Kings Article: LA Kings’ Rob Blake On Jordan Weal: “There’s Not A Lot of Players Like That Aroundâ€

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Awesome article - thanks Gann!

It's great to see how dedicated and how hard Weal has worked and the
commitment he has. I hope he gets every shot at the 3rd line center.
He offers more than Lewis or anyone else at that slot. He has way more
offensive capabilities than Lewis and uses his team mates more - more
ability with the puck and creates chances for himself and others - those
abilities have been all but missing from the bottom 6. Shore is looking
promising as well, and will be a great fixture to the bottom 6.
I just think that Weal creates more offensively and he could be #3 center
and Shore #4. Lewis belongs on wing, anyway. It's time for both of them
and out with Stoll and Richards. There may be some growing pains,
but must be done.

Size? At 5'10" 182, he actually is about the same size as Richards, but I think
physically stronger. The places that listed Richards at 6'0" 195, were ridiculously
generous. He is barely 5'11" at I doubt ever touched 190. If Weal is smaller,
it is by an inch at the most and probably 5-8 pounds lighter, yet he is probably stronger than Mike, just from how hard Weal hits the gym. Size will not hold
him back.

It's cool to see how much Blake is invested at knowing the players and working with them and the dev staff and coaching staff. Yes, that is to be expected, of course. I have just never read any articles with Blake talking at length about any player. Cool to see his assessment.

Last edited:

cali101

Nov 23, 2014
rob blake's words seem relevant coz he sees and works with players in both the AHL and NHL but enjoyed the sound audio of weal's interview in particular. seems very self-aware and determined.

Ron*

Ah I get it now...the pasta from outta space was being facetious.

How do you stretch Jordan Weal into two parts anyway? It's like an anthology or something.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ah I get it now...the pasta from outta space was being facetious.

How do you stretch Jordan Weal into two parts anyway? It's like an anthology or something.

How did they do it with Catching Fire?

Ron*

Ok...I'll just limit myself to one or two question interviews with prospects.

Really folks?

Okay, let me speak my piece. Just my opinion, because writing style is writing style.

I'm good with a million questions. It's all about asking as much as you can, and filling up your column as much as you can. Your pieces are informative in that manner.

The problems is getting there. I find myself frustrated with a lot of information that just isn't required. The best example I can see of this is the following sentence:

Nevertheless, even after three years with the Monarchs, the Kings’ AHL affiliate (which will become the AHL’s Ontario Reign in the coming season), as with the vast majority of young prospects, questions abound.

This could have easily been boiled down to the following:

Nevertheless, even after three years with the Monarchs, as with the vast majority of young prospects, questions abound.

The point is made, the sentence flows naturally, and the uninterrupted connect to the next paragraph comes easily.

You could have even edited out one more unnecessary part:

Nevertheless, even after three years with the Monarchs, questions abound.

Now, obviously you do your homework. I am not complaining or irritated about that. But you can get rid of the unnecessary stuff and make your stories flow better. Perhaps even get it down to one article, period. I know I would definitely be inclined to read from beginning to end with much more enjoyment. But as it stands now, I just get exasperated and frustrated with all the stops and starts that the unnecessary completeness causes.

You have to know your audience. Everyone here knows the Monarchs are the Reign next season. Everyone here knows they are the Kings' affiliate. And everyone here even knows that prospects all have question marks associated with them.

I know this is just one example. It's the only example I saw in this particular article because I stopped reading (again). Just too frustrated to go on. It happens with every article you write. I definitely can appreciate the completeness of the articles as I would go deep into facts in my own written reports as an LEO (necessary, of course).

And I will give you this: your stories are much more detailed then the garbage we are seeing on major news stories from CBSnews.com and CNN.com. That is a strength. Again, just airing my opinion here.

My feeling here is if you peeled away the unnecessary verbiage in your articles you can easily become the top writer for the Kings, including the daily newspapers. I sincerely mean that.

Just my opinion. Don't chop me off at the knees just because I feel this way.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
It's the dog days of summer, it's gonna get silly around here.

Jordan Weal is the prospect is that most fans are probably excited about seeing in training camp this year, so a lot of us are happy about seeing this two-part interview with Weal and Blake. I listened to the entire audio interviews with both guys today. (It really adds a lot to have those audio interviews, btw.). Great job, Gann. I'd go for a part 3 and part 4, so having 2 parts suited me. I've said this before, but Frozen Royalty interviews are the best for going in-depth with our prospects. Thanks again.

I like JoW's skill and diligence, but he gets huge bonus points for having such a pun worthy name. Good all-around player that way. ;)

Hope to see him get some minutes this season on the Kings.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Okay, let me speak my piece. Just my opinion, because writing style is writing style.

I'm good with a million questions. It's all about asking as much as you can, and filling up your column as much as you can. Your pieces are informative in that manner.

The problems is getting there. I find myself frustrated with a lot of information that just isn't required. The best example I can see of this is the following sentence:

The point is made, the sentence flows naturally, and the uninterrupted connect to the next paragraph comes easily.

Now, obviously you do your homework. I am not complaining or irritated about that. But you can get rid of the unnecessary stuff and make your stories flow better. Perhaps even get it down to one article, period. I know I would definitely be inclined to read from beginning to end with much more enjoyment. But as it stands now, I just get exasperated and frustrated with all the stops and starts that the unnecessary completeness causes.

You have to know your audience. Everyone here knows the Monarchs are the Reign next season. Everyone here knows they are the Kings' affiliate. And everyone here even knows that prospects all have question marks associated with them.

I know this is just one example. It's the only example I saw in this particular article because I stopped reading (again). Just too frustrated to go on. It happens with every article you write. I definitely can appreciate the completeness of the articles as I would go deep into facts in my own written reports as an LEO (necessary, of course).

And I will give you this: your stories are much more detailed then the garbage we are seeing on major news stories from CBSnews.com and CNN.com. That is a strength. Again, just airing my opinion here.

My feeling here is if you peeled away the unnecessary verbiage in your articles you can easily become the top writer for the Kings, including the daily newspapers. I sincerely mean that.

Just my opinion. Don't chop me off at the knees just because I feel this way.

Don't forget that I don't just write for the hard-core, highly knowledgable hockey fan. You made my point in this regard when you wrote, "...everyone here knows..." Yeah, I'm well-aware of that. But I write for a very wide audience, and I can't assume every reader is a hard-core, knowledgeable fan. if I do that, I ignore a TON of others. Soooo...I also write to educate those who aren't that familiar with the game. But I get what you're saying. In any case, you're also free to not read my work, as is everyone's choice. Not every writer "works" for every reader.

Ron*

Don't forget that I don't just write for the hard-core, highly knowledgable hockey fan. I also write to educate those who aren't that familiar with the game. But I get what you're saying. In any case, you're also free to not read my work, as is everyone's choice. Not every writer "works" for every reader.

Gann, I doubt there are very many reading your work that don't know the game. I mean, you post the articles here, right?

But I will leave it at that. No offense intended.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Gann, I doubt there are very many reading your work that don't know the game. I mean, you post the articles here, right?

But I will leave it at that. No offense intended.

I post links to my stories here and elsewhere. But not everyone is a hardcore hockey fan.

A good hockey writer writes with inclusivity in mind rather than exclusivity. If you want in-depth articles written specifically for the hardcore fan who knows the game extremely well...you're really going to limit yourself. Even the top writers in the U.S. and Canada don't often do that.

I'm in no position as a part-time hockey writer to leave out potential readers, nor do I want to. One purpose of my writing is to get more casual fans hooked and get them to become as addicted as we are to the game.

If that's not for you, so be it. There are plenty of other hockey writers out there. I don't expect everyone to like my work. But as so many players say these days, "it is what it is." :)

Ron: No offense taken. I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Love it, Gann. Thanks for this interview. I really, really hope this kid succeeds this season. If he can take the third- or fourth-line center role and run with it, that would be a huge positive for this Kings team. Lewis is a great player – one of my favorite on the team – but let's be honest, he's better served as a winger.

King - Weal - Brown
Clifford - Shore - Lewis
Nolan, Andreoff

I'm all for it.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Love it, Gann. Thanks for this interview. I really, really hope this kid succeeds this season. If he can take the third- or fourth-line center role and run with it, that would be a huge positive for this Kings team. Lewis is a great player – one of my favorite on the team – but let's be honest, he's better served as a winger.

King - Weal - Brown
Clifford - Shore - Lewis
Nolan, Andreoff

I'm all for it.

Don't be surprised to see Weal play on right wing. He did that most of the past season.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
okay, let me speak my piece. Just my opinion, because writing style is writing style.

The problems is getting there. I find myself frustrated with a lot of information that just isn't required. The best example i can see of this is the following sentence:

Now, obviously you do your homework. I am not complaining or irritated about that. But you can get rid of the unnecessary stuff and make your stories flow better. Perhaps even get it down to one article, period. I know i would definitely be inclined to read from beginning to end with much more enjoyment. But as it stands now, i just get exasperated and frustrated with all the stops and starts that the unnecessary completeness causes.

You have to know your audience. Everyone here knows the monarchs are the reign next season. Everyone here knows they are the kings' affiliate. And everyone here even knows that prospects all have question marks associated with them.

I know this is just one example. It's the only example i saw in this particular article because i stopped reading (again). Just too frustrated to go on. It happens with every article you write. I definitely can appreciate the completeness of the articles as i would go deep into facts in my own written reports as an leo (necessary, of course).

And i will give you this: Your stories are much more detailed then the garbage we are seeing on major news stories from cbsnews.com and cnn.com. That is a strength. Again, just airing my opinion here.

My feeling here is if you peeled away the unnecessary verbiage in your articles you can easily become the top writer for the kings, including the daily newspapers. I sincerely mean that.

Just my opinion. Don't chop me off at the knees just because i feel this way.
tldr

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
As much as many say Lewis is a W, and I agree, Weal is as much only a C. I don't believe he would work on W in the Kings system. You're taking away about 80 percent of his game if you don't let him flow through the C role.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
As much as many say Lewis is a W, and I agree, Weal is as much only a C. I don't believe he would work on W in the Kings system. You're taking away about 80 percent of his game if you don't let him flow through the C role.

Perhaps not at the NHL level, but he played most of last season with Manchester on right wing, and they play the same system, so he CAN play there. The question now is: can he do that at the NHL level? Of course, the question is: can he do anything at the NHL level (since he hasn't played at that level yet)...

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Great work again, Gann. Your articles are so much better today than they were when you started posting them on HFBoards. Keep it up.

Jordan Weal is the most intriguing prospect of this off-season, so he deserves a close look. The fact that the Kings didn't ship him off like Linden Vey suggests that they have plans for him. He has the potential to fill a major hole in the Kings' lineup, but has some major questions that won't go away. It's great to have Gann and other writers doing the legwork that most of us can't so that we can get to know the prospects a little more. It's one of the reasons I read the HFBoards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad