Kuznetsov on the 4th line?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm not overly worried about scratching 92 for a game, but I wouldn't do it myself.

I think we'll miss him a lot on the 2nd PP unit, and that's not insignificant, IMO. Unless we're shooting for a 1-0 win in SO, of course.

Actually 92 is good in SO, too, so that would be another reason to dress him.

I'd scratch Chimera, O'Brien or Brouwer first.

But I agree that it's not worth hyperventilating over. Plus, the kid took it like a champ and said all the right things.

Anyway, Laich'll be hurt again soon enough, so it's likely a temporary problem.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the second pp unit doesn't play. if it gets a little time on a given pp tom Wilson will get those minutes and do just fine
as has been reported, in the last game trotz game O'Brien the 3rd most ES TIO on the team in the 3rd period. I don't Trotz is thinking along those lines with 92

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
the second pp unit doesn't play. if it gets a little time on a given pp tom Wilson will get those minutes and do just fine

I disagree with both statements. Under trotz, the 2nd unit does play. And 92 and 43 do completely different things on a PP. 92 is a set-up man like 19, 90, and 65. That's not who 43 is.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I disagree with both statements. Under trotz, the 2nd unit does play. And 92 and 43 do completely different things on a PP. 92 is a set-up man like 19, 90, and 65. That's not who 43 is.

go look at the minutes. they don't. kuznetsov and burakovsky get average of 1:30 of pp toi per game. brouwer and backstrom get 3:00.

the 2nd unit comes on after a clear with 30 or 40 seconds left in a pp and get one rush. they don't get to play much

edit: right. much of the second unit is skill pass first players. the caps need more net presence which is what Wilson brings

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Ah well, at least from the articles linked we know the method to Trotz madness.. Just not sure how long it's going to go on, especially if Laich stays healthy..

Still just seems a little coo coo.. Could end up being a recipe for player(s) asking to be traded a month into Trotz tenure, all so Jay Beagle can play "keep away" on the 4th line?

But whatever.. I still think Trotz is the guy to figure it out, eventually. But this could get interesting sooner than expected.. :skeptic:

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
go look at the minutes. they don't. kuznetsov and burakovsky get average of 1:30 of pp toi per game. brouwer and backstrom get 3:00.

the 2nd unit comes on after a clear with 30 or 40 seconds left in a pp and get one rush. they don't get to play much

edit: right. much of the second unit is skill pass first players. the caps need more net presence which is what Wilson brings

lol, so now you want to just change the entirety of the PP.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
lol, so now you want to just change the entirety of the PP.

Yeah, i'm confused too.

txpd, you say the 2nd unit is overweighted with non-shooting skill guys. But it's actually same set-up as first unit. Two set-up guys, one on half-wall, one down low, and then a bigger, tougher guy in high slot or in front of net to shoot one-timer.

Sure, if you want to put 43 in the shooter spot instead of Brouwer or Ward, that's fine, but it's weird you keep suggesting Wilson as 92's replacement on 2nd unit. They simply play different roles.

You seem to grasp the concept of differing roles when it comes to Beagle or LOB getting a sweater over 92. They are called upon to do different things. I don't believe 43 will be assigned the 2nd-unit role of soft-hands set-up man down low. But i could be wrong.

Like i said, i don't ultimately care that much about 92 getting scratched. But i don't think it's totally true either to say that the 2nd unit PP doesn't matter because they don't play. I don't think trotz, among others, would agree the 2nd unit doesn't matter.

Anyway, hopefully you are right, and the added defense, hustle, and grit will carry the day tomorrow on the road.

Bigger question is whether our goalies show up.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ah well, at least from the articles linked we know the method to Trotz madness.. Just not sure how long it's going to go on, especially if Laich stays healthy..

Still just seems a little coo coo.. Could end up being a recipe for player(s) asking to be traded a month into Trotz tenure, all so Jay Beagle can play "keep away" on the 4th line?

But whatever.. I still think Trotz is the guy to figure it out, eventually. But this could get interesting sooner than expected.. :skeptic:

Which players are these? Honestly the only player on the roster that I can think of that would look to get out, or has somewhat valid grounds to ask to be moved is Jack Hillen, and really that's only as a courtesy call around the league for a guy who looks closer to hanging them up than surging back into prominence. The rest might not be happy with where they reside, but it's supposedly a merit based decision. Play better than the players in your role, or find a way to evolve your game. If you can't achieve either, then regardless of your pay grade or talent level, there's no longer a fit in the organization.

That sounds a little wordy and aggressive in response to the quote above, but I started freelancing a bit.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Which players are these? Honestly the only player on the roster that I can think of that would look to get out, or has somewhat valid grounds to ask to be moved is Jack Hillen.

I don't think it'll take more than 5-10 games in a row of healthy scratches before Fehr would be ready to go and I know Kuzy said all the right things about getting scratched, but Im not convinced he'd sit in the pressbox, or in Hershey, for any extended length of time before he's ready to head back to Russia.

Thankfully it doesn't look like we'll have to find out anytime soon..

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
As far a kuzy getting scratched, as long as it is just a few games here and there, I'm fine with it. In fact, I think Trotzy would be wise to scratch Kuzy, Bura, Wilson, and O'Brien in roughly equal parts. None of them are used to a full 82 game season (with real minutes), and rotating scratches would keep them fresh for the full season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad