Kuznetsov on the 4th line?

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
When you have some depth sometimes guys watch the game from the press box.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Settle down, Captain Hyperbole.

I'm sorry if I find it laughable that two players that a lot of teams would love to have are sitting in the press box while two players who could easily pass through waivers are playing.

I don't think being 1-5-1 with Beagle is a coincidence. He effectively neutralizes whatever line he is put on, and isn't even good on the PK outside of the occasional time he gets to drain the clock along the boards.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
By playing Beagle over Kuznetsov?.

yes. think of it more about laich over kuznetsov but sure. beagle's face off chops are important.

the next game is at Chicago. he wants veterans in the lineup. he is going to play a tight game of limited mistakes. tight defense and hope for a pp or two. the more rookies and young players playing the more likely a rookie mistake happens.

don't read too much into the long term. this is about stopping this losing streak before it gets out of control. its about playing on the road and limiting the damage of Chicago getting the last change.

If kuz plays, you have Wilson at 19 on the first line. Bura at 19 on the second line, Kuz at 22 and a rookie on the 3rd line and LOB on the 4th. I would not be shocked to find both Kuz and LOB scratched for Chicago. IF LOB plays, his numbers will be small

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm sorry if I find it laughable that two players that a lot of teams would love to have are sitting in the press box while two players who could easily pass through waivers are playing.

I don't think being 1-5-1 with Beagle is a coincidence. He effectively neutralizes whatever line he is put on, and isn't even good on the PK outside of the occasional time he gets to drain the clock along the boards.

So what's going to happen when we have both Laich (3-0-2) and Beagle (1-5-1) in the line-up simultaneously? ;)

I'm skeptical Beagle would pass through waivers (and O'Brien is waiver exempt), and your previous remark about him not even being useful in the AHL is just plain wrong. The 4th line played well last game, with Beagle on it, no less. Beagle is in the middle of the team when it comes to FF% and CF% despite getting tough assignments. His CorsiRel doesn't look very good, but neither does Kuznetsov's.

Beagle is not a great player, but he's still a useful one who can fill a role. Kuznetsov has a ton of potential, but the results aren't there yet and he still has significant issues in his own zone. This isn't nearly as outlandish of a decision as you're making it out to be. Especially considering how horrid this team is at the faceoff dot.

I'm just curious about who will take Kuzya's spot on PP2. I'm assuming it must be Laich. The other LH options aren't all that palatable (Chimera, O'Brien, or Schmidt).

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
No idea wtf Trotz is thinking.. If you want to win a game you play your best players.. I don't care how old they are! Most every stat shows that we are worse when Beagle is on the ice.. Shots for way down, shots against way up, PK in the tank, goal differential, W/L 1-6!!

He's got 1 neat trick taking faceoffs, then he's practically worthless.. If it's a rookie thing then why isn't Fehr getting his spot? He can forecheck, cycle, play defense, oh and add points to the score sheet!

We all know no coach is perfect and Im afraid this is just a continuance of the 1st big mistake in the Trotz era..

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
in football when its 3 and 12, you send in your passing package. for the caps for a road game in Chicago for the tight, defensive game I think they want to play, these ARE their best players.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
in football when its 3 and 12, you send in your passing package. for the caps for a road game in Chicago for the tight, defensive game I think they want to play, these ARE their best players.

2 Things that just don't fit together.

<insert team> Best possible line-up.

Jay Beagle.

He is downgrade version of David Steckel and there is a reason the latter now plays in the AHL.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fanboy implosion. Beagle to blame for the losing streak? LOLOLOL

Come on. I like Kuz but you guys take it way too far.

Halpysback*

Beagle = key to stanley cup

Trotz's greatest coaching mistake was not reincarnating the transcendental Ovechkin-Beagle-Crabb line. Maybe he will come to his senses and at least do Ovechkin-Beagle-Laich.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
make fun of beagle all you want to. purely on defensive coverage and safe offensive playing of the puck, meaning no risky turnovers, beagle is better than kuznetsov and my read is that is what trotz is going for.

I am pretty sure kuznetsov isn't getting scratched because beagle is more likely to create offense.

this is all pretty obvious.

BCYa

Sep 3, 2013
Alexandria, VA
If he's not playing here, he needs to play in Hershey. I don't know what scratching him is going to do. I feel sorry for Eric Fehr, too. I have no idea what Trotz is doing - I thought we were done with this when Adam Oates left?

Maybe the Caps are just an unsolvable puzzle.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
make fun of beagle all you want to. purely on defensive coverage and safe offensive playing of the puck, meaning no risky turnovers, beagle is better than kuznetsov and my read is that is what trotz is going for.

I am pretty sure kuznetsov isn't getting scratched because beagle is more likely to create offense.

this is all pretty obvious.

Trying to beat the Blackhawks with defense should be fun, and watching Beagle do his stupid little backhand fling on (or usually, way wide of the) net from the left wing should be awesome too.

Can't wait! Wish we just would have gotten Laviolette.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
good...the fire trotz bandwagon is initiated because trotz wants to go more defensive for a game on the road v Chicago. lol.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If he's not playing here, he needs to play in Hershey. I don't know what scratching him is going to do. I feel sorry for Eric Fehr, too. I have no idea what Trotz is doing - I thought we were done with this when Adam Oates left?

Maybe the Caps are just an unsolvable puzzle.

Fehr has been a healthy scratch by every coach he has played for. if kuznetsov is back in the lineup for the next game, would you still have him sent and left in Hershey? you guys are seriously overreacting to this. not that I am surprised.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
good...the fire trotz bandwagon is initiated because trotz wants to go more defensive for a game on the road v Chicago. lol.

Nah, I started losing faith in him when he put Beagle on the 2nd line. Then on the 3rd. Now he's playing instead of Fehr and Kuznetsov.

We've lost games due to the fact that we, for some reason, play prevent D with the lead in the 3rd. That has to come from Trotz. Look at last game -- we get the lead, and then suddenly the 4th line has ridiculous ice time in the 3rd period?

I never wanted him to begin with, but I have more faith in him to fix it than I did with Oates, who was just a moron...but I'm starting to have my doubts.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Also keep in mind that the Caps will be flying back from Chicago to play the second half of a back-to-back here. Trotz is likely playing the defense-oriented veterans in the first half away, and keeping Kuznetsov for his younger legs in a home game where he can control the matchups better. I'd expect to see Fehr back Saturday as well.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
The fourth line had ridiculous ice time because they were playing very well and in the other team's end. In fact, Alex Prewitt has written an article about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...5fdbe0-65fa-11e4-9fdc-d43b053ecb4d_story.html

Playing well, sure. They were... for being a 4th line and all. But you don't win games by just holding your one goal lead. You need to build on the lead. The 4th line isn't going to score.

You're just asking to get beat when you have no intentions of scoring. They score on a fluky goal, and now all of a sudden the good players start playing again? Just stupid.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think its pretty clear that trotz is tired if 4-3, 6-5, 5-4 games that they lose. they beat boston on the road 2-1 and I am sure that is what he has in mind to reset this team.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Is there a website that tracks ice time for players by period? I'd like to see how much time all lines got in the 3rd period last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad