Kuznetsov and Orlov going to Worlds (2017) No Ovechkin (injured)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd prefer the grim and exhausted guy. At least he appeared to care before jet setting off to wash away his professional worries. I get that Euro fans love this thing. I just hope Euro fans can appreciate the idea that this is the NHL loser tournament and how it does/should leave a bad taste in the mouth of a North American fan of an NHL contender sent home too early. In my younger years I liked this thing. 32 years of losing and always participating in this thing has made it not only meaningless, but unpalatable.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't really care but if the World Championships helps some players turn the page then so be it. You can't stay bitter for twelve months and then think you're just going to beat it based off of that feeling and nothing else. Whatever motivates them to get better and maintain their passion for game is fine by me.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't really care but if the World Championships helps some players turn the page then so be it. You can't stay bitter for twelve months and then think you're just going to beat it based off of that feeling and nothing else. Whatever motivates them to get better and maintain their passion for game is fine by me.

Same. It's pretty clear to me that the joy of playing hockey is removed for these guys during the playoffs. If playing in this tournament helps clear their mind and sends them into the offseason with a happier and clearer mental disposition then I'm fine with that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
12 months? Nah, 12 days I'd take. Damn body isn't even cold. But hey, go enjoy your hockey vacation and forget about the failures for the guys who pay for your and your family's quality of life.

If the joy is gone for these guys in the NHL playoffs, then we have the wrong guys.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
We have wrong guys because they can't spell "clutch", not because they don't pull their hair out for a month after a playoff loss.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd take "come to camp in the best shape of your life" just one damn time over hair pulling. Pretty sure we've never seen our core that dedicated. Prior to his debilitating injury, only Brooks Laich, for a fleeting moment showed this franchise that kind of dedication....at least that I can recall.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
12 months? Nah, 12 days I'd take. Damn body isn't even cold. But hey, go enjoy your hockey vacation and forget about the failures for the guys who pay for your and your family's quality of life.

If the joy is gone for these guys in the NHL playoffs, then we have the wrong guys.

That's kinda the point of the discussions we've all been having, right? Do we have the right guys?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Back to trading 74 or 19 then. Ovy is the golden goose I have to assume until I see him beg out of town, or I see a trade completed headline.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
because you said earlier in this thread that you dont give a f about backstrom and worlds.

I never said I didn't care about NB. Not caring about the tournament or Team Sweden is not the same as wanting NB to play poorly or be unhappy.

As you know we have a forum for discussion of this tournament. This Capitals forum is going to be much, much more about the Capitals than the international play.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This thread makes me think of the Joker in TDK. Our playoff theme should have been "Why so serious?"/"Do you want to know how I got these (emotional) scars?"

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Nicky with his usual move. Nylander almost killed Hank on the celebration :laugh:

Russia/CCCP still alone in the first place with 27 championship and Canada 26. Thanks to our number 1 center

Btw, he has 6 points in 5 games. Continued his ppg play

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
DAYiieVXsAEBETY.jpg

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
At least the world cup still has the aura of what hockey was always truly about, winning at a skilled graceful game with your countrymen. NHL playoffs has become an obnoxious dirtfest with all skill removed where the outcome depending is wholly on coinflip refereeing. Presidents Trophy at this point is a better representation of the best team than in the NHL than the cup.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
At least the world cup still has the aura of what hockey was always truly about, winning at a skilled graceful game with your countrymen. NHL playoffs has become an obnoxious dirtfest with all skill removed where the outcome depending is wholly on coinflip refereeing. Presidents Trophy at this point is a better representation of the best team than in the NHL than the cup.

It's less noticeable in international tournaments, but hockey in general has evolved poorly. The "throw pucks on net" principle, in its various forms, has generally beaten creative play. What used to be more about stars is now mostly a competition between details of systems. "Make one less mistake than the other team" is the new motto.

I think to change things they'd have to try something radical like restricting certain areas of the ice (to certain players, at least) -- to reduce "density of bodies", especially in the neutral zone and in front of the net...

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't know, maybe the game will come around. 10 years ago people were saying that soccer was going to die because the game has become too defensive, and now it's aeons better.

I'd take "come to camp in the best shape of your life" just one damn time over hair pulling. Pretty sure we've never seen our core that dedicated.
Never have, but what does it have to do with playing or not playing in the Worlds? Is the NHL season a week away or something? Play the NHL season, then play for your country, then go home, rest and start preparing to enter the season in his best shape possible. Not hard for a professional to do that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Coaching killed hockey creativity. Wayne Gretzky is quick to mention it.

Avoid the big mistake.
Kids no longer just play. They get benched for ignoring the coaches demands to implement the LW lock as the highest priority.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Coaching killed hockey creativity. Wayne Gretzky is quick to mention it.

Avoid the big mistake.
Kids no longer just play. They get benched for ignoring the coaches demands to implement the LW lock as the highest priority.

It's shootouts and loser points. Play to not lose the entire game and take your chances with the shootout for a full point. Make sure you get to OT.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know, maybe the game will come around. 10 years ago people were saying that soccer was going to die because the game has become too defensive, and now it's aeons better.

Never have, but what does it have to do with playing or not playing in the Worlds? Is the NHL season a week away or something? Play the NHL season, then play for your country, then go home, rest and start preparing to enter the season in his best shape possible. Not hard for a professional to do that.

Has nothing to do with it....someone suggested hair pulling, I suggested something different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad