Player Discussion Kurtis Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
i think we've discussed this before but a 3rd rnd pick for this guy was way to high should have been a 6th or 7th. another draft mistake by CF's team.

yes you are right, absolutely right. glad you did foresee this fact before a single pro game.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if memory serves , gabriel went undrafted the prior year to the next draft the wild picking in the 3rd rnd. also no real solid stats. but hey he did hold his own in a fight last night plus i think they said hes had like 12 fights in iowa.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
He did exactly what he was supposed to do. Laid a big hit, got in a fight that sparked the team, and then was "ok" with not getting a ton of time when Yeo switched everything up.

I've got two Gabriel gamers, so it was cool to see a kid who I have an OHL and Iowa sweater of come up and make the big club. Brought them out to the game last night, and my family wearing them got a lot of Gabriel cred from fans which they thought was pretty cool.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He got in a fight that was unnecessary after the Wild won an offensive zone faceoff, negating a scoring chance. After that he was stapled to the bench for pretty much the entire game including garbage time for about 20 minutes. I highly doubt guys were sitting on the bench getting motivated because some kid they don't know who has never played with the team punched another guy who can't play and hadn't done anything to that point.

Haula's breakaway goal was a lot more of a game changer. Refs missed two calls on Zucker then got Brodin on a soft trip. Wild had just scored to go ahead and the crowd was excited, but a PP goal by the Jets could kill the momentum and silence the fans. Instead, Haula gets a shorty, Jets are down by two, and the Wild put their foot on the gas.

That said, I wanted to see Gabriel play after the Wild had a comfortable lead because I thought the Jets would start taking runs at players and he could at least return the kindness. But he was benched the rest of the game. Did Yeo not want him fighting?

Either way, I FF'd the fight just as I did with the last one. Completely over fighting in hockey, has no place in the game.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Russo has written how the organization just loves the kid. They say he is our most improved player since his draft. I missed the game so didn't get to see the kid. Was kind of hoping he could become an Andrew Shaw type. I have to watch him a few times.

My hopes aren't very high. Maybe he can surprise. If he is just a fighter I don't see how he could add any value to the team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm guessing he hurt his hand in the fight. Would've liked to see him play a bit more when they hand the 5-1 lead, just to satisfy my curiousity.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Russo has written how the organization just loves the kid. They say he is our most improved player since his draft.

Fast forward to the Boudreau era.

There still seems to be a lot of organizational love for Gabriel, and he has had a positive effect lately.

Does he have it in him to rise above raw goon level to play in today's NHL on the 4th line?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

There still seems to be a lot of organizational love for Gabriel, and he has had a positive effect lately.

Does he have it in him to rise above raw goon level to play in today's NHL on the 4th line?

Is he more useful than Stoll was last year? Stoll was about the bottom of the barrel for 4th line players.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

I'm all for players playing very define roles and having a place on a team. From scoring top six forwards to 4th line energy checkers. And if they are the best at what they do, go for it.

But I really hope Gabriel can find a way to increase his regular icetime into 10 minutes a game in his role. Otherwise, there HAS to better options.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was good tonight, and that fourth line is developing chemistry. I don't object to having one faster player on speed dial when we have need of that kind of player. Hesitate to say Schroeder...he's doing well in Iowa, but he can't seem to make an impact here. I wonder if he might not be better off with another team, and give it one more go before he goes to Switzerland or someplace nice?

Both Graovac and Stewart had some nice moves tonight.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I actually like what he brings. And I don't mean the goon stuff.

I suppose it's just more 'intangibles' but that's what it is. This kid brings some sort of confidence and excitement to the team. Like some loose screw that inspires the bench.

He can skate fine enough and actually can cycle the puck.

I like him this year.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I actually like what he brings. And I don't mean the goon stuff.

I suppose it's just more 'intangibles' but that's what it is. This kid brings some sort of confidence and excitement to the team. Like some loose screw that inspires the bench.

He can skate fine enough and actually can cycle the puck.

I like him this year.
I still don't think he is worth a third round pick.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I still don't think he is worth a third round pick.

I was thinking about this the other day. As much as I admire the Wild's desire to draft character guys, Gabriel plays a pretty limited game. But he has made the show, and shown some ability to play his role. Whether or not the Wild had guys like Bjorkstrand, Motte, Fasching, Saros, or others on the radar, the choice was made to get Gabriel early. Strange pick but he's not a bust just three years post-draft. At this point, you just have to admire this player's drive to hit his own potential.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I was thinking about this the other day. As much as I admire the Wild's desire to draft character guys, Gabriel plays a pretty limited game. But he has made the show, and shown some ability to play his role. Whether or not the Wild had guys like Bjorkstrand, Motte, Fasching, Saros, or others on the radar, the choice was made to get Gabriel early. Strange pick but he's not a bust just three years post-draft. At this point, you just have to admire this player's drive to hit his own potential.

I went back and read his draft thread. I forgot how completely off the board the pick was: overager without even a predraft workup on most sites.

4th line looks like his ceiling, skill wise. To have a NHL career he's going to have be an intangibles guy: hardwork, team first, face punching, good locker room presence, ect.

He must have decent hockey IQ, right? Hard for a limited skill guy to make it without at least the IQ.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I went back and read his draft thread. I forgot how completely off the board the pick was: overager without even a predraft workup on most sites.

4th line looks like his ceiling, skill wise. To have a NHL career he's going to have be an intangibles guy: hardwork, team first, face punching, good locker room presence, ect.

He must have decent hockey IQ, right? Hard for a limited skill guy to make it without at least the IQ.

Looks like it to me. Knows his role, takes good lines to the play. It honestly worries a bit nowadays to see players fighting as often as he has done, but he's handled himself.

Not sure I posted this before but this Gare Joyce piece sheds light on why he's a player to cheer for: http://attackhockey.com/the-walk-on-kurtis-gabriel-story

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Looks like it to me. Knows his role, takes good lines to the play. It honestly worries a bit nowadays to see players fighting as often as he has done, but he's handled himself.

Not sure I posted this before but this Gare Joyce piece sheds light on why he's a player to cheer for: http://attackhockey.com/the-walk-on-kurtis-gabriel-story

Good read - thanks for posting.

Don't think he'll ever attain Shaw's level, but Colton Gillies is certainly possible, with more of an impact.

Cody McLeod has made a good career out of similar stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad