Kuzy expectations next season?

Vladiator16*

20/25... worried about his shoulder, but as long as he's back for playoffs i'll be all right with it...

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Name a gamebreaking winger other than Ovechkin.

Name a gamebreaking forward other than Ovechkin and the ghost of Nicklas Backstrom.

Tritely: our top 6 is weak and the cream will rise to the top.

I'd wager that 90% of NHL teams don't have 3 gamebreaking forwards (our definition of gamebreaking could be different as well). I'd also wager that 90% of the teams don't have the potential offensive output from defense that the Caps have. I'd further wager that 90% of NHL teams don't have the scoring depth that the Caps have on the potential bottom six lines.

I agree with your base premise though that Kuznetsov could shine on that second line.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'd wager that 90% of NHL teams don't have 3 gamebreaking forwards (our definition of gamebreaking could be different as well). I'd also wager that 90% of the teams don't have the potential offensive output from defense that the Caps have. I'd further wager that 90% of NHL teams don't have the scoring depth that the Caps have on the potential bottom six lines.

Chicago, LA, Colorado, SJ, Dallas, and possibly Pittsburgh and St. Louis. That's 16-23% of the league.

And I don't know what offense from defense or bottom six depth has to do with Kuznetzov rising up the lineup. You don't think he'll manage to take a top 6 role?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Chicago, LA, Colorado, SJ, Dallas, and possibly Pittsburgh and St. Louis. That's 16-23% of the league.

And I don't know what offense from defense or bottom six depth has to do with Kuznetzov rising up the lineup. You don't think he'll manage to take a top 6 role?

I was not trying to argue back at your Kuznetsov premise. No, I agree that Kuznetsov could very well shine on the second line, and that may be due to lack of better talent. I was just more pointing out that 3 gamebreaking forwards are rare and not necessarily indicative of depth in general. Furthermore they, in some ways, are unneeded if the other things are true. We have different definitions of gamebreaking anyway, and 90% may have been overstated.

The basis is that it isn't a weak depth chart that makes Kuznetsov rise, the first, third, and fourth lines and all three d parings should be pretty decent and not the lack of a third gamebreaker either. The reason Kuznetsov rises is the lack of three strong second line players.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
a. I thnk kuznetsov is a quality 2 line level player with 1st line up side and that ANY NHL team that had him would be making space for him at that level.

b. I don't agree that Backstrom is a shadow of an elite 1c. I don't agree that the Caps don't have top 6 quality wingers after Ovechkin.

If the question is if the Caps have an all star level winger after Ovechkin I'd answer that Kuznetsov might be that and that most NHL teams don't have two allstar level top 6 forwards. If Kuznetsov proves to be that, with Backstrom the Caps have the legit potential for 3.

I am no going to slam the caps top 9 forward lineup. Sorry. Don't agree at all

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Fun trivia, Marcus Johansson had the same number of ESGs in his first 17 NHL games at age 20 as Kuznetsov did in his first 17 NHL games at age 21.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Fun trivia, Marcus Johansson had the same number of ESGs in his first 17 NHL games at age 20 as Kuznetsov did in his first 17 NHL games at age 21.

Johansson was a great young player at 20. To my eye's worse at every facet of the game at age 23 than he was at age 20.

I thought he was a potential Legwand. Now he looks a lot like a potential Wolski.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I don't recall any of his goals that weren't wraparounds but that's a surprising stat

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Johansson was a great young player at 20. To my eye's worse at every facet of the game at age 23 than he was at age 20.
I don't think it's a fair assessment because he had to play under a joke of a "coach" for 2 years.
Btw, I got jumped in spring after saying that Johansson doesn't seem to progress well.

Hockeystar3712

Oct 13, 2006
I think Mojo has been one of the biggest victims of multiple coach syndrome. Seems like he's getting worse despite being given favorable assignments (top 6 minutes, PP1). He needs to get much stronger on the puck and learn to utilize his speed.

PS. If MOJO gets a spot on PP1 over Kuz, I may become a Blues fan.

HOLDITHERE*

I think Mojo has been one of the biggest victims of multiple coach syndrome. Seems like he's getting worse despite being given favorable assignments (top 6 minutes, PP1). He needs to get much stronger on the puck and learn to utilize his speed.

PS. If MOJO gets a spot on PP1 over Kuz, I may become a Blues fan.

Victim my ass. The guy is a terrible hockey player regardless of who tells him what to do.

Terrible, maybe not, but Jesus Christ, get him off my team.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Victim my ass. The guy is a terrible hockey player regardless of who tells him what to do.

Let me ask you this. Do you think MoJo would play better in a system rooted in dumping the puck in the corners and cycling or a system based on speed in all three zones?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

So you don't think playing for 3 different coaches from ages 20-23 has anything to do with stunting his development? Solid logic right there. I guess it's just a coincidence then that every single one of our other players sans Joel Ward and John Carlson got worse during that period as well.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Athletes play for a lot of different coaches when they're young. It's 100% normal.

I just don't think mj90 has "it"...that fire or competitive edge. He has some talent, but that's not enough.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Athletes play for a lot of different coaches when they're young. It's 100% normal.

I just don't think mj90 has "it"...that fire or competitive edge. He has some talent, but that's not enough.

Right, but do you think it's a coincidence almost every player of ours, including MaJo, has gotten worse during that time frame?

I agree about the "it" factor -- I want to see if he competes this year. But he's not terrible and I think there's hope for his development.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
listening to BMac yesterday, he clearly thinks MJ needs to compete harder. IIRC, he said that he needs to skate more and skate harder. That when he skates he is an impact player and the Caps need more of that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Right, but do you think it's a coincidence almost every player of ours, including MaJo, has gotten worse during that time frame?

I agree about the "it" factor -- I want to see if he competes this year. But he's not terrible and I think there's hope for his development.

No I don't think it's a coincidence but the number of coaches and coaching in general are also not the only explanations. All young players go through many coaches and nearly every hockey team that isn't playing a stone cold trap all game every game is going to have opportunities for top line guys to show their skills. It's not like the Caps have been nothing but dump and chase grind grind grind retreat on defense every single shift for mj90's entire career. There have been plenty of opportunities to shine.

If we accept that it's all due to coaching and number of coaches then we're saying this player can only thrive in a stable environment with a set playing style that caters to his strengths, whatever they are. And what are they in this case? Are we going to build a team around mj90's potential and some ambiguous idea about what he needs to elevate his game above the level of NHL mediocrity? Hire and retain a coach (and build a roster) specifically for that?

I hope not. You can't do that with every prospect in your system.

This guy is getting paid a decent amount of money to produce. This has included time on the top line and top 6. "That's what they get paid for" reasoning is often abused but I really don't see the gross misuse of mj90 that can be used to excuse his generally lackluster performances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad