News Article: Kyrou signs 8 year extension

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
who is the lazy sob with the most giveaways on the team
hmmm…
oh, thats easy its is obviously… Thomas?

well crap,
ok, what wimpy coward has the fewest hits of anyone over 25 games
easy, it is … Thomas?

heck, lazy and wimpy he must just suck to high heaven
we should just dump him for a 6th rounder

• Haha
Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
the coaching change, and the jr-fueled controversy that led to kyrou's emotional response to being booed, and the subsequent embrace of him completely turned him around. i think kyrou's biggest problem is he can get in his head. He seems like a sensitive kid who puts lots of pressure on himself. I think at some point his perception of his relationship with berube detoriated and he lost some confidence. ironically, while berube was i think rightfully hard on him and helped make him into a much better player, kyrou's offensive struggles early this year were not an insignificant part of why chief got fired.
I think that's why he's so bad on breakaways. You can see he's trying too hard to score, rather than being relaxed and confident, and just playing instinctively. he's in his head too much trying to make sure he doesn't fail.

Reactions: Blueston

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

“I think our group let some stuff slip, let our habits slip, how we carry ourselves day-to-day,” Faulk said. “We need to be grown men in here, be mature, show up, do your work. That’s in practice, that’s in the gym, that’s off the ice. It’s just working hard and knowing what you’re asked to do and what it is. Then, the on-ice performance comes.”

“Probably boils down a little to guys worrying about themselves,” Schenn said. “Realistically, that’s what happened. When you do that, and you worry about yourself and your individual play, you’re not as worried about the team as much. It’s tough to win in this league. That’s a culture you don’t want to have is guys worrying about themselves.”
I’m starting to think Faulk might be best choice.
I had thought that Schenn and Faulk were the two most likely candidates, after O'Reilly was traded away.

Reactions: Blueston

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Hopefully he is gone by July 1st at the latest. Cannot wait to sing this when he is traded, hopefully before the draft.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It's always a gamble to give out long-term contracts to young players, based partly on their career trajectories up to that point, and on perceived upside. But it's an even more risky gamble to risk failing to re-sign them BEFORE they have their first super-breakout season, and have to pay them star-level NHL pay for a lot of years, or risk losing them early due to your team's offer being outbid. Also, teams want some stability. Teams having almost totally new lineups every couple years is disruptive to team cohesion and comfortability and playing well together through knowing their tendencies and playing well together through repetitions of plays played together. Army made the choice to make Thomas and Kyrou his offensive long-term core, and gave them very long contracts to be on the lower cost side of their primes for more years. It was a gamble, but avoided an automatic lack of future stability over the next 8 years. Also, I think lots of Blues' fans treat Kyrou as if he had been a mid-round 1st Round draft choice, although he was actually a 2nd Rounder. There was a reason for that. I think expectations for him to become an NHL star, are a bit clouded by The Blues' overhyping him, as they did for lots of players that had good careers, but didn't really reach "star level" for a consistent period.

I'm still a bit disappointed that Kyrou hasn't developed into the player I thought he could become. But, I'm happy that he, at least this past season, has shown an effort towards working to some degree on trying to improve in some of his areas of deficiency (getting back on defence, play without the puck, better control when carrying the puck and puck protection, leading players more with his passes, not shying away from contact, etc.) I wish he would also spend serious time on working on his finishing moves and up-close shooting techniques (for breakaways and shootout improvement). I hope to see a breakout year for him next season, with an eye-test quality difference in confidence and all-around play, as we saw with Thomas last season, when he seemed to move up a notch in several categories, for a much better, more confident, all-around game.

Last edited:
Reactions: stl76 and Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
It's always a gamble to give out long-term contracts to young players, based partly on their career trajectories up to that point, and on perceived upside. But it's an even more risky gamble to risk failing to re-sign them BEFORE they have their first super-breakout season, and have to pay them star-level NHL pay for a lot of years, or risk losing them early due to your team's ofer being outbid. Also, teams want some stability. Teams having almost totally new lineups every couple years is disruptive to team cohesion and comfortability and playing well together through knowing their tendencies and playing well together through repetitions of plays played together. Army made the choice to make Thomas and Kyrou his offensive long-term core, and gave them very long contracts to be on the lower cost side of their primes for more years. It was a gamble, but avoided an automatic lack of future stability over the next 8 years. Also, I think lots of Blues' fans treat Kyrou as if her had been a mid-round 1st Round draft choice, although he was actually a 2nd Rounder. There was a reason for that. I think expectations for him to become an NHL star, are a bit clouded by The Blues' overhypping him, as they did for lots of players that had good careers, but didn't really reach "star level" for a consistent period.

I'm still a bit disappointed that Kyrou hasn't developed into the player I thought he could become. But, I'm happy that he, at least this past season, has shown an effort towards working to some degree on trying to improve in some of his areas of deficiency (getting back on defence, play without the puck, better control when carrying the puck and puck protection, leading players more with his passes, not shying away from contact, etc. I wish he would also spend serious time on working on his finishing moves and up-close shooting techniques (for breakaways and shootout improvement. I hope to see a breakout year for him next season, with an eye-test quality difference in confidence and all-around play, as we saw with Thomas last season, when he seemed to move up a notch in several categories, for a much better, more confident, all-around game.
I think the issue surrounding Kyrou has a lot to do with his perceived value and potential before and after making the NHL. In the OHL, he lit up the league for 109 points before going to the AHL, then proceeds to play at nearly a point per game pace, and I feel like there was a lot of uncertainty and excitement surrounding him as a player. He was a gifted passer and a great and fast skater. That combo would bode well for Thomas and other players coming up (thinking was he would be the guy to set up Tarasenko, Perron, etc). Everyone claimed he had a bad shot and subsequently proved those people wrong. Lots of people saw the potential in him to be a 100 point player given his tools, and then he plays lazy on the defensive side (which isn't a shock because he is clearly an offense first player). Now that he has had a couple of years and two 70-point seasons, we are all expecting him to breakout for this massive offensive boost. Despite him being nearly 26, previous to this year, he only had 3 full seasons in the NHL. You expect players to start developing a defensive game after that point, which he did this year regardless of what haters will say. That's a plus.

The biggest issue is that we saw the potential for a type of player, but personally I think he has developed into roughly that player. Now he's making 8.125 mil, and I guess we're supposed to expect him to be an above average defender while scoring 90+ points. I think he has a lot to give still, but I'm perfectly happy with his development this year and expect him to hit that 80 point threshold next year while being adequate to above adequate defense. If he can hit that mark, then I think he has developed into exactly what you saw in him in juniors. The fact is that the cap is rising and players like him will out-earn him in the next few years. His deal will be a slight bargain, while Thomas has far exceeded expectations and his contract is already a massive bargain. I'd give Kyrou one more healthy season before we start lambasting his performance even though I know he will continue to be the whipping boy until he is gone.

Reactions: stl76

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Kyrou is 41st in salary right now among forwards and only going to go further down that list
he was 26th in 5v5 points and 17th in 5v5 goals among forwards this year
and his defense was solid, he isn't overpaid at all and if he just keeps similar production as salaries rise he will be underpaid, not as much as Thomas, but still underpaid

Actually tied for 25th and 15th

Last edited:

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Kyrou is 41st in salary right now among forwards and only going to go further down that list
and his defense was solid, he isn't overpaid at all and if he just keeps similar production as salaries rise he will be underpaid, not as much as Thomas, but still underpaid

good. he can take his salary and services to another team. i hear columbus or buffalo would love to have him and then he will have plenty of early springs and summers to play more fortnite and call of duty.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

Don’t let facts get in the way if a good narrative :sarcasm:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Where did you get those numbers? Quanthockey shows him as being 37th in the league in even strength goals and 60th in even strength points. I realize even strength isn't 100% the same as 5v5 but the numbers should be close at least. In even strength points per 60 minutes he was 100th in the league and 77th in scoring per 60 minutes in all situations.

The only thing I can think of is that 3v3 OT stats really skewed the even strength numbers. If Kyrou is ever going to be considered underpaid, he'll need to find a lot more consistency. Not saying he can't get there, but he has plenty of room for improvement. An $8 million player needs to be a factor almost every night, and I would argue his and Buchnevich's inconsistentcy were two big reasons we missed the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: WaltPoddubny

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Where did you get those numbers? Quanthockey shows him as being 37th in the league in even strength goals and 60th in even strength points. I realize even strength isn't 100% the same as 5v5 but the numbers should be close at least. In even strength points per 60 minutes he was 100th in the league and 77th in scoring per 60 minutes in all situations.

The only thing I can think of is that 3v3 OT stats really skewed the even strength numbers. If Kyrou is ever going to be considered underpaid, he'll need to find a lot more consistency. Not saying he can't get there, but he has plenty of room for improvement. An $8 million player needs to be a factor almost every night, and I would argue his and Buchnevich's inconsistentcy were two big reasons we missed the playoffs.
Naturalstattrick.com has him tied for 32nd for ES goals and 54th in ES Points

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Naturalstattrick.com has him tied for 32nd for ES goals and 54th in ES Points

Oh yeah, I just looked at the number next to his name and didn't realize he's tied with some guys. Still, quant would have him tied for 34th in goals and 56th in points. Someone's numbers don't line up. I guess it's true what they say about lies, damn lies and statistics.

• Haha
Reactions: WaltPoddubny

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Oh yeah, I just looked at the number next to his name and didn't realize he's tied with some guys. Still, quant would have him tied for 34th in goals and 56th in points. Someone's numbers don't line up. I guess it's true what they say about lies, damn lies and statistics.
I used 5v5 for a reason, it essentially is real hockey and 3v3 and the occasional 4v4 .. isn’t

again, he is 41st in salary among forwards, he isn’t paid like a elite player, he is paid like a very good player, which is what he is
guys at his level are streaky, it is why he is not elite and why he isn’t paid as elite

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
No one gives a f*** that you're using ES as a way to make him look worse than he is instead of 5v5 and no one gives a f*** about 3v3 and 4v4. We care about 5v5.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Get a grip dude. Some of y'all take this shit way too seriously

Well when the stats of 5v5 are used and people all of a sudden think that makes him looks "too good" they start pulling out the "even strength" stat and it's pathetic. Kyrou does very well at 5v5 so let's add 3v3 and 4v4 to try to make him look worse. When you're using 3v3 to go against someone you've already lost the argument.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Kyrou is a highly skilled player...but I don't believe that is enough given what he is paid. I need to see more, especially in terms of consistency, compete level during key moments, and leadership. You may beg to differ, but I'd rather see more Jake Neighbor type players on this team.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Kyrou is a highly skilled player...but I don't believe that is enough given what he is paid. I need to see more, especially in terms of consistency, compete level during key moments, and leadership. You may beg to differ, but I'd rather see more Jake Neighbor type players on this team.
he is 41st in pay for a forward, there are approx 13 forwards on a team (12 plus a spare) and 32 teams
so he is paid as if he is top ten percent, and he produces as if he is top 5 percent 5v5

Kyrou is very good and gets paid as if he is very good - it seems like people are disappointed that he is paid like he is very good but isn’t playing like he is elite

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Next year will be the boiling point of Kyrou. If he comes in and has a disastrous start like he did this year He will get moved at the 2025 draft before his NTC kicks in. But if he can come in and show the last 2 months are what he can bring over a full season I think he sticks here.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Next year will be the boiling point of Kyrou. If he comes in and has a disastrous start like he did this year He will get moved at the 2025 draft before his NTC kicks in. But if he can come in and show the last 2 months are what he can bring over a full season I think he sticks here.
the boiling point is long over. hes getting moved if army wants a job moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad