Confirmed with Link: Kyle Quincey Traded to Columbus for Dalton Prout

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Merrill has shown this year that he's starting to get it. If this move was simply to allow us to protect him, then I dont see how anyone can complain. We were not going to get a pick that was high enough to make it matter enough. Stockpiling picks is a good thing, but does another 4th-5th or 6th really matter THAT much? It doesn't, espc not in 2017 when we have 10 picks as it stands. We will have more than enough opportunities to grab more late round selections between the draft and next season for 2018.

We also don't know if Shero was doing Quincey a favor by dealing him to a specific spot. Yea sure, if say Team A was offering a 2nd and he took Prout over that, he'd be doing the franchise a disservice, but if the difference between protecting Merrill was not taking a 5th round pick from some team or taking Prout, I believe he made the right choice. Protecting Merrill has become a priority.

It will look a lot better if we're losing Lovecrap in the ED and not Merrill.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If this is true then yes, it makes perfect sense, but I don't know why we would have "had" to expose all three players. The expansion draft rules say you only have to expose one defenseman who meets the games requirement.

So, any one of them would have been enough to meet the requirements, and we (probably) can't protect all three anyway, nor do I hope we would want to.

Maybe Shero will get into this during the Facebook live chat at 5:30 or a conference call later, but I agree with you - I think our writers are out to lunch on the protected defensemen thing. Even if you allow for the fact Greene has to be protected because of an NMC - which he should be anyway - and Severson can't count toward being protected because of his RFA status he still is going to be protected anyway.

But yes I read the rule that way too, and given that and we're protecting Greene-Sevs in all likelihood we'd already have to expose two of those three as is. Or one if they get nuts and go with the 4-4 format, but it hardly makes sense to want to protect four D on a dumpster fire unit.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Merrill has shown this year that he's starting to get it. If this move was simply to allow us to protect him, then I dont see how anyone can complain. We were not going to get a pick that was high enough to make it matter enough. Stockpiling picks is a good thing, but does another 4th-5th or 6th really matter THAT much? It doesn't, espc not in 2017 when we have 10 picks as it stands. We will have more than enough opportunities to grab more late round selections between the draft and next season for 2018.

We also don't know if Shero was doing Quincey a favor by dealing him to a specific spot. Yea sure, if say Team A was offering a 2nd and he took Prout over that, he'd be doing the franchise a disservice, but if the difference between protecting Merrill was not taking a 5th round pick from some team or taking Prout, I believe he made the right choice. Protecting Merrill has become a priority.

It will look a lot better if we're losing Lovecrap in the ED and not Merrill.

I'm fine with not getting a pick, but I don't think this has much to do with exposing Lovejoy versus not exposing Merrill. Sure, it gives us another RHD body, but the Devils kinda needed that anyway - the right side of their depth chart is trash past the guys in the NHL, and even if they pick up UDFAs, those guys probably won't be candidates for the NHL next year.

As it stands, Lovejoy is still getting 22-25 minutes a game here - I just find it hard to imagine they'll go from that to not protecting him.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
How does Corrado get traded for 2 players and a 2017 4th round pick?

I live in the Toronto area and Corrado has been the whipping boy for the last two seasons.

Quincey is worth more than Corrado.

Look at the players that Toronto took. Pittsburgh gave them the draft pick for the cap space. Eric Fehr is also still on the books for another year. At the very least he's a serviceable player but not a player we should be taking and perhaps he was being done a solid by being sent to another playoff team. Oleksy is literally nothing. Corrado had to be moved because of the # of contracts. Toronto couldnt take on 2 players without giving up one. Corrado was jettisoned.

I think you're also overlooking the roster spot that Fehr would have taken up. We're at the point where the roster spot matters. We have a plethora of bottom 6 players, but having the open spot Fehr would've taken matters. Thats a spot that one of our young players can come up and get experience with. Thats more valuable than another 4th and the 2M owed Fehr next year.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I'm fine with not getting a pick, but I don't think this has much to do with exposing Lovejoy versus not exposing Merrill. Sure, it gives us another RHD body, but the Devils kinda needed that anyway - the right side of their depth chart is trash past the guys in the NHL, and even if they pick up UDFAs, those guys probably won't be candidates for the NHL next year.

As it stands, Lovejoy is still getting 22-25 minutes a game here - I just find it hard to imagine they'll go from that to not protecting him.

I know. My comment on Lovejoy was more hope than actually thinking they'd let him go in the ED.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Devils are rebuilding, not competing.

Protecting Lovejoy over Merrill (or even Moore) is foolish. Lovejoy means far less to our future than Merrill. I would be pissed if Shero protects Lovejoy.

Just to clear something up though, Prout has little to no bearing on the Devils for the expansion draft. All he is at this point is a 7th defender drafted by Castron (so there must be something he likes about him). Devils already have Merrill, Moore, and Lovejoy that fill the 40/70 requirement and they will have to choose between one of them with Greene/Severson being protected.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I don't particularly care about fighting, but if there's going to be fights, I want us to win them. A quick perusal of youtube shows Prout dropping Lucic and Wilson hard. Dude can chuck 'em. So there's that.

Edit: also apparently "Prout" is a French term for a small fart. C'mon guys, you love this trade.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We basically swapped a depth LHD for a younger depth RHD. Given that our best RHD in the system not in the NHL is Mozik, it makes some sense. And if it guarantees never seeing Helgeson again, I'm not going to complain.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
As far as I'm concerned, this means either Shero thinks Prout is worth more than a 7th round pick or the Blue Jackets don't think Quincey is worth giving up a 7th. Why is this trade? Does Shero just wanna make some room to give Merrill a shot at bigger minutes? Or something? I don't know. I just hate Dalton Prout, is all.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As far as I'm concerned, this means either Shero thinks Prout is worth more than a 7th round pick or the Blue Jackets don't think Quincey is worth giving up a 7th. Why is this trade? Does Shero just wanna make some room to give Merrill a shot at bigger minutes? Or something? I don't know. I just hate Dalton Prout, is all.

My guess is it was either take the warm body or keep Quincey, and he wanted to do him a solid and give him a playoff run.

7th round picks have extremely little value, so it isn't outrageous to think Shero valued a warm body over a 7th.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would have been okay with giving him away for future considerations, as Auvitu would then get a crack back in the lineup.

That's the only problem I have with this return. We got a mediocre (at best) defenseman, that will probably get a rope longer than the length between Newark and Columbus. Not that I expected a good defenseman, I was just hoping we wouldn't have to go contract for contract. Unless it was a good defenseman (which I understand wasn't happening) or an AHL guy like Loov.

Or maybe a D man to replace what we lost in Reece Scarlett?:sarcasm:

I didn't think Quincey was that bad for us. Just a slow guy on a stop gap contract, who was just on his way towards the hallway of the NHL, where the exit sign was illuminated upon opening the door at the end. He was a #6 that was used as a #5 guy. #4 when depleted at times.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I would have been okay with giving him away for future considerations, as Auvitu would then get a crack back in the lineup.

That's the only problem I have with this return. We got a mediocre (at best) defenseman, that will probably get a rope longer than the length between Newark and Columbus. Not that I expected a good defenseman, I was just hoping we wouldn't have. to go contract for contract. Unless it was a good defenseman (which I understand wasn't happening) or an AHL guy like Loov.

Or maybe a D man to replace what we lost in Reece Scarlett?:sarcasm:

I didn't think Quincey was that bad for us. Just a slow guy on a stop gap contract, who was just on his way towards the hallway of the NHL, where the exit sign was illuminated upon opening the door at the end. He was a #6 that was used as a #5 guy. #4 when depleted at times.

Picture this.
Helgeson-Prout pairing

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Picture this.
Helgeson-Prout pairing

I really gotta get some sleep tonight at some point.

I may as well guzzle 5 energy drinks after reading that.

Sleep will be hard to come by.

Helgeson-Prout

Urbom-Scarlett

Adam Oates behind the bench and Mike Foligno behind the bench. The all Devils TRASH team right there.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Helgeson-Prout

Urbom-Scarlett

Adam Oates behind the bench and Mike Foligno behind the bench. The all Devils TRASH team right there.

Missing Fraser. I'd take 6 Helgesons over 1 Fraser...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Helgeson-Prout

Urbom-Scarlett

Add a Magnan - Gragnani/Warsofsky pairing there too.

cup.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad