Proposal: LA - CBJ - NSH

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
To LA:
Saros
Parssinen
NSH 2026 2nd (if Saros does not extend after the 24/25 season)

To CBJ:
LA 2024 1st (Top 10 protection)
Rittich/Talbot/Copley (whoever LA would prefer to ditch)

To NSH:
Quinton Byfield
Elvis Merzlikins

LA gets an upgrade at goal and young center, Columbus satisfies Elvis' trade request for picks and a stop gap goalie, Preds get a top 6 center and a reliable goalie to ride during Askarov's development

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
To LA:
Saros
Parssinen

To CBJ:

To NSH:
Quinton Byfield
Elvis Merzlikins

LA gets an upgrade at goal and young center, Columbus satisfies Elvis' trade request for picks and a stop gap goalie, Preds get a top 6 center and a reliable goalie to ride during Askarov's development
Change Parsinnen to Cody Glass and you have a deal but TBH i think we are looking for someone a bit more dynamic than Byfield in return for Saros

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Parssinen's untouchable.

Parssinen in untouchable, there’s no one the Predators would trade him for 1v1 (few exceptions but unrealistic)

I mean, I love Pars and his game as much as everyone else, but untouchable for no one 1 for 1?? Come on. That's an absurd statement. Cut all the emotional ties and the truth of the matter is he's a 7th rounder on pace for 20 points. He's a low end top 6 center at his absolute best projection.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I mean, I love Pars and his game as much as everyone else, but untouchable for no one 1 for 1?? Come on. That's an absurd statement. Cut all the emotional ties and the truth of the matter is he's a 7th rounder on pace for 20 points. He's a low end top 6 center at his absolute best projection.
Every good team in the NHL has homegrown centers, Preds finally have someone who will be a heady two way center, and let’s be real you can’t put that limit on him of low end top6.

I just don’t see why it has to be him you are parting ways with , I would love Byfield but dream scenario would be without letting this kid go who thinks the game like a veteran

Reactions: Scoresberg

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Every good team in the NHL has homegrown centers, Preds finally have someone who will be a heady two way center, and let’s be real you can’t put that limit on him of low end top6.

I just don’t see why it has to be him you are parting ways with , I would love Byfield but dream scenario would be without letting this kid go who thinks the game like a veteran
What about him screams top 6 two-way center? He has a whopping total of 3 minutes killing penalties in his entire career. He's skilled, but I think he settles as a high end 3C who puts up 35ish points.

Byfield has legitimate potential to be that 1C we need. He's 21 years old putting up a 60 point season

Saros does not return a young player of Byfield's ilk. If he moves (and that's a big if), it will be for high picks and/or top tier prospects yet to make the NHL level.
I floated the idea after LeBrun said on TSN yesterday that he could see LA bringing up his name to get Nashville on the phone

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
What about him screams top 6 two-way center? He has a whopping total of 3 minutes killing penalties in his entire career. He's skilled, but I think he settles as a high end 3C who puts up 35ish points.

Byfield has legitimate potential to be that 1C we need. He's 21 years old putting up a 60 point season

I floated the idea after LeBrun said on TSN yesterday that he could see LA bringing up his name to get Nashville on the phone
If Byfield has 1C potential, there's no way in hell they are trading him away for a goalie. Especially with Kopitar aging.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
LA give up a 1st, a top 5 pick and a serviceable goalie (they'd need to move Talbot or Copley rather than Rittich) for a goalie and a decent bottom 6 winger?

They've got all their 1st round picks so would surely just use one and a prospect to pick up a goalie?

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
If Byfield has 1C potential, there's no way in hell they are trading him away for a goalie. Especially with Kopitar aging.
I guess it depends how close they think they are to a cup in the next 2 or 3 years, if they want to win with Kopitar. Before the season maybe they think Dubois makes Byfield expendable for a goalie, but is that still the case? Does Kopitar-Dubois-Parssinen keep them competitive with Saros in net? LeBruns idea, I just wanted to put it to paper for a discussion

remove Columbus from this trade and try again.
LA doesn't have a goalie that would interest me as a Saros stop-gap. Thought it would be fun to try a 3 way deal

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess it depends how close they think they are to a cup in the next 2 or 3 years, if they want to win with Kopitar. Before the season maybe they think Dubois makes Byfield expendable for a goalie, but is that still the case? Does Kopitar-Dubois-Parssinen keep them competitive with Saros in net? LeBruns idea, I just wanted to put it to paper for a discussion

LA doesn't have a goalie that would interest me as a Saros stop-gap. Thought it would be fun to try a 3 way deal

Byfield is carrying Kopitar's reanimated corpse around the ice already.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To LA:
Saros
Parssinen

To CBJ:

To NSH:
Quinton Byfield
Elvis Merzlikins

No longer can do conditions on resigning

why is Columbus getting a 1st?

Reactions: Ciao and hn777

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Byfield is carrying Kopitar's reanimated corpse around the ice already.
I'll admit that I'm not watching the Kings every night, but I never would've guessed that based on Kopitar's numbers. Pacing 76 points, most minutes for a forward on the league's best PK, +11....whats his deal? Sounds like a Selke nom to me

No longer can do conditions on resigning

why is Columbus getting a 1st?
A 2nd didn't feel like enough, but I could be wrong on what kind of value Columbus puts on Elvis. My assumption is it would be a late 1st anyway, 25-30 range

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'll admit that I'm not watching the Kings every night, but I never would've guessed that based on Kopitar's numbers. Pacing 76 points, most minutes for a forward on the league's best PK, +11....whats his deal?

A 2nd didn't feel like enough, but I could be wrong on what kind of value Columbus puts on Elvis. My assumption is it would be a late 1st anyway, 25-30 range

Father Time has finally come for him, that's all. Well, and Todd's riding him into the ground (23 friggin minutes last night, open the coffin).

He's still a super smart player and he WAS finishing plays and getting PP points, but lately he's fallen off hard. But gone are the days of him gaining the zone, bulling through/around 2-3 guys like a running back, and drawing checks to open people up. Now he's just a smart dude who plays insanely good positional hockey and defense and finds space to get open and finish plays Kempe and Byfield create. That's what's prolonged his career.

Reactions: hn777

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Saros does not return a young player of Byfield's ilk. If he moves (and that's a big if), it will be for high picks and/or top tier prospects yet to make the NHL level.
Why would LA move a young player for younger futures? Are they not trying to win in the next 5 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad