Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetracksuit

Nov 25, 2015
Except I’m not wrong. I have plenty to back me up. You have weak digs?

If your metric for being over rated is three 30 goal seasons in a row, and 2 of those years were on an entry level contract ... please. Let me build a team with only over rated players.

Is anyone really under the guise here that we are paying this guy to play defense?

Reactions: Jets 31

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
KC is the most overrated Jet. He has some great puck skills around the net, but he's just not anywhere near as good as his scoring numbers lead people to believe. Connor was the player to trade from a pure hockey standpoint.

1. I agree that he's overrated
2. I agree that I would have traded Connor instead of Laine
3. We didn't trade Connor though, and he's still a really good player, so might as well enjoy having him

Reactions: Adam da bomb

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He isn't the greatest defender
He like Laine are bad in our end
You can't afford to have too many of them in your top 6
He is signed to a long term deal at a reasonable rate
Laine was not
Really that should end who should be traded or not
laine is bad, but KC has gotten progressively worse each year.

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The issue with Connor defensively is particularly related to his ineffectiveness in zone exits. He is a turnover machine in his own end, and then doesn't have the DNA to cover opponents. I think a lot of it is his attitude, rather than effort. He manages the puck in his own zone the same way he does in the offensive zone, looking for high risk/reward plays with the puck. The problem is that the risk/reward balance is much difference in the defensive zone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The issue with Connor defensively is particularly related to his ineffectiveness in zone exits. He is a turnover machine in his own end, and then doesn't have the DNA to cover opponents. I think a lot of it is his attitude, rather than effort. He manages the puck in his own zone the same way he does in the offensive zone, looking for high risk/reward plays with the puck. The problem is that the risk/reward balance is much difference in the defensive zone.

He needs to be coached here, this is where Maurice should be spending his time with this player. There is no reason why Conner can't be coached to simplify on his zone exits. The fact that it is still a massive issue this far into his career indicated its not something that has been properly addressed by our coaching staff.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
He needs to be coached here, this is where Maurice should be spending his time with this player. There is no reason why Conner can't be coached to simplify on his zone exits. The fact that it is still a massive issue this far into his career indicated its not something that has been properly addressed by our coaching staff.
K.C. explicitly does not need coaching
upload_2021-3-12_10-49-24.png

Jets' Kyle Connor rounding out his game, with 'top-10 player' potential - Sportsnet.ca

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I know what Maurice has said. He needs to either overcome his biases on certain players or get over his fear of rocking the boat with his core guys.

I can't believe that Noone on that coaching staff hasn't pointed out to Maurice his deficiencies.
I think Maurice says a lot of things for effect. I highly doubt that he's just stopped coaching half the team. But if he's not concerned about Connor's play in his own zone, then he's not paying attention.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Maurice says a lot of things for effect. I highly doubt that he's just stopped coaching half the team. But if he's not concerned about Connor's play in his own zone, then he's not paying attention.

I'm sure he still does coach the players he says he doesn't but you have to question how effective he is at it when there has been zero improvement over 4 years on certain aspects of different players games.

To me it looks like he doesn't focus a lot on the defensive aspect of our top 6 forwards and seems to turn a blind eye to poor play in their end by them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm sure he still does coach the players he says he doesn't but you have to question how effective he is at it when there has been zero improvement over 4 years on certain aspects of different players games.

To me it looks like he doesn't focus a lot on the defensive aspect of our top 6 forwards and seems to turn a blind eye to poor play in their end by them.
I think he notices it, and very likely focuses on it in coaching. It's not uncommon for him to praise a player for playing "beneath" the puck to support in the D zone (PLD, notably), and he comments on issues like "cheating for offense" in the D zone. He'd have to be blind not to see that Scheifele and Connor have some deficits in those areas. As I recall, earlier this season I think Maurice even alluded to Scheifele working more on his D zone play. That's as far as he'll go to publicly criticizing top players that have good work ethic.

But it does raise questions about the effectiveness of the coaching. Why can't Connor be better at zone exits, or at least limiting easy turnovers in his zone? Maybe Connor is hard-wired that way and they need a strategy that doesn't rely on decision making. I thought it was interesting that Maurice mentioned that he liked PLD at C with Connor partly because he played as a good supporter (Scheifele tends to fly the zone).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine was not

Yes and no.
But only 1 of them requested a trade.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

But, but, but ....... Maurice says Connor is so good he doesn't even need to be coached any more.

Reactions: surixon

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Laine was not
If Laine's was playing anywhere near this display that Kyle Connor is putting on right now he'd be crucified every day on these boards and in the media. And he was, for this exact display just last year (even if Micah's isolation attributed only a portion of it towards him (and I'm pretty sure even the most casual of fans saw this improvement in Laine's defensive play)). Connor's current shot map against for this season is nearly just as bad, and as my Twitter post showed, his isolation is 10 times worse. (Disclaimer: yes those WOWYs is including everyone else on the ice with them at the time so be mindful with your conclusions.)

Yet it's all quiet on the western front as people see his 12 goals for this season (6 of them on the PP) even though he's seen 24 GA (19 xGA) at 5v5 this season, good for a 41.51% GF% and 39.64% xGF% respectively. That xGF% is disastrous, and the likes of Blake Wheeler's horrid start to the season is there with him, along with Harkins and Vesalainen's time (but at least they had an excuse as their Quality of Teammates ranking in xGAR±/60 is second last and last respectively, whereas Connor's is 8th).

There should be no excuse for Connor's play in the defensive zone right now. And I'm not asking for Maurice to go to his next press conference and publicly crucify him (or have the media ask the softest question ever so Maurice can lash out as he did in Wheeler's case earlier this season), but I've seen no other form of accountability and he certainly hasn't outscored his problems enough to justify his remaining in "Maurice's Top 6 (TM)" with his continued lack of effort in the defensive zone, and the media has barely said anything about it.

He's the second highest paid player on this team and has no competition for his talents with Laine now gone, so he better damn well start playing like it - especially in a season where walking into the Top 4 in the postseason could be a freaking cakewalk if this damn team doesn't stop ignoring its blemishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad