Kyle Clifford

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Big guy, good skater for his size. Really good forechecker who likes to bang bodies. Loves to drop the gloves. Good on the cycle and along the wall, using his size to win battles. Good defensively, although will need to continue to improve in that area to play a bottom six role in the NHL. Offensive skills improved over the year, although I still don't see a lot of offensive upside. At best you're probably looking at a guy who can make an impact similar to Chris Neil, and at worst your typical 4th line body banger.

Captain Mittens*

Big guy, good skater for his size. Really good forechecker who likes to bang bodies. Loves to drop the gloves. Good on the cycle and along the wall, using his size to win battles. Good defensively, although will need to continue to improve in that area to play a bottom six role in the NHL. Offensive skills improved over the year, although I still don't see a lot of offensive upside. At best you're probably looking at a guy who can make an impact similar to Chris Neil, and at worst your typical 4th line body banger.
Anyone else?

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Anyone else?

Clifford didn’t bloom until the second half of his second season in the OHL, but he’s blossomed into a power winger who can skate, drop the gloves and pop the occasional goal. He’s a legitimate tough guy who skates quite well for a big man and has enough skill to play a regular shift. Lots of teams are laying in the weeds on this kid and somebody will get an itchy trigger finger early in the second round for fear that another club will jump up and grab him.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
Similar to Milan Lucic? His draft year he only had like 20 points and really stepped it up the year after and led his team in points.

Im really hoping for something similar..

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
5g, 6a in 14 games so far, anyone one here seen him play? how has he looked so far this season?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Brock, can you give us an update....

From what I've seen of Clifford this year, he's taking great steps forward. Heck he's already matched his goal total from last year an eclipsed his point totals.

He's played a large portion of the year with Luke Pither and Bryan Cameron and has been a big part of their great seasons, creating space and battling for those two. Although lately he's seen a lot of time with Zac Rinaldo. He doesn't play a whole lot on the powerplay, but he sees regular penalty kill time.

The steps offensively have been taken in the right direction. He's using his size more consistently to create offensive opportunities for himself (as opposed to before when he was mostly using his size as a way to play hard/physical). He'll take the puck to the net and when he does, his mobility and size makes him a tough match for any defenseman in this league.

Going forward, which will probably be next year unless he makes the Kings (stranger things have happened), I'd love to see him take on a larger offensive responsibility. Right now he just needs to play hard and follow the play. With all the offensive firepower Barrie has, he's kind of along for the ride. I'd love to see what he could do on a line where he's the driving force. I think there's even more hidden offensive ability there. With added responsibility comes the confidence to make things happen with the puck and take more shots. If he doesn't make the Kings next year, he'll likely be one of the go to offensive players for Barrie next season (along with Darren Archibald and Taylor Carnevale).

I think we'll find out even more about him then.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
From what I've seen of Clifford this year, he's taking great steps forward. Heck he's already matched his goal total from last year an eclipsed his point totals.

He's played a large portion of the year with Luke Pither and Bryan Cameron and has been a big part of their great seasons, creating space and battling for those two. Although lately he's seen a lot of time with Zac Rinaldo. He doesn't play a whole lot on the powerplay, but he sees regular penalty kill time.

The steps offensively have been taken in the right direction. He's using his size more consistently to create offensive opportunities for himself (as opposed to before when he was mostly using his size as a way to play hard/physical). He'll take the puck to the net and when he does, his mobility and size makes him a tough match for any defenseman in this league.

Going forward, which will probably be next year unless he makes the Kings (stranger things have happened), I'd love to see him take on a larger offensive responsibility. Right now he just needs to play hard and follow the play. With all the offensive firepower Barrie has, he's kind of along for the ride. I'd love to see what he could do on a line where he's the driving force. I think there's even more hidden offensive ability there. With added responsibility comes the confidence to make things happen with the puck and take more shots. If he doesn't make the Kings next year, he'll likely be one of the go to offensive players for Barrie next season (along with Darren Archibald and Taylor Carnevale).

I think we'll find out even more about him then.

Thanks for that.

But, at this point, do you think he has a shot as a legit NHLer? And what role would it be? Simply a PIM guy?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Thanks for that.

But, at this point, do you think he has a shot as a legit NHLer? And what role would it be? Simply a PIM guy?

Absolutely. He can definitely develop into a legit NHL player. A top 6 forward? Probably not, but stranger things have happened in the development on power forward type prospects. But could he become a legitimate 15-15 3rd line winger who excels on the PK? 100%

He's definitely not just an enforcer prospect. Obviously that's the fallback since he's quite good with his fists, but he's a very good skater and he's a smart player. He can handle the puck at his top gear too. There's more potential there to grow, especially offensively.

I'm not a huge fan of comparisons, but think of the impact a guy like Randy McKay used to have in New Jersey.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Kyle

Hello,

I get to see Kyle quite a bit, and I think Brock's assessment is a pretty good one. I think the most impressive thing about Kyle is how quickly he has progressed. In the middle of last season he was ranked 177th by central scouting and as most know he moved himself up by the end of the season so that the Kings selected him in the 2nd round. I think he probably projects to a boarder line 2nd line / solid 3rd line player right now, but if he continues to improve at the same rate, he'll end up a 2nd liner.

His point totals are up, it's how he gets them. He goes into the corners and brings the puck out front. He's also come through with some big goals (like the game tying goal against Windsor a couple weeks ago).

Another thing that hasn't really been mentioned is his leadership. He's now an Assistant Captain and he has a legitimate shot at being the Captain next year (assuming he returns, and Della Rovere and Hutchings - who are both NHL drafted 1990 born players - do not).

Best Regards,
Shawn

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He would've made the team along with Schenn this year if the Kings weren't so young as they currently are. I can't imagine him not bouncing between Manchester (if he's available to play in the AHL next year) and L.A.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Kings had Kozun-Schenn-Clifford on a line at camp and they looked very good...Clifford had about 6-7 fights between the rookie camp and the pre-season....he is no stranger to that.

McSorley 33

Feb 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, Ca
Hello,

I get to see Kyle quite a bit, and I think Brock's assessment is a pretty good one. I think the most impressive thing about Kyle is how quickly he has progressed. In the middle of last season he was ranked 177th by central scouting and as most know he moved himself up by the end of the season so that the Kings selected him in the 2nd round. I think he probably projects to a boarder line 2nd line / solid 3rd line player right now, but if he continues to improve at the same rate, he'll end up a 2nd liner.

His point totals are up, it's how he gets them. He goes into the corners and brings the puck out front. He's also come through with some big goals (like the game tying goal against Windsor a couple weeks ago).

Another thing that hasn't really been mentioned is his leadership. He's now an Assistant Captain and he has a legitimate shot at being the Captain next year (assuming he returns, and Della Rovere and Hutchings - who are both NHL drafted 1990 born players - do not).

Best Regards,
Shawn

Thanks for responding Shawn.....

McSorley 33

Feb 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, Ca
I think we would love to see him become a solid third line player who can score 15-20goals a year and become a complete player.

He's certainly an exciting prospect and the fact that he's so tough, has hockey smarts and can play an all around game is insane for a tough guy enforcer type.

I love this pick as much as I love the Schenn pick.

Can't wait to see Tuebert, Simmonds and Clifford all on the team.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
A year in the AHL will do him a lot of good before he gets any time with the Kings.

If he develops into a legit 3rd liner and puts up 15/15 I'm going to have a giant smile on my face.

Almost every player DL drafts ends up with an A or C on his chest. Not just coincidence.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
He would've made the team along with Schenn this year if the Kings weren't so young as they currently are. I can't imagine him not bouncing between Manchester (if he's available to play in the AHL next year) and L.A.

He's not eligible to play in the AHL next year. He could spend his 9 games with the Kings and spend the rest with the Colts., or he would have to spend the entire year with the Kings. I don't think he's quite ready. As I said, a big part of his game is going into the corner against two guys and coming out with the puck. I'm not sure he'll be able to do that yet in the NHL. I think he will be able to at some point, but not as a 19 year old. It's better for him to come back and lead the Colts. Plus, selfishly, I'd like to see him for another year. He's always really nice to the kids - he's my seven year old's favorite because Kyle gave him a puck at practice a couple years back...

Best,
Shawn

ean

Nov 27, 2007
He sounds like he could become a larger version of Simmonds. About right?

I don't think he's got the same offensive touch, but he appears to be a lot more physical, in all aspects of the game. Wayne Simmonds isn't overtly physical, yes, he will drop the gloves, but he is rather average in terms of physicality (though he does go in all the dirty areas).

ean

Nov 27, 2007

I respectfully disagree....strongly. Against his fellow prospects, Clifford didn't show that he could really do anything at an NHL level except for drop gloves. And that's perfectly okay, at the draft, nobody described him as "NHL ready". And Schenn...? How would he have made the team?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I respectfully disagree....strongly. Against his fellow prospects, Clifford didn't show that he could really do anything at an NHL level except for drop gloves. And that's perfectly okay, at the draft, nobody described him as "NHL ready". And Schenn...? How would he have made the team?

Not true - Schenn and Clifford were late cuts because both proved they could play a pro style cycle game. Dot to board is Terry Murray's mantra, and both these guys have it in spades - quick reads and hard on the forecheck, consistently taking good angles.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
Not true - Schenn and Clifford were late cuts because both proved they could play a pro style cycle game. Dot to board is Terry Murray's mantra, and both these guys have it in spades - quick reads and hard on the forecheck, consistently taking good angles.

I know that they were late cuts, but like I said, you look at the their complete games and it was not there. Recall Schenn's 1 game call up to the NHL, yes he played relatively decently given the circumstances, but definitely not, NHL ready. And as far as the cycle...that probably has been the best and worst thing for the Kings offense this season...Can't score a lot of goals from the corner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad