LA KINGS 2023/4 Regular season discussion

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This was interesting. I wasn't following much at the time, so I just looked up the expansion draft. Kings protected Forbort over him. I'm assuming for cap reasons?
was a bad call, dealt Forbort not long after. I think they thought Forbort ceiling was higher than McNabb.
I wanted LA to deal Muzzin to Toronto before the expansion draft so they could protect both. I remember a lot of Leaf fans offering a first.

Oh well.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Watching this just saddens me. There’s only two players on the Kings who are willing to throw down for their fellow teammate but you look at these two teams, every skater fought. If you want to see the core problem of this team you have to start right here. Everyone on the Kings is a p***y except Laferriere and Englund. The amount of times oilers have straight up injured Kings with no repercussions is disgraceful. Even Mikey Anderson is a p***y himself. McDavid tries to end your career and you’ve not done anything yourself to get back at him? Rempe kills one guy and they have a line brawl. Oilers are straight up injuring Kings and no response. I cannot wait until the Doughty and Kopitar days of glued on gloves goes away. Thankfully it’d be around the time this gutless brass would most likely would be getting an overhaul themselves. No one f***ing plays for their fellow teammate. People shit on Lafferierre and the guy is the only one who tries to kill people? Even Lizotte with his miniature size tried to throw down with the oilers. Hell, for as much shit I give Dubois, the guy suddenly puts in effort to skate if Lafferiere is getting pressed after the whistle. There’s only 3 men on this team and only one of them fights regularly. I never used to be big on fighting and retribution because I thought skill would overcome all adversity, but what good is skill if the other team simply injures your players with no fear?

What a gutless team, gutless organization, and sad excuse for men. Mike Anderson is a bitch for not getting back at McDavid

Reactions: Johnny Utah

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Watching this just saddens me. There’s only two players on the Kings who are willing to throw down for their fellow teammate but you look at these two teams, every skater fought. If you want to see the core problem of this team you have to start right here. Everyone on the Kings is a p***y except Laferriere and Englund. The amount of times oilers have straight up injured Kings with no repercussions is disgraceful. Even Mikey Anderson is a p***y himself. McDavid tries to end your career and you’ve not done anything yourself to get back at him? Rempe kills one guy and they have a line brawl. Oilers are straight up injuring Kings and no response. I cannot wait until the Doughty and Kopitar days of glued on gloves goes away. Thankfully it’d be around the time this gutless brass would most likely would be getting an overhaul themselves. No one f***ing plays for their fellow teammate. People shit on Lafferierre and the guy is the only one who tries to kill people? Even Lizotte with his miniature size tried to throw down with the oilers. Hell, for as much shit I give Dubois, the guy suddenly puts in effort to skate if Lafferiere is getting pressed after the whistle. There’s only 3 men on this team and only one of them fights regularly. I never used to be big on fighting and retribution because I thought skill would overcome all adversity, but what good is skill if the other team simply injures your players with no fear?

What a gutless team, gutless organization, and sad excuse for men. Mike Anderson is a bitch for not getting back at McDavid

It's absolutely amazing, how you have NO idea what this was, but you speak like you know what the f*** you are talking about...here's a hint...you don't.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I give up this year. Following the Reign. They are skilled and tough. Kings are neither and boring as f.
I was pretty suspicious after they gave up earlier in the season. I think it was after they dropped 6 after going 13 straight on the road. They just looked too anemic. Then Dubious showed his true colors and DD called him out and that was pretty much the season. Just called a spade a spade.

The coaching change was a nice move in the right direction but they need more than that. It needs an overhaul with some increased aggression on the forecheck.

My kid and I break down plays and talk about positioning, finding space etc. It's fun for us on that route.

Last edited:

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
This was interesting. I wasn't following much at the time, so I just looked up the expansion draft. Kings protected Forbort over him. I'm assuming for cap reasons?
Just a bad decision overall. My personal thought was justifying his draft position and trading up to get him
This along with trading Martinez to a division rival for 2 second round pics was idiotic, especially at the height of our lackluster blue line era. I'm not even sure what those 2nd rounders turned into, but Martinez is still an important mainstay D-man on a rival. He scored the GWG for the f***ing Stanley Cup, no team should do that, especially after we lost Voynov.

It's absolutely amazing, how you have NO idea what this was, but you speak like you know what the f*** you are talking about...here's a hint...you don't.
He's not exactly wrong, Edmonton has bullied and injured this team while facing little repercussion for it. You know how you stop getting bullied? You punch them in the goddamn face (or testicles, Bobby Hill style). Its long overdue.

Last edited:

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
My recollection is that it was probably cap related.

I can't count the number of arguments I've had over the years with various people about how McNabb has been Doughty's best partner since the Cup years and it really shouldn't even be a debate.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He's not exactly wrong, Edmonton has bullied and injured this team while facing little repercussion for it. You know how you stop getting bullied? You punch them in the goddamn face (or testicles, Bobby Hill style). Its long overdue.

Agreed, but that's not what happened last night, does anyone really think that squaring up against Matt Rempe, is going to prevent Rempe from being physical? That's not what last night was.....

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Agreed, but that's not what happened last night, does anyone really think that squaring up against Matt Rempe, is going to prevent Rempe from being physical? That's not what last night was.....
No… it’ll encourage Rempe because it makes him relevant. It makes it more likely he will run a NJ player next season.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No… it’ll encourage Rempe because it makes him relevant. It makes it more likely he will run a NJ player next season.

Exactly, which is the why the "vengeance" that the guy speaks of, is idiotic at best....but this is the same clown that advocated for purposely taking out McDavid...so there is that.

• Haha

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
My recollection is that it was probably cap related.

I can't count the number of arguments I've had over the years with various people about how McNabb has been Doughty's best partner since the Cup years and it really shouldn't even be a debate.
Forbort just played all 82 games at 20 minutes a night. Finally a full-time NHL player after being a 1st round pick.

McNabb just played only 49 games at an average of 15 minutes a night, a step back from the year prior. He wasn't great that season. Then he is scoring the series winning goal against the Kings the very next season.

I think it was a legit hockey choice by Blake and Co. but the cap could have played a factor too. The Vegas expansion draft led to the Folin/Fantenberg era and a further erosion of the toughness of the team due to the loss of McNabb, at least toughness that can actually play close to 20 minutes a night.

That spot of LHD with some toughness was ultimately filled by Edler (I only include him due to Blake's comment of not wanting to go in the corner with him) and Englund, two guys that can handle only like 13 minutes a game.

I hate that Vegas team but not as much as Blake's tenure as GM.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It's not about stopping Rempe from being physical, it is about sticking up for yourself. If it was just about Rempe, the only fight would have been MacD/Rempe. That was a team, against a rival, letting the other team know they aren't going to take it anymore. If Rempe, while still being physical, crosses the line again, the Devils next step might not be so gentlemanly as evening things up with a fight.

The Kings taking it to the Oilers instead of continually turning the other cheek would do wonders. It wouldn't stop a physical player from looking for hits but it would take the rest of the their team down a notch. Right now, the biggest puss on the Oilers knows he can be right in Talbot's grill and nothing will happen. Everyone on that team thinks they can go anywhere on the ice and do anything they want.

Someone on the ice last night should have taken an instigator in response to that cheap crosscheck on Arvidsson into the back of the net. Team is mostly hopeless anyways but they can pack it in if he is hurt again. Guy is writhing on the ice and, as always, we just get some guys skating over because they know they are supposed to do something but, unfortunately, 95% of this team doesn't want to be the guy to actually do something. I even think Englund was on the ice for it as well, which is disappointing: especially when icing seven defensemen.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Forbort just played all 82 games at 20 minutes a night. Finally a full-time NHL player after being a 1st round pick.

McNabb just played only 49 games at an average of 15 minutes a night, a step back from the year prior. He wasn't great that season. Then he is scoring the series winning goal against the Kings the very next season.
My memory is that he had an injury that kept him out of the lineup.

Looking at the three seasons McNabb played with the Kings 2014-16 to 2016-17 he was paired with Doughty for 1576 minutes even strength.

That pairs underlying possession metrics were the best by a wide margin.

Doughty won the Norris trophy with McNabb as his primary partner and McNabb was rewarded with a contract extension and has gone on to have the better career between McNabb and Forbort.

McNabb has obvious "shortcomings" to his game but his impact is undeniable and so I never understand how people come to the conclusion that...

I think it was a legit hockey choice by Blake and Co.
when the team was making plenty of decisions based on the salary cap
the cap could have played a factor too.
it did
The Vegas expansion draft led to the Folin/Fantenberg era and a further erosion of the toughness of the team due to the loss of McNabb, at least toughness that can actually play close to 20 minutes a night.
Another strength of McNabbs....
That spot of LHD with some toughness was ultimately filled by Edler (I only include him due to Blake's comment of not wanting to go in the corner with him) and Englund, two guys that can handle only like 13 minutes a game.

I hate that Vegas team but not as much as Blake's tenure as GM.
After the tear down and rebuild.

McNabb and Doughty were the best pair during that stretch. I don't understand the pushback.

Never have.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Exactly, which is the why the "vengeance" that the guy speaks of, is idiotic at best....but this is the same clown that advocated for purposely taking out McDavid...so there is that.
This along with trading Martinez to a division rival for 2 second round pics was idiotic, especially at the height of our lackluster blue line era. I'm not even sure what those 2nd rounders turned into, but Martinez is still an important mainstay D-man on a rival. He scored the GWG for the f***ing Stanley Cup, no team should do that, especially after we lost Voynov.

Why is this concept so hard for you to grasp GBH? Yeah, I do advocate purposefully taking out McDavid. The same McDavid that purposefully tried to end Anderson. Is it hard to follow? Can you explain to me why the Oilers are allowed to have open season on the Kings, but god forbid the same guy who tried to end Anderson shouldn't be taken out?

Do you want to know the best part about taking out McDavid? It'd be perfectly justified for how he's intentionally trying to take out Kings. Want to know the outcome? The Kings win the series, no contest. McDavid is single handedly killing the Kings and is painting the biggest target on his back, while pacifists like you who have never stood up for yourselves are crying about the concept of proportionality.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's not about stopping Rempe from being physical, it is about sticking up for yourself. If it was just about Rempe, the only fight would have been MacD/Rempe. That was a team, against a rival, letting the other team know they aren't going to take it anymore. If Rempe, while still being physical, crosses the line again, the Devils next step might not be so gentlemanly as evening things up with a fight.

The Kings taking it to the Oilers instead of continually turning the other cheek would do wonders. It wouldn't stop a physical player from looking for hits but it would take the rest of the their team down a notch. Right now, the biggest puss on the Oilers knows he can be right in Talbot's grill and nothing will happen. Everyone on that team thinks they can go anywhere on the ice and do anything they want.

Someone on the ice last night should have taken an instigator in response to that cheap crosscheck on Arvidsson into the back of the net. Team is mostly hopeless anyways but they can pack it in if he is hurt again. Guy is writhing on the ice and, as always, we just get some guys skating over because they know they are supposed to do something but, unfortunately, 95% of this team doesn't want to be the guy to actually do something. I even think Englund was on the ice for it as well, which is disappointing: especially when icing seven defensemen.
This is it exactly. The Kings let the Oilers know that its open season on anyone. That line brawl isn't a "f*** you" to Rempe, its a f*** you to the entire team, and it lets the other team know that if you do cheap shit, we will do it back.

Oilers injure Lizzo, Anderson, and Danault. Intentionally might I add. Why are we acting like retribution isn't justified? There's nothing immoral about giving it back in any and all ways, especially if the team is going below the belt.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Didn't realize Fiala was all the way up to 26 goals. Wasn't he in single digits a couple months into the season?
Yup. I feel he was over passing and I think Jim Fox may have mentioned it on a telecast.

I think Fox said the coaches told him to fire it more.

I actually think it comes from the coaches telling the players in very clear terms not to take any retaliation penalties against the vaunted Oilers players.

Obviously this NJ vs NY brawl was precipitated by the coaches selection of players of the puck drop.

If a player blatantly takes out McDavid that player would be gone for the season from the Kings lineup.

I am sure the coaches also said this to the team. Running guys leaves players out of position , another way the can make you pay.

Intentionally injuring McDavid goes against the code and I can't advocate. I can say if you get the chance for a solid legal hit and won't be caught out against him or any Oinkler for that matter, hammer away and let the chips fall where they may.

However, I do feel the Kings could use a Tom Wilson type forward for L3 or 4 that has a decent touch and can throw down.

I heard Danault was injured from a shot from a teammate?

Did I miss something?

You sound really fed up but I know how you guys are.

You will be posting more and watching the Kings tonight.

Last edited:

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Well, the hope for the Kings right now has to be to play Vancouver in the first round. With yesterday's results, it looks like Vancouver should finish at the 2 spot in the conference so, assuming that happens, the Kings would need to pass Nashville while staying behind Vegas to do so. Nashville is currently 1 point ahead of the Kings and would win a tiebreaker against the Kings so the Kings would need to get at least 2 more points than Nashville over the last 7 games to pass them. Vegas has 3 more points than the Kings but would lose a tiebreaker with the Kings. The Kings do have a butter soft schedule to end the year.

Kings - 1 game against a playoff team, 2 road games, 1 back to back (today's against San Jose), opponents have average of 65 points
4/4 @ San Jose
4/6 vs Vancouver
4/9 @ Anaheim
4/11 vs Calgary
4/13 vs Anaheim
4/15 vs Minnesota
4/18 vs Chicago

Nashville - 1 game against a playoff team, 4 road games, 2 back to backs, opponents have average of 75.29 points
4/4 vs St. Louis
4/6 @ NY Islanders
4/7 @ New Jersey
4/9 vs Winnipeg
4/12 @ Chicago
4/13 vs Columbus
4/15 @ Pittsburgh

Vegas - 3 games against playoff teams, 3 road games, 0 back to backs, opponents have average of 78.29 points
4/5 @ Arizona
4/8 @ Vancouver
4/10 @ Edmonton
4/12 vs Minnesota
4/14 vs Colorado
4/16 vs Chicago
4/18 vs Anaheim

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Well, the hope for the Kings right now has to be to play Vancouver in the first round. With yesterday's results, it looks like Vancouver should finish at the 2 spot in the conference so, assuming that happens, the Kings would need to pass Nashville while staying behind Vegas to do so. Nashville is currently 1 point ahead of the Kings and would win a tiebreaker against the Kings so the Kings would need to get at least 2 more points than Nashville over the last 7 games to pass them. Vegas has 3 more points than the Kings but would lose a tiebreaker with the Kings. The Kings do have a butter soft schedule to end the year.

Kings - 1 game against a playoff team, 2 road games, 1 back to back (today's against San Jose), opponents have average of 65 points
4/4 @ San Jose
4/6 vs Vancouver
4/9 @ Anaheim
4/11 vs Calgary
4/13 vs Anaheim
4/15 vs Minnesota
4/18 vs Chicago

Nashville - 1 game against a playoff team, 4 road games, 2 back to backs, opponents have average of 75.29 points
4/4 vs St. Louis
4/6 @ NY Islanders
4/7 @ New Jersey
4/9 vs Winnipeg
4/12 @ Chicago
4/13 vs Columbus
4/15 @ Pittsburgh

Vegas - 3 games against playoff teams, 3 road games, 0 back to backs, opponents have average of 78.29 points
4/5 @ Arizona
4/8 @ Vancouver
4/10 @ Edmonton
4/12 vs Minnesota
4/14 vs Colorado
4/16 vs Chicago
4/18 vs Anaheim
It's Sam Sam the Nissan Man!
And yes a matchup with Vancouver is our best shot at wining a round

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Read excercise bike for the playoffs!

This might be part of it but to other factors may be

1. Hitting a mental wall in combination, he never played this many games before, I believe.

2. I watched Byfield closely the last few games. Opponents seem to know what he is going to do continually.

He has obviously been scouted. So they know his tendencies but more than that they may be picking up on body language and positioning giving them an idea of what he will try to do with the puck and in battles.

The next step for Byfield is to add more deception to his game along with more body neutral positioning like Kopitar does, so as not to afford the opponent in play clues that add to pre scouting reads on his tendencies.

It is styming his success IMO. I believe he will breakthrough on this more next season if the coaching and development staff has had time to figure this out and address it with him.

The coaches are new and have their hands full coming in and fostering a turn around.

Judging from recent games, I do not believe they have hit him up with this info yet.

And although they should tell him, it may be something that would be better addressed in the off season.

You don't want him to overthink things when playoff position and preparation is the important focus right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad