L. Schenn/Defense Logjam

Shodein

May 27, 2015
With the addition of Medvedev it would appear the Flyers need to trade one or two defensemen this offseason. I'd like to gauge what the consensus think we could get for Luke Schenn in a trade...

Feel free to package players together or just state his draft pick value.

Assuming:
- Grossmann traded for a 4th or 5th rd pick
- Streit, MacDonald, MDZ, Medvedev, and Gudas are in the projected lineup.
- Vinny buyout/traded

My trade thoughts:
Trade L. Schenn and a mid round draft pick to Winnepeg for Burmistrov.

We need a solid 1st or 2nd line winger. He played with Medvedev, so he may be inclined to stay with us. This would enable us to move Morin or a young def up.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I honestly think some players we have will surprise us a bit when they are moved. Especially Grossmann. I think he gets us either a 2nd rounder(probably from next year) or a 3rd+5th rounder. Something to that extent. He isn't the type of dman fans on this site cherish but he is the type GM's love down the stretch. Experienced, tough, willing to battle and clean up the crease when need be. A team looking for that could also cherish a player like him. Anyone that is soft on the back end might be highly interested. He still plays 18 minutes a night while getting PK time.

If the Flyers make a move for an experienced dman, I think Streit might be made available. We need a team desperate for defense to take MacDonald but that right now is unlikely. Maybe next off season when the cap goes up again and the contract is one year shorter.

Hexy isn't buying out anyone I believe. He will either sit Vinny in the box again or will try to trade/mutually agree to terminate the contract. He also will be hoping Umberger has a nice bounce back year so he has some sort of value next off season. He will be in his final year of his deal and a team looking for a third liner could come calling for a playoff push.

No matter what, forwards or defense, I think this year Hexy is really going to show us what he wants to do. I think their will be a dramatic makeover on this team that we could have only dreamed of. I know a lot of people say it can't be done but I have faith that Hexy will find ways to get certain players moved or contracts taken.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't think any GM in their right mind will trade a 2nd for one season of Grossmann.

Finding takers for Grossmann and Schenn are going to require teams woefully thin on defense and who still believe in old school shot blockers and crease clearers instead of speed, possession, and analytics.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I think you could get a 2nd at the deadline for either Schenn or Grossmann. That is when they will have their highest value. At the draft, I would be pleased with a 3rd.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think you could get a 2nd at the deadline for either Schenn or Grossmann. That is when they will have their highest value. At the draft, I would be pleased with a 3rd.

When they are about to become UFAs? I doubt it.

I'd be happy with a 4th for either right now and to get their contracts off the books for the upcoming season.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I don't think any GM in their right mind will trade a 2nd for one season of Grossmann.

Finding takers for Grossmann and Schenn are going to require teams woefully thin on defense and who still believe in old school shot blockers and crease clearers instead of speed, possession, and analytics.
Every team has shot blockers and every team has crease clearers. The 4 teams that are left have dmen that can skate and can put a player on there ass. Grossmann and Streit along with all the other dmen on our team are asked to play all the wrong minutes.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Every team has shot blockers and every team has crease clearers. The 4 teams that are left have dmen that can skate and can put a player on there ass. Grossmann and Streit along with all the other dmen on our team are asked to play all the wrong minutes.

This.

Coburn is getting a lot of praise since playing less than 15min for the Bolts.
Reduce Grossmann's icetime by 5 or 6 minutes per game and he'll be fine... just not worth 3.5M per.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
When they are about to become UFAs? I doubt it.

I'd be happy with a 4th for either right now and to get their contracts off the books for the upcoming season.
every year teams overpay, and the UFA situation is mostly a positive. They trade for help in the postseason, and if it doesn't work out the guy is gone.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Murray got 2 2nd's or something one year...grossmann is no worse than him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This.

Coburn is getting a lot of praise since playing less than 15min for the Bolts.
Reduce Grossmann's icetime by 5 or 6 minutes per game and he'll be fine... just not worth 3.5M per.

Coburn's averaging 16:28 minutes per game this playoffs on a pretty balanced defensive core.

Grossmann averaged 17:39 minutes per game last year, only CC averaged fewer & he played a lot less games between the two. You can't reduce Grossmann's ice time that much, look at Chicago right now with their bottom pairing guys barely playing.

Shodein

May 27, 2015
Winnipeg has zero need for Luke Schenn.

What do you think it would take to get Burmistrov?

Keep in mind he's already expressed that he doesn't want to return to Winnepeg and could easily go back to the KHL. While they may not necessarily need another RHD, they may be willing to move other pieces so they get something for Burmistrov.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I was thinking about Winnipeg earlier today.

They actually need a LHD...not RHD. They also try and avoid rentals. So what about a MDZ for Burmistrov and Hutchinson deal?

Why? Well with Burm, we move him to left wing and have a 3rd line of:

Burm Laughton Simmonds

That should be a good 2-way line as Burm is solid defensively.

And then with Hutch, it gives us our solid backup who can play more games with no issue if Mason gets hurt. He also makes unde $600,000 so is cheap this year. Plus, he just turned 25 so is young enough to bridge the gap until Stolarz is ready.

And then for Winnipeg, they run with:

Enstrom Myers
MDZ Trouba
Stuart Buff

And then call up Hellebyuck as backup/transition to starter.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

They actually need a LHD...not RHD. They also try and avoid rentals. So what about a MDZ for Burmistrov and Hutchinson deal?

Burm Laughton Simmonds

And then with Hutch, it gives us our solid backup who can play more games with no issue if Mason gets hurt. He also makes unde $600,000 so is cheap this year. Plus, he just turned 25 so is young enough to bridge the gap until Stolarz is ready.

Enstrom Myers
MDZ Trouba
Stuart Buff

Intriguing.
But that would only make sense if they trust Medvedev to eat the 22minutes per game that MDZ has been playing this season.

Also, there is a good chance that MDZ could really thrive under Hakstol.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Burm Laughton Simmonds

Enstrom Myers
MDZ Trouba
Stuart Buff

I like it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Intriguing.
But that would only make sense if they trust Medvedev to eat the 22minutes per game that MDZ has been playing this season.

Also, there is a good chance that MDZ could really thrive under Hakstol.

That is the dilemma.

But I still think at best he is a middle 4 dman. And filling 2 spots with young players would be nice going forward.

In a perfect world...it's Grossmann and a 4th instead of MDZ...lol.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That is the dilemma.

But I still think at best he is a middle 4 dman. And filling 2 spots with young players would be nice going forward.

In a perfect world...it's Grossmann and a 4th instead of MDZ...lol.

Is that in reference to you thinking MDZ would be nice in that spot going forward...or would you prefer someone else. A little confusing since MDZ is just 24 (25 next month). Around here some folks wouldn't call that young, but I think MDZ in that spot is ideal, whether that is young or not.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Is that in reference to you thinking MDZ would be nice in that spot going forward...or would you prefer someone else. A little confusing since MDZ is just 24 (25 next month). Around here some folks wouldn't call that young, but I think MDZ in that spot is ideal, whether that is young or not.

No...what I mean is that we would not be trading MDZ for older guys...or for picks.

The ages of Burmi and Hutch fit in well with our team...but yes, so does MDZ. We just know that there is a potential logjam at LHD on the way and MDZ could be looking at a nice raise in a year or 2.

MDZ is not someone I would just trade to re-coup a pick...like I would with Schenn or Grossmann. It would have to be a deal that helps us going forward. And I think that type of deal would do that.

I was just looking for a way to add the 2 Winnipeg guys, and tried to look who they would want that would make sense on their part.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd take a first and a third for MDZ if some team was actually willing to offer sheet him above the $3,652,659 cutoff.

RFA.jpg

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
That could be a good deal for both teams, MDZ would play real well under Maurice , but would leave a left side of

Toby
MDZ
Stuart

1 and 3 are most likely going nowhere so leaves Chariot out and he looks promising for the Jets and he has earned that 2nd spot imo. Also have Morrissey knocking on the door for LHD spot in next year as well.

Read could be an option for Burmi and Hutch, he may be too small for way Jets play, but would be a good replacement for Frolik.

Read, T bay 1st for Hutch, Burmi Rights , Isles 1st

Last edited:

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
I think at this point from what Hextall and MDZ have been saying I would be shocked if he isn't here next year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Burm Laughton Simmonds

Enstrom Myers
MDZ Trouba
Stuart Buff

Burmistrov and a backup isn't worth trading our best puck-moving defensemen. We also don't have room to add a forward unless we find a way to move one of Lecavalier or Umberger, AND if we did, we could probably find a FA forward and goalie that are just as good as Burmistrov and Hutchinson.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tripod's trade thread is full of people undervaluing Del Zotto and basing their opinion of him only on his bad 13-14 season, but that's expected. Look at how many people there claimed the Wild overpaid for Dubnyk with a 3rd round pick.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Tripod's trade thread is full of people undervaluing Del Zotto and basing their opinion of him only on his bad 13-14 season, but that's expected. Look at how many people there claimed the Wild overpaid for Dubnyk with a 3rd round pick.

Aside from the ridiculous undervaluing of MDZ, I'm not surprised many Jets fans would rather see Hutch kept and Pavs traded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad