Kurri about NHL and KHL

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Jarri Kurri was interviewed by finnish journalist.

@jhiitela · 25m 25 minutes ago

Jari Kurri, currently GM of KHL team Jokerit and board member of KHL had some interesting comments in our interview today….
@jhiitela · 25m 25 minutes ago

Kurri: "There’s been a lot of negative publicity surrounding KHL in last few years, but I’d be more worried about what’s happening in NHL."
@jhiitela · 24m 24 minutes ago

"Quality of game in NHL has decreased dramatically in last two decades. Lack of skill has meant that game’s entertainment value has…†(1/2)

â€â€¦flattened.†(2/2)
Kurri: "Game has changed a lot in last two decades."

Kurri: "In NHL size rink there isn’t just enough time and space anymore, players’ speed and physicality has improved so much."

â€Kurri: "When there’s no space, you can’t create game. And I mean GAME. "

Kurri: "I’ve heard for NHL inner circles that they consider increasing the size of rink. That’s true story."

Kurri: "It’s not that hockey should be played in rinks size of an airfield…†(1/2)

Kurri: â€â€¦ but some kind of consensus should be reach between NHL rinks and traditional European rinks.†(2/2)
@jhiitela · 23m 23 minutes ago

Kurri: "KHL has it’s own problems, but game is in good shape. That helps a lot. With that, league can fix it’s other problems."

Kurri: "And what is top level in NHL anymore? Whatever it is, of course SKA St. Petersburg and CSKA Moscow could win best NHL teams."

Kurri: "There’s no doubt about that."
@jhiitela · 22m 22 minutes ago

"Of course NHL has most of the best players in the world, but in team level I don’t see much difference between top teams in NHL and KHL."

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
In another thread a few months ago I opined the same thing Kurri did about the rink size throttling the speed and pace of today's NHL game; but the point was raised (and a good one, I might add) that reconfiguring current NHL rinks - especially in smaller venues like, say, MTS Centre - would be a costly proposition.

As to whether KHL teams could beat NHL teams, I guess it all depends on which teams you're talking about... :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well this subject been talked to death in several thread before but I'm guessing the NHL might be trying find out how much the rink width could be increased without the cost getting too much in the way. As I've said in those previous threads, they wouldn't have to increase it that much, a meter or two would be enough.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
On the one hand, I think he's right about NHL rinks choking the game at present.

On the other, I do think he's trying to sell a league performing questionably with the resources it may or may not have.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
I've always gotten the impression that big rinks lower offense, seems like you just end up with more perimeter play and the euro leagues have always been lower scoring.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Making the rinks bigger is a good idea but it will be expensive and time consuming reconfiguring some rinks.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If you consider all the ideas and changes the NHL tosses around, it would be surprising of using a larger rink didn't come up. Kurri makes it a bit of a loaded statement here though calling it "traditional European rinks" on one side and "NHL rinks" on the other. The NHL rinks also happen to be the traditional North American rinks.

Altogether if you consider local rinks on a global scale I'd bet there's a good number more 'NHL' rinks than there are 'traditional European' rinks.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm shocked that the GM of a KHL team is endorsing the KHL brand while trying to bring down the NHL game.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
An ex NHL player and current KHL manager said that the NHL used to be better but now the KHL is where it's at?

Controversy brews

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've always gotten the impression that big rinks lower offense, seems like you just end up with more perimeter play and the euro leagues have always been lower scoring.

Was Kurri or any one suggesting the NHL should go to international size rinks or just making the NA rinks bigger? Because they are not the same thing.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I agree the product of the NHL absolutely is starting to degrade. Only the biggest hipsters/purists would pretend choppy, consistent dump N' chase is as entertaining as passing plays and skating.

That being said, I'd very much like to see the Blackhawks in a best of 7 against whichever top team in the KHL. If I had to guess, it wouldn't be much of a contest.

Oakstream

Let's go Buffalo!
Aug 10, 2010
Sweden
Smaller rinks: one goal more per game. At least when you compare the last two olympic games. Bigger rinks seems pysical and less goals. Why would anyone want that?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The problem with NHL hockey is that the 'scoring area' is now about 4 ft from the net and that's it because the goalies are so gigantic. In Kurri's era, a great shot from the blueline could beat any goalie.

Picture the NBA with no three point line, a hoop 30% smaller and 5 defenders standing in the key. That's what the NHL is today.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Would it really cost that much to increase rink size by a meter or so?

While I don't know if that is the best way to do things, I think Kurri does have a point.

I also think in general the NHL is going to start to institute changes in rules and reffing to increase offence. They did in 05-06 and I think it's coming back. The NBA has done something similar too.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
In another thread a few months ago I opined the same thing Kurri did about the rink size throttling the speed and pace of today's NHL game; but the point was raised (and a good one, I might add) that reconfiguring current NHL rinks - especially in smaller venues like, say, MTS Centre - would be a costly proposition.

As to whether KHL teams could beat NHL teams, I guess it all depends on which teams you're talking about... :laugh:

I think last year's Sabres could lose to a good Triple-A team.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
... I disagree.

I don't even agree with people who say it's become more about dump and chase - it's less about that these days.

But I will agree that offensive zone play is often boring and consists mostly of cycling the puck along the perimeter of a team's defensive zone box.

Teams and coaches have gotten better about playing in their end and as a result - lots of boring cycle games as teams maintain their composure defensively.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
I think he may be a bit out to lunch on those top KHL teams being able to beat any NHL teams, but I think he is right on the money in terms of the degradation of the game in NHL, specifically in regards to the speed and physicality. Awful reffing doesn't help either.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Would it really cost that much to increase rink size by a meter or so?

While I don't know if that is the best way to do things, I think Kurri does have a point.

I also think in general the NHL is going to start to institute changes in rules and reffing to increase offence. They did in 05-06 and I think it's coming back. The NBA has done something similar too.

Beyond the actual construction cost, arenas would lose in sitting capicity.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Not saying that increasing the ice size wouldn't increase scoring but what is hte reasoning for the KHL only having about 10 PPG scorers?

I think increasing the net size by maybe 1-2" all around is a better solution to test, or bring in more powerplays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad