The Star: Kypreos: Opinion|The Leafs played hardball with Kyle Dubas, and now the clock is ticking

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Dubas gets fired he will instantly get hired by another team.

He's not bad at all.

Let's see what happens in April.

Not Dubas' fault that we're in a division with the Bruins and Tampa.

Not his fault that the cap ceiling was expected to explode and COVID came along.

Not sure he's to blame for guys like Marner getting equal pay like a UFA Tavares etc.

I like Keefe but that's where it starts if head are getting lopped off.

Nothing wrong with Shanny at all.
I would assume he would be able to find a job quite quickly, he’s learned a lot during his apprenticeship and has been trying to fix his mistakes.

There’s no question the guy works hard and really tries. However, that early cap mismanagement has been his Achilles. I hope he wins a round, keeps his job, and then fixes the thing.

Also, Boston and Tampa are in the same division. I guess people insinuate that it’s a little easier for this two because the Leafs and Panthers are the other two playoff teams. Probably true.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
both for Dubas and his players, who no doubt will be worried about who might replace him if things go awry

Worried that the next GM won't let their agents milk Kyle for every dollar they can.

Oh and I do believe he gets extended almost regardless of what happens this spring. With Nylander and Matthews extension talks likely starting July 1st, it would be a huge gamble to bring in a new face and have those talks go badly, for whatever reason.

The no extension tactic may just be to send a strong "there's going to be accountability" message to the team in general, from the GM down, that they've got to start getting results.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If Dubas gets fired he will instantly get hired by another team.

He's not bad at all.

Let's see what happens in April.

Not Dubas' fault that we're in a division with the Bruins and Tampa.

Not his fault that the cap ceiling was expected to explode and COVID came along.

Not sure he's to blame for guys like Marner getting equal pay like a UFA Tavares etc.

I like Keefe but that's where it starts if head are getting lopped off.

Nothing wrong with Shanny at all.
I think I found Dubas or Shanahan on here folks. Lol.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Nik Kypreos wrote that article as sure as he "accidentally" fell on Grant Fuhr in the 1996 playoffs against St. Louis.

On the premise of the article, it's perfectly reasonable that a GM handed a Golden Roster on a platter has to generate some playoff results before getting another contract. I know there's a seeping rot of modernity into pro sports but it's still a results based business. You have to do more than look the part and show up.

Reactions: geo25

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why make such a comment? If you read his book you’d know the guy has a great work ethic, and you’d know where it came from.
Nik Kypreos wrote that article as sure as he "accidentally" fell on Grant Fuhr in the 1996 playoffs against St. Louis.

On the premise of the article, it's perfectly reasonable that a GM handed a Golden Roster on a platter has to generate some playoff results before getting another contract. I know there's a seeping rot of modernity into pro sports but it's still a results based business. You have to do more than look the part and show up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I always thought the people you want are the ones that are better under pressure. Isn't that... wait... Isn't that like what playoff hockey is about? Nicky boy lol

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I would assume he would be able to find a job quite quickly, he’s learned a lot during his apprenticeship and has been trying to fix his mistakes.

There’s no question the guy works hard and really tries. However, that early cap mismanagement has been his Achilles. I hope he wins a round, keeps his job, and then fixes the thing.

Also, Boston and Tampa are in the same division. I guess people insinuate that it’s a little easier for this two because the Leafs and Panthers are the other two playoff teams. Probably true.
Yeah, his early mistakes caused too much damage to recover from. If he could start from scratch he'd probably be alright. But as has been said for the last few years, too much damage in too short amount of time.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, his early mistakes caused too much damage to recover from. If he could start from scratch he'd probably be alright. But as has been said for the last few years, too much damage in too short amount of time.
He can still recovery, he’s a smart guy and has been trying to fix it.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
He can still recovery, he’s a smart guy and has been trying to fix it.
He can't fix it until he doesn't have 3 x 11mil forwards on the roster. Simple as that really. He can try all he wants. He broke it badly with signings and stupid trades.

I don't really care if he's helping to throw buckets of water on a house he set fire to.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He can't fix it until he doesn't have 3 x 11mil forwards on the roster. Simple as that really. He can try all he wants. He broke it badly with signings and stupid trades.

I don't really care if he's helping to throw buckets of water on a house he set fire to.
It’s likely one of them will have to go. My guess, they’ll sign AM and WN and wait until Tavares’ contract expires.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I think I found Dubas or Shanahan on here folks. Lol.

Well you definitely found a Shanahan fan on here.

And I guess I'd have to go back and give Tim Lieuwikie (sp?) some credit.

He came in and cleaned it all up (edit, I'm talking about Shanny here). Yet he did mess up by implying prior to some big signings of our newly high drafted players that they'd take a discount (probably the only dumb thing he did)

Post Sundin era was, a very very dark era. So I remember where we were for a long time.

We just can't close out a first round victory and f*** those fake ass series against the Habs and Columbus. Habs should never have been a thing. Play-in? But yeah, pretty embarassing to lose in that case, but Carey Price being Carey Price at the right time.

It's funny, it used to be that Leafs fans were upset about ownership being what was holding them back.

And for sure Dubas is gone if they fail in the playoffs..........and he will get another job.........and he will be more experienced and have those past failures to look back on......and the team that hires him will have a really good GM in my opinion. Not the best, but quite a bit better than average. I think he'll be in the game for a very long time.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

You have to take COVID into account. You really have to.

"but every team....blah blah blah"

Not every team had a bunch of new young stars to re-sign, while having the cap projecting to rocket up to $90 million within three years, and then having to sign these guys with those projections out there and then boom.

Dubas has made mistakes though with goalies and rolled the dice this year too, and had to clean up some of Lou's mess also. He's not that bad considering how young he is.

But he's the one who will get the axe and probably Keefe too if the Leafs don't make a playoff run, no matter if they lose in triple overtime game 7 in the first round. Simple as that. Any long time Leafs fan KNOWS this, and already FEELS that, and probably is paying less attention to the regular season this year because the only thing that matters at this point is get out of the f***ing first round!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Well you definitely found a Shanahan fan on here.

And I guess I'd have to go back and give Tim Lieuwikie (sp?) some credit.

He came in and cleaned it all up (edit, I'm talking about Shanny here). Yet he did mess up by implying prior to some big signings of our newly high drafted players that they'd take a discount (probably the only dumb thing he did)

Post Sundin era was, a very very dark era. So I remember where we were for a long time.

We just can't close out a first round victory and f*** those fake ass series against the Habs and Columbus. Habs should never have been a thing. Play-in? But yeah, pretty embarassing to lose in that case, but Carey Price being Carey Price at the right time.

It's funny, it used to be that Leafs fans were upset about ownership being what was holding them back.

And for sure Dubas is gone if they fail in the playoffs..........and he will get another job.........and he will be more experienced and have those past failures to look back on......and the team that hires him will have a really good GM in my opinion. Not the best, but quite a bit better than average. I think he'll be in the game for a very long time.

Dubas will forever be etched in memory as a classic reason why you don't give the keys to the kingdom to an absolute greenhorn.

Sure, he may have learned, move on to another team and may even have some success... but we were the up-and-coming franchise that had to pay the price for that inexperience.

There was a huge window of opportunity to pounce and we lost every single year in the first round.

No end in sight realistically.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He had team USA best player, possibly team Swedens best forward, team Canada’s top rw and 3c but couldn’t build a real contender.
Pretty good at trades but lost a big one by trading Kadri, where if he kept him who knows what the team might have accomplished the last three years.
He was wrecked by Covid cap and did his best but it’s still not good enough. All in all a good and diligent GM but the leafs could have used one of those great hof gms to get them through this era. I’m getting a bad feeling the window is closing and the creativity and daring to succeed just wasn’t there.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Dubas will forever be etched in memory as a classic reason why you don't give the keys to the kingdom to an absolute greenhorn.

Sure, he may have learned, move on to another team and may even have some success... but we were the up-and-coming franchise that had to pay the price for that inexperience.

There was a huge window of opportunity to pounce and we lost every single year in the first round.

No end in sight realistically.

Still a huge window.

For both the Leafs and Dubas. For both post-Dubas Leafs and post-Leafs Dubas.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He had team USA best player, possibly team Swedens best forward, team Canada’s top rw and 3c but couldn’t build a real contender.
Pretty good at trades but lost a big one by trading Kadri, where if he kept him who knows what the team might have accomplished the last three years.
He was wrecked by Covid cap and did his best but it’s still not good enough. All in all a good and diligent GM but the leafs could have used one of those great hof gms to get them through this era. I’m getting a bad feeling the window is closing and the creativity and daring to succeed just wasn’t there.

Also slept on Hyman, his own guy.

Everyone wants to blow the bank for Meier?

Could have had him for just money, and losing a plug like Kerfoot who he's only keeping because it makes the aforementioned Kadri trade look just that much worse, optically.

He's been taking on a lot of water and it's hard when ego takes precedence of rational decisions.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

He is doing his best, but you must keep the competition in mind.

Bergeron Krejci Pastrnak Marchand Zacha = 19.7 mil CAP hit together this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad