Confirmed with Link: Kyle Dubas given permission to speak to Avs

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Leafs Lunch host Andi Petrillo and co-hosts Dave Poulin and Pierre LeBrun are joined by Toronto Sun columnist Steve Simmons to explain the apparent miscommunication about the Colorado Avalanche’s intentions in reaching out to Toronto Maple Leafs Assistant GM Kyle Dubas.

Pierre LeBrun says the Toronto Maple Leafs misunderstood the Kyle Dubas’ talk with the Colorado Avalanche.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/lebrun-leafs-misunderstood-dubas-talk-with-the-avs~1144777

pacman25

Mar 15, 2013
It was changed to Assistant GM, same title as Dubas.

It's on the Leafs website.

He retained his other position when he was named assistant GM. Its not listed on the leafs website anymore but Lou even said that Hunters job wasnt going to change, it was just a recognition of his hard work and probably a way to give him a pay raise so he doesent go somewhere else

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Leafs Lunch host Andi Petrillo and co-hosts Dave Poulin and Pierre LeBrun are joined by Toronto Sun columnist Steve Simmons to explain the apparent miscommunication about the Colorado Avalanche’s intentions in reaching out to Toronto Maple Leafs Assistant GM Kyle Dubas.

Pierre LeBrun says the Toronto Maple Leafs misunderstood the Kyle Dubas’ talk with the Colorado Avalanche.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/lebrun-leafs-misunderstood-dubas-talk-with-the-avs~1144777

It's difficult for me to believe that Shanahan/Lou are so naive that they thought Colorado was asking for permission to talk to Dubas and it not being about a job. It's beneath our intelligence.

This is clearly an 'after-the-fact'/saving face excuse for why the Leafs decided to pull the plug on the negotiations and changed their mind on keeping Dubas.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He retained his other position when he was named assistant GM. Its not listed on the leafs website anymore but Lou even said that Hunters job wasnt going to change, it was just a recognition of his hard work and probably a way to give him a pay raise so he doesent go somewhere else
We've actually shifted our scouting department around which has slightly changed his role. We've now installed 4 guys who each manage an area.

Tim Speltz-Western Area Director- former Spokane GM

Lindsay Hoffard-Eastern Area Director-Hunters right-hand man in London

John Lilley-USA Area Director-Long time Leafs Scout and one of the few who survived the scouting purge of 2015.

Ari Vuori-European Director of Scouting-Former Red Wings scout under Andersson and Kings scout credited with Kopitar.

Their positions outside of Vuori's didn't exist til this season, and Vuori's was only created in 2015.

Hunter oversees all these guys and is obviously a key cross-checking scout. Although, all these guys will go to different regions to check on guys their colleagues like and meet up at major events. The Leafs have quickly created a new scouting staff with many new faces with a more streamlined approach.

The interesting thing about the Leafs front office, out of the major players talked about, I'm pretty sure Dubas is the only one who lives in Toronto full-time, although I'm sure Lou and Shanny both have Condo's in the city despite having Tri-state residency. Hunter still lives in south-western Ontario, which works fine from a scouting perspective but it may indicate he doesn't even want the big chair long-term. Overtime, I think we see a powersharing agreement. Hunter runs the prospects, drafting and development. Dubas runs the analytics and day to day roster management alongside Pridham.

Last edited:

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Can we please delete the red "confirmed with link" title?

It's that time of the year again when anything can happen any time. I always think something new is up, than I see this old thread.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A cross-checking scout, eh? Seem a bit counter-intuitive. Could also be fairly illegal if done outside a rink.
Haha, a common term for guys who are flown into a region to check on a guy previously liked by other scouts. For example, say that Vuori or Berglund absolutely loves Brannstrom, at some point we'd send out a senior regional scout and/or Hunter to see if they agree and he fits what the organization is looking for.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Man. Simmons is just the worst.... always trying to create drama where there is none. I never get the sense that he has actually had the conversations he claims to have had. Shanahan' talking out of both sides of his mouth' lol.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
People here may not like Simmons but i always find it hard to believe that y'all think he makes things up. IF he did. he'd not have a job. obviously there's SOMETHING not jiving here and Simmons is going by what he hears. or anyone else. like it's fine to side-eye it but to think he is creating drama... well it pretty much wrote it self.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
People here may not like Simmons but i always find it hard to believe that y'all think he makes things up. IF he did. he'd not have a job. obviously there's SOMETHING not jiving here and Simmons is going by what he hears. or anyone else. like it's fine to side-eye it but to think he is creating drama... well it pretty much wrote it self.
Sports reporting doesn't have high standards. And, even if he isn't making things up, he is giving everything the most over-dramatic spin he can think of while having some level of truth in it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Eh, he seems to play pretty loose with the truth, either making things up (and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say this is likely NOT the case) or using very questionable sources - ie that kessel hotdog story he wrote a little while ago was essentially disproven by other hockey writers.

I generally view him in the same tier as hockey buzz staff.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Eh, he seems to play pretty loose with the truth, either making things up (and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say this is likely NOT the case) or using very questionable sources - ie that kessel hotdog story he wrote a little while ago was essentially disproven by other hockey writers.

I generally view him in the same tier as hockey buzz staff.
I don't really pay attention to Hockey Buzz because they are easy to avoid, but I don't really have an issue with them. They play fast and loose with trade rumors and probably outright make stuff up. But, generally, the articles are just about trades or rumors. What Simmons does in my mind is actually worse. He tends to play fast and loose with stories that are potentially damaging to people's reputation. While not as bad as American hot-take artists like Steven A Smith or Skip Bayless, that basically is the approach he takes with stories a significant amount of the time. Him and POS are probably the two worst employees TSN has as on-air talent.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

Writers most certainly produce pieces sourced in, uh..."sources".

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015

It's just typical sports writers jockeying for position stuff. And for the record, I do believe he makes things up. He looks for smoke, and creates his own fire. The Kessel hot dog story is just one example. He often uses ' conversations' he's had with nhl personnel that conveniently frame his arguments, and obviously he can't divulge them. In my mind, he's right there with hockey buzz.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't really pay attention to Hockey Buzz because they are easy to avoid, but I don't really have an issue with them. They play fast and loose with trade rumors and probably outright make stuff up. But, generally, the articles are just about trades or rumors. What Simmons does in my mind is actually worse. He tends to play fast and loose with stories that are potentially damaging to people's reputation. While not as bad as American hot-take artists like Steven A Smith or Skip Bayless, that basically is the approach he takes with stories a significant amount of the time. Him and POS are probably the two worst employees TSN has as on-air talent.

Can't stand POs either. The problem with a guy like Simmons is he often clings to the act that he's employed by the Sun/Postmedia as some sort of level of authority on things. When a lot of his writings comes across like the stuff you'd find in the TSN comments sections

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's just typical sports writers jockeying for position stuff. And for the record, I do believe he makes things up. He looks for smoke, and creates his own fire. The Kessel hot dog story is just one example. He often uses ' conversations' he's had with nhl personnel that conveniently frame his arguments, and obviously he can't divulge them. In my mind, he's right there with hockey buzz.

That's a good way of putting things. He doesn't make things up (assumingly) but certainly likes to spin narratives in a certain way that fits his views

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
It's difficult for me to believe that Shanahan/Lou are so naive that they thought Colorado was asking for permission to talk to Dubas and it not being about a job. It's beneath our intelligence.

This is clearly an 'after-the-fact'/saving face excuse for why the Leafs decided to pull the plug on the negotiations and changed their mind on keeping Dubas.

Perhaps the Leafs are just waiting for Colorado to offer up some Compensation for Dubey Dubey Do.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Well one important distinction to be aware of with Simmons is that he's a columnist, not a journalist. His job is not to "get to the bottom" of something and find truth. His job is to offer an opinion, get attention and create entertainment.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Well one important distinction to be aware of with Simmons is that he's a columnist, not a journalist. His job is not to "get to the bottom" of something and find truth. His job is to offer an opinion, get attention and create entertainment.

He calls himself an "opinion writer"... I have seen him tweet that about himself.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He calls himself an "opinion writer"... I have seen him tweet that about himself.

Yea. So I mean within reason he'll say what he can to get a rise. While saying he's "heard" from a "source" some really trivial piece of information, that's likely within "reason" but then he blows that trivial information way out of proportion with his "opinion" and it's essentially making things up.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I cannot believe you are defending him.

To me, I think what he does is always ask questions that are so far out there and try to get a quick reaction response then twist the answer and make a huge deal about it. I can still remember the first press Conf, to introduce Lou as GM and he asked something along the line of is Babs job safe....Lou was stunned and just laughed it off. Recently, I saw a video about a Europe Pro Basketball player got sent home in the middle of a playoff game bc his wife went into labor. During the post match press Conf., one guy asked the guy what he thinks about that, the coach was stunned and asked what do you mean...I was the one who told him to leave the game and be with his wife....the journalist kept asking why would you do that, isn't leaving is abandoning the team bc it is the Conference finals...the coach actually said there will be many more playoffs games and championships but there will only be ONE moment to witness the birth of your child....to me that journalist is Simmons in Europe.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Yea. So I mean within reason he'll say what he can to get a rise. While saying he's "heard" from a "source" some really trivial piece of information, that's likely within "reason" but then he blows that trivial information way out of proportion with his "opinion" and it's essentially making things up.

Bingo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad