LA KINGS 2023/4 Regular season discussion

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
You don't want Turcotte learning how to be a 4th liner. Its a total waste of his ability and he isn't suited for the kind of game you need out of that role. It would be the same mistakes made that speed-bumped Kaliyev and Kupari's transitions into the NHL.

Lizotte just isn't a problem. Having $25 million wrapped up in the centers that ARE blockading Turcotte and Byfield IS the problem here.

Imagine both Byfield and Turcotte both "breaking out" this year and STILL not having room for two top 5 picks in their best spots because you locked in mediocrity above them for the next half decade.
Good points, but Lizotte is not a valid 4C for the playoffs. If you want to keep him around as a utility guy sure. Id still rather have Turcotte with the big club playing his position (albeit on too low of line) than Lizotte - which is a compromise based on Blakes poor roster construction that you called out.

Reactions: Steve Zissou

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Good points, but Lizotte is not a valid 4C for the playoffs. If you want to keep him around as a utility guy sure. Id still rather have Turcotte with the big club playing his position (albeit on too low of line) than Lizotte - which is a compromise based on Blakes poor roster construction that you called out.
Who cares, Kopitar isn't a 1C for the playoffs, he is in good company.
We have waaaaaay bigger problems then Lizotte

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Who cares, Kopitar isn't a 1C for the playoffs, he is in good company.
We have waaaaaay bigger problems then Lizotte
If Lizotte is blocking Turcotte from the NHL I think thats a problem. He's already been damaged down there, and he seems like he's healthy now, why risk another Englund type hit? he has nothing to learn there. Edit: the other point i made yesterday before RV went LTIR is that you can squeeze Turcotte and another ELC for Lizotte's cap hit.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
What 4th line left wing in the system is he blocking?

And if you're talking about more skilled players, why do people keep wanting skilled players to act as grinders on the fourth line?

I'm willing to give Doughty more time, but he needs to play better and he needs to stop getting put on the first powerplay.

The Kings have Spence and Clarke who should get real opportunity out there.
I agree, Helenius is our 4C of the future and hopefully Akil has a full year of health and joins him..

If Todd wanted to play the kids he most definitely could.. you slot Doughty over to his off side and spread the wealth with Mikey and Vlad but you can’t “disrespect” Drew that way even though it be in the teams best interest..

Doughty - Roy
Vlad - Clarke/Spence
Mikey - Clarke/Spence

Reactions: King'sPawn

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
LA's first 10 games
Colorado - Division winner 2023
Carolina - Division winner 2023
Winnipeg - Playoff team 2023
Minnesota - Playoff team 2023
Boston - President Trophy Winner 2023
Arizona - non PO team 2023
Vegas - Stanley Cup Winner 2023
Toronto - Playoff team 2023
Ottawa - non PO team 2023

Thats 5 of the top 7 teams from last year, and 7 out of 10 playoff teams, only Boston is expected to take a step back , but their not going to take a large step back, if LA can get 8 points out of 20 it will actually be better than it looks. ( and at least they didn't pull an "Oiler" in their first game).

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
LA's first 10 games

Thats 5 of the top 7 teams from last year, and 7 out of 10 playoff teams, only Boston is expected to take a step back , but their not going to take a large step back, if LA can get 8 points out of 20 it will actually be better than it looks. ( and at least they didn't pull an "Oiler" in their first game).
I'd honestly be happy with a 5-5 start. I think we could easily lose the first 4 if we're not careful. You know that game w/ Winnipeg is gonna be a good one.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
LA's first 10 games

Less than .500 over any 10 game stretch being “okay” for a self declared”contender” after five years of getting everything you want, inheriting a championship infrastructure, and having more continuity than almost any other team is exactly the kind of thing that makes this franchise an outright joke and I am far beyond over any excuse for losing. Shit or get off the pot.

“Yeah but we play some good teams” okay you can’t have it both ways. Either this team has major issues and you agree with us or this team is a wagon and no excuses. None of this p***yfooting around is gonna go without getting ripped on. Commit to a view.

Reactions: Herby and Schmooley

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I really want to see Turcotte with Moore and Danault. Someone better light a fire under Kaliyev's ass or else he may find himself back on the 4th line or worse.
As it stands, Laf has already taken his spot on the 3rd line. The chemistry is undeniable with those three. There was none in the preseason with Kaliyev on that line. Game 2 will tell a lot where he lands.

Reactions: funky

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
To me Lizzote= Derek Armstrong. The further he is up in your lineup, the worse your team is.
Lizzo does his job well and brings a lot of energy and gets the other guys going.

It's not his fault he was playing on the 2nd and 3rd lines previously. That was a lack of depth.

He's got a pricey little pricetag for such a lil' guy. Gets injured at the wrong time.

Love his heart; god bless him. If Turcotte could come in and do everything defensive while putting up some offensive firepower, I am all for it. Not sure if there would be a market for someone like Lizotte, but maybe we could flip him for another area of need?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It might sound crazy to some of you but maybe Doughty has to go. I still love the kid but he'd still return a great young goalie at this point in his career and solve much of the cap issues.
Honestly…I might be crazier… I’d trade both Kopitar and Doughty for some first round picks if possible. PLD takes Kopitars spot and Clarke/Spence easily fill in Doughtys

But hey yanno vets and country club bullshit

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Honestly…I might be crazier… I’d trade both Kopitar and Doughty for some first round picks if possible. PLD takes Kopitars spot and Clarke/Spence easily fill in Doughtys

Should have been done years ago. Theres just no chance of it happening now so its not worth thinking about.
The only way is maybe Doughty wants to try and win in Toronto or something and requests it.
Kopitar just signed for 2 more years after this…

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
He's got a pricey little pricetag for such a lil' guy. Gets injured at the wrong time.

Love his heart; god bless him. If Turcotte could come in and do everything defensive while putting up some offensive firepower, I am all for it. Not sure if there would be a market for someone like Lizotte, but maybe we could flip him for another area of need?
Injured at the wrong time? He played 81 games last year and missed three games in the playoffs. Same as Fiala.

Then you throw out Turcotte who hasn't been able to stay in any lineup? Odd.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Both have NMC contracts - but one can dream

Reactions: Sol

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Should have been done years ago. Theres just no chance of it happening now so its not worth thinking about.
The only way is maybe Doughty wants to try and win in Toronto or something and requests it.
Kopitar just signed for 2 more years after this…
I’m sure someone will take a shot at kopitars carcass

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I’m sure someone will take a shot at kopitars carcass
Yea someone would. Hes slowed down but hes still solid enough. I meant more that the Kings would never trade him or Doughty unless they themselves requested it.
Maybe in their final year at the deadline like they did Quick or if a new gm comes in but really cant see it.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Injured at the wrong time? He played 81 games last year and missed three games in the playoffs. Same as Fiala.

Then you throw out Turcotte who hasn't been able to stay in any lineup? Odd.

His three years prior were 70/41/65. Playoffs are also the time you need everyone 100%

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting to trade Lizotte tomorrow, but if Turcotte came in and was what we had hoped a 5th overall to be? Let a poster dream over here. :)

I just want Turcotte to get a real opportunity. God knows our prospects get nothing until the waivers are over and a different team claims.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Can we cut the fat?

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - PLD - Laf
Arvidsson- Danault - Turcotte
Grundstrum - JAD - Lewis

- might switch Laf and Turc

Doughty - Gavrikov
Spence - Anderson
Clarke - Moverare
Bjornfot $.775,000 or Englund $ 1 mil

Talbot - $1 + $1
Copley - $1.5

Trade assets

Roy - $3.15 mil
Moore - $4 mil
Kaliyev - $.894,167
Lizotte - $1.6

How much worse is the lineup above with the changes I made? Saves about 6 mil.

I believe Moore and Lizotte are the easiest to replace by cheaper NHL ready prospects. Unfortunately neither hold trade value.

I don’t want to give up Roy as he is our only other right shot, defensive defenseman for the penalty kill, but he is also a free agent that will demand a pay raise and is stifling our young stud defenseman. Roy should draw a very good return, especially closer to the trade deadline.

That leave’s Kaliyev. Is he an unpolished Diamond, a one dimensional extra, is he a player capable of playing every day? I don’t think his trade value is high right now but may be if he gets in the lineup and plays well.

I think for now we hold onto our players and try and build some trade value. As the year rolls in and if we remain healthy and the youngsters start producing we start replacing the higher prices guys with the prospects.

If we hold onto the players we have and have a chance to land a Saros at the trade deadline we could be dangerous. I would love a Saros and Lauzon combo.

I believe we need the goaltending upgrade to sniff the second round.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
why is everyone putting Dubois as #2C, this dude can't win faceoffs, is overrated af

he'd be best suited as a winger, I'd be more curious to try Byfield at C again

(incoming "there's more to the C position than just winning faceoffs, buddy!")

to which i say, stfu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad