takes a piss on it even though said ice cream is waiver eligible oh no my metaphors have broken the 4th wall

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Whilst I agree it’s always going to depend on the offers. He was obviously in the plans heading into the season and his form drop off has meant getting value was going to be tough during the season. He wasn’t going to be seen as a piece to move the needle for anyone, he’d become more of a reclaimation project.

At this point the value is probably in a new coach getting him going or failing that a pre-draft day move.
i agree, i wouldn't have expected a haul in return but you coulda got something when it was learned that he's not capable of playing "LA kings defense" -- which was quite frankly obvious a long time ago. hiller gave his husk a chance for sure and he didn't show a whole lot, but hiller is also a koala at his core, so..

hell, maybe blake's hands were tied by management after the PLD acquisition

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Very OT but…

Jesus Christ, Billy Connolly....what a great freaking comedian.....thanks, gonna go waste a few hours pulling up clips now

Reactions: Statto

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Does kaliyev have the Wrong agent?
There was talk of kaliyev's agent asking for more playing time so somehow he became an untouchable? And i dont see how any of us INCLUDING MYSELF can form an objective opinion on him given his playing time.
Id also like to add that this players situation is just one more example that rob blake doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
There was talk of kaliyev's agent asking for more playing time so somehow he became an untouchable? And i dont see how any of us INCLUDING MYSELF can form an objective opinion on him given his playing time.
Id also like to add that this players situation is just one more example that rob blake doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground

So...you can't form an objective opinion on Kaliyev.....but you can form an opinion that Blake doesn't know what he's doing, BECAUSE of Kaliyev....

Jesus Great f***ing logic there....

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Any King that isn’t hiring Brisson only has himself to blame at this point tbh.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
regardless as to whether or not that's true, from a GM perspective, if you want to get rid of him, you trade him.

This has been a huge problem spot for the Kings, an inability to move on from young players before their value completely collapses and/or they reach waiver eligibility. Turcotte, JAD, Kaliyev, Bjornfot

When Danault was signed in the summer of 2021 that should have been the end of Turcotte in LA, not because he's a bad guy or anything, but he was a player who two years before was a Top 5 pick and there was simply no role going forward for him as a C, and he could have been used to address other areas where the team was lacking both at the NHL level and in the pipeline. Were you going to get back the value you used to draft him? No, but getting a late 1st/early 2nd caliber pick, prospect or veteran certainly would be better than three years later having almost nothing to show for the pick and the player entering his waiver eligible year with minuscule trade value.

As soon as they came to the organizational conclusion that the corpse of Edler was higher on the depth chart than Bjornfot they should have pulled the plug. Same situation as Turcotte, are you getting back similar value to the pick you used to originally draft him? No, but again, it's sure better than losing the player for nothing a year later.

If you end up at the point where you are potentially risking losing a former high pick or highly thought of prospect to waivers you butchered it.

As far as the Brisson stuff, I still struggle to come up with any reason why the Kings made the bizarre decision to pull Alex Turcotte from school, so certainly a favor to Brisson is possible, but if Brisson was pushing hard for it, it was probably at the urging of the Turcotte family, because Brisson has had plenty of high-end NCAA players who went back, including Caufield from the same draft year and college team. Brisson has so many clients I think you are bound to have some stuff that looks fishy.

It doesn't really matter what the Kings do in a meaningless regular season game, but it would be very disappointing to see Akil Thomas not in the lineup for Game 1. He has been a shot of adrenaline the Kings desperately needed.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This has been a huge problem spot for the Kings, an inability to move on from young players before their value completely collapses and/or they reach waiver eligibility. Turcotte, JAD, Kaliyev, Bjornfot

When Danault was signed in the summer of 2021 that should have been the end of Turcotte in LA, not because he's a bad guy or anything, but he was a player who two years before was a Top 5 pick and there was simply no role going forward for him as a C, and he could have been used to address other areas where the team was lacking both at the NHL level and in the pipeline. Were you going to get back the value you used to draft him? No, but getting a late 1st/early 2nd caliber pick, prospect or veteran certainly would be better than three years later having almost nothing to show for the pick and the player entering his waiver eligible year with minuscule trade value.

As soon as they came to the organizational conclusion that the corpse of Edler was higher on the depth chart than Bjornfot they should have pulled the plug. Same situation as Turcotte, are you getting back similar value to the pick you used to originally draft him? No, but again, it's sure better than losing the player for nothing a year later.

If you end up at the point where you are potentially risking losing a former high pick or highly thought of prospect to waivers you butchered it.

As far as the Brisson stuff, I still struggle to come up with any reason why the Kings made the bizarre decision to pull Alex Turcotte from school, so certainly a favor to Brisson is possible, but if Brisson was pushing hard for it, it was probably at the urging of the Turcotte family, because Brisson has had plenty of high-end NCAA players who went back, including Caufield from the same draft year and college team. Brisson has so many clients I think you are bound to have some stuff that looks fishy.

It doesn't really matter what the Kings do in a meaningless regular season game, but it would be very disappointing to see Akil Thomas not in the lineup for Game 1. He has been a shot of adrenaline the Kings desperately needed.

I think this is well said and accounts for the idea that no matter how you feel about the prospects and their development or lack thereof--the organization's handling of them is absolute road apples. It's like they do everything they can to depreciate the assets.

I remember once upon a time we were musing upon the tinfoil idea that they were trying to artificially ceiling their second contracts--but now that we're coming up on those second contracts, it seems more that they just have zero desire to work kids into the lineup no matter who has earned or deserved it...age, veteran status come before performance or potential.

Last edited:

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Lol - i could parse 1 in 4 words from that. Is Craig Ferguson fomer talk show host here in US - is he Glasgow or Edinburgh.. he was quite understandable
I’d say somewhere in a smaller town… somewhere like Lanarkshire… both Glasgow and Edinburgh are distinctive in their own right and he’s neither, I’m fairly sure.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
So Kaliyev was a guy who fell to us early in the second round, 33rd overall I think. In a year where we were a lottery team. At the time, getting him and Turcotte was a coup.

His downsides were one dimensional play and questionable birth year. The upside was elite shot and man sized body. We’ve seen him be durable, score some goals, turnover the puck, and take contact like an older player. So, no surprises.

But the GM said he needs to be a top six player, while the multiple coaches try to shoehorn him into the bottom six. Whatever the player has or hasn’t done right, the fact remains that he hasn’t been developed since he left the AHL.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Woke up to an article titled something like "Kaliyev Has Likely Played His Last Game With the Kings". Arty Party is potting 35g next year for whatever team picks him up in the off season.

Believe it when I see it. That would mean a top 3/6 role, top unit pp. His problem seems to be the coaches don't trust his play away from the puck. We've seen it time after time, not engaging in simple board battles to win the puck, something every NHL player has to do, even the elite scorers. Then lose the puck to a 5-10" player who weighs 60lbs less. He's got the shot, but you have to be more than that. Wished they'd have sent him down before reaching the pro limit, at least to get some icetime to work on things. Getting suspended to start didn't help his cause at all this season either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad