Confirmed with Link: Kyle Dubas given permission to speak to Avs

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Something sounds questionable about putting faith in someone who is only interested once you became 'sexy' :laugh:. Though we certainly go there with free agents.

But really I don't see any real issue if Hunter or Dubas gets the job quickly once Lou is ready to move on. The leg work and interviewing was done....when we hired these guys. We didn't have a GM and they were still trusted with running this franchise until we did. It's not like they would be passing the job onto people they never intended to have doing that job or never trusted with that kind of responsibility.

I get the idea of looking around when the time comes. But at the same time that kind of internal advancement seems like something Shanahan would prefer. Getting this team to the point where our players are advancing from within the system and our management and coaching are coming up from within our own framework.

:laugh:
this is also true. I think you've heard me rant (both here and via PM) that i have a lot of respect for people who want to be here and be the difference to make us well. sexy LOL not "Oh hey look now it looks safe, let's go."

but on the other hand, esp. for Toronto, I can see why you'd want some stability. especially for a management person. I also like to point out that the leafs didn't really get to interview a lot. (though a lot of it was done under Shanahan Cloak of Secrecy so who knows who he got). We DO know GMGM got interviewed (now in Vegas). He wanted Gorton (interviewed - turned down) and both guys said nope we're good in Tampa. Blake i think turned down the chance (now GM in LA), and I don't think we targeted Futa.

But now you have a Goaltender, #1 Centre, a guy who COULD be the #1 centre, high octane wingers, and really dooable defense. and the atmosphere here is really stable, and again. "sexy". so you can come here and you know for the most part you've got a pacified fan base and Shanahan runs most of the MASSIVE decisions anyway (thus as long as you agree with the fundamentals, you're pretty good). Maybe that attracts say a BriseBois/Verbeek now (who also want to run a team now coz Yzerman isn't going anywhere now) where as 3 years ago they didn't.

Verbeek/BriseBois run the analytics team, they run the cap and they do the Crunch all REALLY well and represent a lot of stuff we love here too. then the question now is is Dubas compared to those two really the best choice (i dunno) but do you not call and say "wanna come for an interview?" I'd at least do it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
But what you need to consider, is that Dubas runs our analytics and the Marlies really well. We also have a guy who helped build the current CBA.

Dubas has been our AGM or Acting GM for 3 years now. It'll be 4 after this upcoming season. There's no real reason to look elsewhere, because we have a candidate that has been great at his role, knows how the management team works, and all that jazz.

We want to be the team that other franchises come to, to try and hire our guys for their big roles. What kind of message does it send, if instead of promoting one of our own AGM's, we just look elsewhere instead? I get wanting to do due-diligence, but there's not really a point, considering we arguably the two top candidates in our organization.

Our next search should be for another AGM to replace whoever moves into the GM spot (likely Dubas)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
But what you need to consider, is that Dubas runs our analytics and the Marlies really well. We also have a guy who helped build the current CBA.

Dubas has been our AGM or Acting GM for 3 years now. It'll be 4 after this upcoming season. There's no real reason to look elsewhere, because we have a candidate that has been great at his role, knows how the management team works, and all that jazz.

We want to be the team that other franchises come to, to try and hire our guys for their big roles. What kind of message does it send, if instead of promoting one of our own AGM's, we just look elsewhere instead? I get wanting to do due-diligence, but there's not really a point, considering we arguably the two top candidates in our organization.

Our next search should be for another AGM to replace whoever moves into the GM spot (likely Dubas)

I don't think it would look bad if after an extensive search should there be a better candidate Shanahan decided to go with him instead. Again. if it's sounding like i'm like pooh, pooh, Dubas, i'm not. I just want Shanahan to do his due diligence and get the best guy period. if it "looks" bad that Dubas doesn't get hired but we have the person, lump it, Dubas, and who else thinks that who may not want to come here because you don't get 'gifted' a job. It also looks bad that we have Robidas Island, but it's the best for the team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I said earlier that promoting of Dubas to the GM role once Lou is ready to step down wouldn't be a bad thing because he obviously agrees with the direction of Shanahan. To possibly hire someone from another team might be rocking the boat. As we saw recently the Kings promoted Rob Blake as their next GM and didn't think to interview anyone else.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think it would look bad if after an extensive search should there be a better candidate Shanahan decided to go with him instead. Again. if it's sounding like i'm like pooh, pooh, Dubas, i'm not. I just want Shanahan to do his due diligence and get the best guy period. if it "looks" bad that Dubas doesn't get hired but we have the person, lump it, Dubas, and who else thinks that who may not want to come here because you don't get 'gifted' a job. It also looks bad that we have Robidas Island, but it's the best for the team.
Let's say Lou doesn't want to be the GM after next season as an example. If there is no other up and coming executive from another team who has been talked about as a future GM, what's the point of Shanahan looking for someone else? In fact one could argue it's Dubas himself who is that executive and since we already have him why not promote him?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It's not about being gifted a job. If there were any signs Dubas or Hunter weren't good at their jobs, than sure, look elsewhere. However, unless you are bringing in someone with GM experience, then what can someone have, that Hunter or Dubas don't?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Let's say Lou doesn't want to be the GM after next season as an example. If there is no other up and coming executive from another team who has been talked about as a future GM, what's the point of Shanahan looking for someone else? In fact one could argue it's Dubas himself who is that executive and since we already have him why not promote him?

wait who is talked about?
isn't that what interviewing does? like i don't need them to be talked about. really. i think i'm just trying to be consistent. I don't think Shanahan can say i want competition for my team and earn your spot, so we're always bringing in people on ATOs, and PTOs and UFA signings, and then when it comes for the GM Shanahan can go. "oh yah, here, go ahead).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
wait who is talked about?
isn't that what interviewing does? like i don't need them to be talked about. really. i think i'm just trying to be consistent. I don't think Shanahan can say i want competition for my team and earn your spot, so we're always bringing in people on ATOs, and PTOs and UFA signings, and then when it comes for the GM Shanahan can go. "oh yah, here, go ahead).
The difference in my opinion is Shanahan knows what he's got with Dubas. Let's say Mike Futa, Julien Brisebois or Pat Verbeek want to become GM's 1 year from now and Lou Lamoriello has decided he wants to step down. Are those names any better than Dubas? I agree Shanahan should maybe consider them besides Dubas, but there is a reason why they prevented Dubas from talking anymore with Colorado.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Just watched the new insider trading. Another unsurprisingly stupid comment from Dreger on Dubas at the end of the clip.

Dreger claims that the leafs were letting Dubas help Colorado with their team and analytics without any job offer on the table...what an idiotic thing to say. Yeah we'll let our analytics guy and assistant GM help you build your team. I wonder if he actually thinks before he talks.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Just watched the new insider trading. Another unsurprisingly stupid comment from Dreger on Dubas at the end of the clip.

Dreger claims that the leafs were letting Dubas help Colorado with their team and analytics without any job offer on the table...what an idiotic thing to say. Yeah we'll let our analytics guy and assistant GM help you build your team. I wonder if he actually thinks before he talks.

wait. what?
that makes zero sense. why would someone do that?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's not about being gifted a job. If there were any signs Dubas or Hunter weren't good at their jobs, than sure, look elsewhere. However, unless you are bringing in someone with GM experience, then what can someone have, that Hunter or Dubas don't?
With the exception of when Brian Burke got hired there aren't many previous GM's available with that type of experience on the market. Off the top of my head the only former GM's I can think of who are not employed as one today is John Ferguson Jr and Dave Nonis, who Toronto previously fired. Besides them I don't think teams are running to Tim Murray's front door to hire him as their next GM after what happened in Buffalo.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

That doesn't make any sense. I know among the TSN Insiders other people think Dreger is the worst one and in the past I never agreed with that. However after reading that I can see why some people have thought that.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

i don't know. that's why you interview?
:laugh: i know i'm probably being more bullheaded on this than I probably should. I just think that Shanahan should cross the T's and dot the I's is all. felt that before we brought in Lou, feel that way after Lou goes.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
wait. what?
that makes zero sense. why would someone do that?

I have no clue :laugh: maybe I am not understanding what he was trying to say. But he suggested the Leafs had no idea Colorado wanted to hire him and that they were letting him help them with analytics philosophies? Very confused.

That doesn't make any sense. I know among the TSN Insiders other people think Dreger is the worst one and in the past I never agreed with that. However after reading that I can see why some people have thought that.

He was really good in the Nonis days. I remember him having a lot of good insider info back then. But he has been irrelevant lately in my opinion. He just says weird things now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
i don't know. that's why you interview?
:laugh: i know i'm probably being more bullheaded on this than I probably should. I just think that Shanahan should cross the T's and dot the I's is all. felt that before we brought in Lou, feel that way after Lou goes.
Besides wanting to talk with Rob Blake, being denied permission to speak with Jeff Gorton and the thought of Mike Futa, what other names were talked about before Lou got hired? Since no one saw the hiring of Lou even happening that speaks to Shanahan keeping things quiet, so maybe there was other names that never got reported. Still things are different now than they were 2 years ago. By that I mean Dubas has got more experience and why no one would be surprised if Shanahan automatically names him the next Leafs GM.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Besides wanting to talk with Rob Blake, being denied permission to speak with Jeff Gorton and the thought of Mike Futa, what other names were talked about before Lou got hired? Since no one saw the hiring of Lou even happening that speaks to Shanahan keeping things quiet, so maybe there was other names that never got reported. Still things are different now than they were 2 years ago. By that I mean Dubas has got more experience and why no one would be surprised if Shanahan automatically names him the next Leafs GM.

The only one i know for sure is George McPhee. and he was the front runner for a while (well at least in the Media, anyway). and Shanahan said "there were other candidates but I don't think it's fair to say anything."

l

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The only one i know for sure is George McPhee. and he was the front runner for a while (well at least in the Media, anyway). and Shanahan said "there were other candidates but I don't think it's fair to say anything."

l
Maybe this isn't fair to say but considering McPhee is the one who traded Filip Forsberg to Nashville, maybe it's good he didn't get the GM job with the Leafs. Although if he wanted to make a similar trade involving Marner or Nylander, I think Shanahan would step in to stop it.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think it's possible the Leafs have in place a succession plan where they've already gone through the process of choosing their next GM, be it Hunter or Dubas, and are now in the process of training him for the job.

Then again, perhaps they do go through an exhaustive search process when the time comes.

We can't really tell, looking in from the outside.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think it's possible the Leafs have in place a succession plan where they've already gone through the process of choosing their next GM, be it Hunter or Dubas, and are now in the process of training him for the job.
I don't ever see this happening since it failed in Dallas with Brett Hull and Les Jackson, but what if Dubas and Hunter were named full time CO-GM's once Lou is ready to step down. I only bring that up because of how others think both of them might want the job and it seems the fans don't want either to leave for another team. I know that was done in the past with them after Dave Nonis got fired, however it was only temporary and I'm sure both have learned a lot since that time.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Maybe this isn't fair to say but considering McPhee is the one who traded Filip Forsberg to Nashville, maybe it's good he didn't get the GM job with the Leafs. Although if he wanted to make a similar trade involving Marner or Nylander, I think Shanahan would step in to stop it.

the thing is, i feel that there's no perfect GM. There are some I wouldn't want around with an eleventymillion foot pole no matter how good they are or perceived to be. (Brian Burke, I'm looking at you). The thing is for me is how you can rectify your mistakes, if this makes sense. like GMGM made the STUPIDEST move (for the STUPIDEST return) but if the Caps won the cup that year is it still that stupid? (well yah, it is because Erat, really?)

Mork could be right (so is Cor, but unlike Bert, i don't have issues saying it Cor :wg: ) - again i think it's just more to appease my mind more than anything.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

brendan shanahan will tell people that the most important hiring he has made since joining the leafs has been assistant gm mark hunter. But he apparently told the nhl head office recently that kyle dubas will be the next gm of the leafs. So what’s true and what’s politics? and considering lamoriello has no plans to go anywhere for the next while, how does shanahan keep hunter and dubas, two men who view themselves as future general managers, as hard working and productive teammates?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Leaf nation ... :help:

Riemer<>Bernier
kadri<>bozak
Rielly<>Gardiner
Willie<>Mitch
Hunter<>Dubas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad