Kurri about NHL and KHL

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I understand your point, but I think what you suggest to fix it isn't feasible. The trap is a feature of the offside rule and in the current hockey culture is the main way to even the playing ground between two unevenly skilled teams. If we go down the road of making certain defensive ideas illegal, at the very end it becomes a shootout competition. Isn't that the ultimate culmination of a hockey skill contest? Only problem is, it's not that interesting to watch compared to normal hockey.

Another way would be to change the offside rule somehow to allow more room for the attacking players. Just removing offsides altogether, or switching it to the 2-line pass rule are some options. The thing is, making defending more difficult just makes the team with the best defensive systems win more, which is sort of the opposite of what you wanted. Without any offside rule the wingers would speed up through the sides while the center or one of the defenders brings the puck up. It's likely there will only be very light forechecking sniffing around for big mistakes or odd bounces since the defending front line can't afford to open the passing lanes. If the middle trap is sound and a good lane can't be found, they'll zip the puck deep into the offensive zone and try to gain control like you can see in normal hockey. The game will really start to look like miniature soccer. Having the offside rule in place allows the puckless forwards to stay higher than they would otherwise, which enables more dangerous counterattacks than it would if everyone was keeping a tight guard around their own zone. Without offsides at the blue line the game would become a possession battle and have chess-like elements, which can be observed in soccer. I guess the offside rule wouldn't be completely removed but changed to be like it's in soccer just to keep the game from becoming a crapshoot of long, lobbed passes.

Compared to these types of drastic game-changers, increasing the rink size is a more delicate shift in the game flow. As to how make some defensive formations illegal, I have no idea where to even begin something like that. Actively forbidding players from occupying some empty space on the ice sounds like a really complicated rule.

Edit: Okay, so the attacking players are forbidden from staying in the area marked with blue paint. :) It'll be more difficult to have such areas in the middle of the ice where it'll either be illegal or not illegal to stay in that area depending on which side holds the puck.

Yes an illegal defense would just make it that much more of a subjective referee decision festival.

Just a few ideas.

I'm not a huge proponent of Olympic rinks but it would be cool to allow teams building a new arena the option of increasing the dimensions anywhere between 85-100 ft wide.

Or a possible better proposal is to go to a floating blue line rule which would increase the offensive zone size, allow for better puck possession and spread out the players which would help wingers go forward without such a tremendous amount of back pressure. Less regrouping and dumping as well.

Goalie equipment needs to be tightened up. I'm talking mostly about pants and shoulder/chest protectors. Jeesh we can stop bullets with barely distinguishable Kevlar vests. Let's put the athleticism back into the position.

The loser point system needs to be abolished. Way too many teams content with playing safe in a tie game in the 3rd to get a point.

I hope this doesn't come off as someone who doesn't appreciate the game. I'm probably as hard core as it gets and have played, coached and watched religiously for close to 40 years. I've played both 3 on 3 and ball hockey with the floating blue line and it's a genius way to create room and spread out players. If nothing changes i will still watch and follow religiously, But (like Kurri ) get the sense that we need some impactful changes to the game to the get to the next level of entertainment.

Last edited:

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
As much as we like goals, a LOT of the goals he scored in the edmonton heyday would be considered a joke to score today.

I don't think the NHL will or should increase rink size. The assumed benefit is a pure myth, and there's more to entertainment in NHL games than goals anyway.

Like hits. How about we go back to a league when a player sustains a big hit without feeling the need to drop 'em?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't think reconfiguring rink sizes is realistic. They should however make the goalie pads more realistic. I think goal tending has improved leaps over the years but the size of the pads are the number 1 reason scoring is down.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
On the one hand, I think he's right about NHL rinks choking the game at present.

On the other, I do think he's trying to sell a league performing questionably with the resources it may or may not have.

I think he's certainly doing both, but I concede he has a point about finding a middle ground between KHL and NHL rink size.

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
hes right when he says the game as lowered his spectacular appeal over the last 2 decades, i do miss the style of the pronger/forsberg era, big guys throwing big hits at incredible speeds, sometimes on a blind splot, the crowd was left up their seat and could keep cheering and following the magic of the game because the play kept going, nowdays game kill the magic as, as soon as something big happens the plays are shut and people sit down and wait for the game to restart..

as he says, it is because of the players being faster, stronger and the goalies better indirectly tho, because it is not those factors that made the game less appealing over the years, but rather what it engaged the league to do, because the game was becoming simply deadly for players.

the league had no choice to implement new rulings to protect the players, and you see where this is going..

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Disagree 100% with everything Kurri had to say, but especially the part about KHL teams beating NHL teams.

I would wager money that the Buffalo Sabres current roster would beat the KHL's best team in a 7 game series.

'

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
Obviously has a vested interest in propping up the KHL, but regardless he is right, the quality of the game right now in the NHL is not impressive

Not saying that increasing the ice size wouldn't increase scoring but what is hte reasoning for the KHL only having about 10 PPG scorers?

That's 10 more than the NHL

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
I don't think reconfiguring rink sizes is realistic. They should however make the goalie pads more realistic. I think goal tending has improved leaps over the years but the size of the pads are the number 1 reason scoring is down.

That and the style of play where everyone blocks shots while clutching and grabbing

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
I would wager money that SKA St.Petersburg would sweep Buffalo on european sized rinks.

On any sized rink. It's ridiculous how arrogant some people seem to be about this. SKA, CSKA, and maybe MMg and Avangard could play against NHL teams just fine.

Has everyone forgotten how Soviet teams would REGULARLY beat the best NHL teams? The talent pool in the KHL is certainly diluted compared to Soviet days, but there are still good teams, and unlike the Soviet league, the KHL can poach players from Czech or Finnish or Swedish leagues.

Levels of hockey are much closer than people seem to think. Canada just barely beat France 4-3. Last year when there was no Crosby or Giroux on the team, Canada lost to France. KHL-roster Belarus beat team USA 5-2 yesterday. Swiss EV Zug beat the Rangers 8-4 a couple of years back, and ZSC Lions beat the Chicago team that won the cup eight months later.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Just Kurri playing along with the Putin propaganda. What else can he do.

Yeah sure. Also I heard that Kurri personally in the cover of the night adds an extra inch to the rink size at every NHL arena on Putins orders.
Hundred years from now the rinks will be the same size in NA and EU and the NA is being ruled by the power clique Putin, Kurri and the reanimated Lenin.

BackhandToeyJoey

Jan 16, 2013
On any sized rink. It's ridiculous how arrogant some people seem to be about this. SKA, CSKA, and maybe MMg and Avangard could play against NHL teams just fine.

Has everyone forgotten how Soviet teams would REGULARLY beat the best NHL teams? The talent pool in the KHL is certainly diluted compared to Soviet days, but there are still good teams, and unlike the Soviet league, the KHL can poach players from Czech or Finnish or Swedish leagues.

Levels of hockey are much closer than people seem to think. Canada just barely beat France 4-3. Last year when there was no Crosby or Giroux on the team, Canada lost to France. KHL-roster Belarus beat team USA 5-2 yesterday. Swiss EV Zug beat the Rangers 8-4 a couple of years back, and ZSC Lions beat the Chicago team that won the cup eight months later.

kuzya is struggling to look like the "best player outside the nhl". a title he rightfully deserved. russians arent looking too hot at these WC's and Sweden is being majorly led by nhl players. the only team sort of benifiting from the khl is Czech Republic, though they are being led by jagr.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Disagree 100% with everything Kurri had to say, but especially the part about KHL teams beating NHL teams.

I would wager money that the Buffalo Sabres current roster would beat the KHL's best team in a 7 game series.

'

I'd take that bet and give you good odds. Sabres might not get swept in that situation, but only if the games are played in NHL rinks with NHL refs and the KHLers need a game to adjust.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Yeah sure. Also I heard that Kurri personally in the cover of the night adds an extra inch to the rink size at every NHL arena on Putins orders.
Hundred years from now the rinks will be the same size in NA and EU and the NA is being ruled by the power clique Putin, Kurri and the reanimated Lenin.

The Anti west propaganda from there has no limits for sure.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Lol KHL is better?

Don't they lose teams out of the blue because they can't make money? And didn't a few of their teams declare bankruptcy a few years back?

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
kuzya is struggling to look like the "best player outside the nhl". a title he rightfully deserved. russians arent looking too hot at these WC's and Sweden is being majorly led by nhl players. the only team sort of benifiting from the khl is Czech Republic, though they are being led by jagr.

Kuznetsov has never been the best player in that league. He had one top-10 (coming in at 6) finish, in a season when his team was one of the best in the league.

I don't think anyone is claiming that KHL is better than NHL, but it seems that there's a North American arrogance about just how good the NHL is and the supposedly massive gap between it and any other league. The fact that good hockey can be played in a number of leagues around the world has been shown on numerous occasions where NHL teams were closely matched or beaten by foreign clubs.

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
-Ball hockey floating blue line
-Call all infractions
-Somehow stop the "off the boards and out" defensive strategy. Tires the attackers and rewards the defending team.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I've always wondered when widening the rinks is brought up. In current NHL arenas, how do you remove seats along the sides and not behind the nets without creating a ledge along the sides and obstructed views along the boards if you aren't sitting on the first row?

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
I agree the product of the NHL absolutely is starting to degrade. Only the biggest hipsters/purists would pretend choppy, consistent dump N' chase is as entertaining as passing plays and skating.

Starting to degrade?

It's been atrocious stuff the past 20 years, just like Kurri said. And he would know. He was part of the most action-packed era the sport has ever seen.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
I've always wondered when widening the rinks is brought up. In current NHL arenas, how do you remove seats along the sides and not behind the nets without creating a ledge along the sides and obstructed views along the boards if you aren't sitting on the first row?

You don't. You build new arenas with the new specification. Simple as that.

People have been saying "Oh, that will take too long" for 20 years. If they had of started 20 years ago, almost all of the NHL would have bigger rinks by now.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
The problem with NHL hockey is that the 'scoring area' is now about 4 ft from the net and that's it because the goalies are so gigantic. In Kurri's era, a great shot from the blueline could beat any goalie.

Picture the NBA with no three point line, a hoop 30% smaller and 5 defenders standing in the key. That's what the NHL is today.

In Kurri's era the goaltenders played stand-up, and didn't take away the entire bottom of the net. Many more shots were actual scoring chances. The NHL needs to released curve sizes, and figure a way to open up the top shelf more. That will keep goalies on their feet more, and increase scoring. Pad sizing started increasing as soon as goalies started playing on their knees. Early on it was disadvantageous to wear huge pads, as they were too heavy. Now that isn't a problem, and for whatever problem it was, the goalie's own conditioning and styles have adapted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad