Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
350694138_1299920867299304_2941675720570979163_n.jpg

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Dont you kind of lose respect by public proclaiming it's Toronto or nowhere while negotiating a deal, before immediately going somewhere else when you didn't get your deal?

Seems really scummy to me and I can't imagine what a charitable interpretation of that would even look like.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Dont you kind of lose respect by public proclaiming it's Toronto or nowhere while negotiating a deal, before immediately going somewhere else when you didn't get your deal?

Seems really scummy to me and I can't imagine what a charitable interpretation of that would even look like.

Toronto fired him/didn't offer him a contract. That changes everything imo. It was supposed to be his choice, and not forced upon him.

If I were Dubas, that would remove any emotions or loyalty towards the Leafs organization going forward. It's become personal now between him and Shanny, and everyone knows it. He doesn't lose any respect for going right back to work.

People keep saying Dubas overplayed his hand, but TO management and everyone else should accept the reality that this guy is in high demand around the league. Hes got another job as a GM as soon as he wants it.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Is there a Church of Dubas erected in Toronto that I've been completely unaware of this entire time? Would think so judging by some of the comments here.

Dubas is a promising GM talent that will more than likely go on to have a great career when all is said and done, but he had flaws as the GM and it seemed like he had wore out his welcome with the senior brass.

Of his fundamental flaws they seem to be driven by lack of NHL experience and the wisdom that comes over time. He bet big on his expensive core four, and doubled down on this failed vision of a team time after time.

In the cap era no team has succeeded with three mega contracts on three players, no less players all at forward position. It was clear as day that the team was being hampered due to this- depth, defence, Goaltending, size and grit all taking a back seat.

Considering his cap constraints he did an admirable job trying to round out the roster with shrewd pickups, but is really skirting around the main issue with the team rather than tackling it head on.

VGK and FLA are two teams that are analytic forward teams, that marry this with conventional hockey wisdom. Defensive play, depth especially at centre, size throughout the line up, tenacity and winning puck battles etc. all important coke postseason. FLA especially after their presidents trophy winning season took a hard look last offseason at how they played and reasessed their approach to their game which Maurice outlined in his presser upon hiring.

At a glance it seemed like Dubas was trying so hard to prove his core philosophy was right and rewrite the books on GM'ing instead of really being honest on his team and how they can change for the better.

For a supposed analytic heavy guy he clearly has misvalued critical elements of championship calibre hockey in whatever models he built.

Old school brass probably had enough of this new school experiment, and more comfortable that a veteran hand will be better placed to steer this forward.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Toronto fired him/didn't offer him a contract. That changes everything imo. It was supposed to be his choice, and not forced upon him.

If I were Dubas, that would remove any emotions or loyalty towards the Leafs organization going forward. It's become personal now between him and Shanny, and everyone knows it. He doesn't lose any respect for going right back to work.

People keep saying Dubas overplayed his hand, but TO management and everyone else should accept the reality that this guy is in high demand around the league. Hes got another job as a GM as soon as he wants it.

I'm sure there's 16 teams in the league every year that would love first round exits. The fact that there's such high demand just shows it's about right place right time more than contribution or results.

Dubas took a team that lost in the first round 3x in a row and upgraded it to a team that lost in the first round 7x in a row, with 2 1st round picks traded for a second round exit in his last season.

The fact there's demand just shows you how low the expectations in this league are. Let's see what Dubas can accomplish when he isn't gifted a 21 year old Matthews, 22 year old Marner and 23 year old Nylander entering their prime.

That said - Dubas did 100% overplay his hand unless he becomes the highest paid GM in the league next season with private jet access - which was his ask from Toronto. If you're currently making 60K while performing poorly and you ask your current employer for 200K year after they offer you 100K, them saying no and walking away and you then getting a new job for 70K a year is the definition of overplaying your hand.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

No.

• Haha
Reactions: Canadienna

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm sure there's 16 teams in the league every year that would love first round exits. The fact that there's such high demand just shows it's about right place right time more than contribution or results.

Dubas took a team that lost in the first round 3x in a row and upgraded it to a team that lost in the first round 7x in a row, with 2 1st round picks traded for a second round exit in his last season.

The fact there's demand just shows you how low the expectations in this league are. Let's see what Dubas can accomplish when he isn't gifted a 21 year old Matthews, 22 year old Marner and 23 year old Nylander entering their prime.

That said - Dubas did 100% overplay his hand unless he becomes the highest paid GM in the league next season with private jet access - which was his ask from Toronto. If you're currently making 60K while performing poorly and you ask your current employer for 200K year after they offer you 100K, them saying no and walking away and you then getting a new job for 70K a year is the definition of overplaying your hand.

If he takes the Penguins job then ya IL admit he probably overplayed his hand. But he did not, even though they were willing to hand him the job over everyone else....

Which again alludes to my point that he's very highly in demand. The Leafs GM position not so much as evidence by them going with Treliving.

Edit: lmao yup OK he overplayed it

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Be curious if he takes the Pens job how he fairs. I mean they have a very very shallow prospect pool and draft prospects...which is usually his bargaining chip in regards to trades.

Crosby.Letang.Malkin are all at the part in their careers where they should get 1-2-3 year deals with minimal no-trade clauses.

Whoever becomes GM there has a short window of opportunity followed by lots of pain.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If he takes the Penguins job then ya IL admit he probably overplayed his hand. But he did not, even though they were willing to hand him the job over everyone else....

Which again alludes to my point that he's very highly in demand. The Leafs GM position not so much as evidence by them going with Treliving.

Edit: lmao yup OK he overplayed it

Yeah, he took the Penguins job.

Smart guy though - he turned his failure as a GM into a promotion... albeit with less pay. Now he won't actually have to produce results as he's not the GM.

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad