Kurri about NHL and KHL

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
In Kurri's era the goaltenders played stand-up, and didn't take away the entire bottom of the net. Many more shots were actual scoring chances. The NHL needs to released curve sizes, and figure a way to open up the top shelf more. That will keep goalies on their feet more, and increase scoring.

I play goalie in all kinds of sports and I think the difference between floorball and hockey highlights this point. Since floorball goalies have only minimal padding, all kinds of shots become real threats. The ball is light and easy to control, so the best players will actively aim for shots that curve midair and go in just inside the post. The priorities of the goalkeeper are altered so that lateral movement and the athleticity required for that become bread and butter, not just skills that separate regular goalies from elites. Since the equipment is lighter it's easier to move around in, but there's also much more moving around involved in making the saves. A big goalie will find it very difficult to handle the fast lateral passes that take place pretty much all the time. Have to be less like a tank, more like a swallow.

Pad sizing started increasing as soon as goalies started playing on their knees. Early on it was disadvantageous to wear huge pads, as they were too heavy. Now that isn't a problem, and for whatever problem it was, the goalie's own conditioning and styles have adapted.

Yep, blocking has become king. If you can do nothing else but block effectively, that means you're a good goalie. If you're also fast on skates and have good positioning, that means you're a great goalie -- But without good blocking ability it's just not going to work. The best way to block is to be 6'6 or more. If you're 5'9 it's like NHL-sized goalkeeper playing on a net 6-8 inches higher, which makes blocking shots into a completely different beast. Moving around in all that gear is tedious at best, so the added reach is so good it's like cheating.

The problem with increasing net size is that even with the current sized goals the general mood seems like having a 6'0 goalkeeper is a bit perverted. Abnormal at best. Do we want to change the game so that only 6'6+ goalies can block effectively?

To tie this up with the floorball thing, the characteristics of each game make different goaltending skills the most important. Blocking isn't as important in floorball since the goalie doesn't have the time to get into a blocking position, and even then the gear isn't wide enough to cover large parts of the net. There's no time because a 100 mph+ wrister with a release speed that hockey players spend their lives dreaming of can be shot anytime. If changing the gear is impossible due to PA concerns over safety, and increasing the net size doesn't feel like a good option anymore, how about changing the puck?

If the puck is made lighter it will be just a nightmare to handle, so the shape would have to adjusted as well. When a balance to that is found the shots start to curve more and the best players will quickly learn to use this. The lighter puck will inflict less injuries, which should appease both the goalie and player sections of the PA, and will also give the opportunity to make the goalie equipment lighter without danger. The shortened release would have a large impact in a sport like hockey where the players move at fast speeds, so the current defensive systems would probably be deemed inefficient.

That's one suggestion on how to change hockey, but to speak the truth I'm pretty happy with how the game is now. I have no problems with the goalie stuff, the only beef I have is with the dump'n'chase hockey when it becomes the only thing on ice and the constant headbutting along the boards. I suggest finding olympic sized rinks in NA and having NHL and AHL teams play there some games as part of their regular seasons, and then see how everyone adjusts.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I think it's a good idea. Passing and skating needs to be rewarded instead of the dump n chase that is the NHL today. When you are watching an NHL game it's more like jack-straws than any constructive play.

IF, the NHL wants more scoring and more skillful players to play they should change.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
On the subject of goalie, net, and equipment sizes. Perhaps the NHL and equipment manufacturers need to dedicate R&D funds over a sustained period of time with the aim of decreasing the size of goalie equipment without sacrificing safety. The situation now is better materials and more padding, but could they use less padding? there must be a way. If there is way... study how that change impacts the game before adopting more drastic measures like increasing the size of the net.

Yep, blocking has become king. If you can do nothing else but block effectively, that means you're a good goalie. If you're also fast on skates and have good positioning, that means you're a great goalie -- But without good blocking ability it's just not going to work. The best way to block is to be 6'6 or more. If you're 5'9 it's like NHL-sized goalkeeper playing on a net 6-8 inches higher, which makes blocking shots into a completely different beast. Moving around in all that gear is tedious at best, so the added reach is so good it's like cheating.

That's a hard call. If the size of the nets increased to the point that larger goalies struggled with the physical demands of movement I could see it smaller goalies regaining an advantage of sorts. At the very least, teams, lines and players would be rewarded with using their skills to get goalies moving.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I was just going to post this after watching a replay of game 7 between the Oilers and Flames. Man I miss "Hockey"!! And so glad I was able to see this version of what they call hockey today.

All those against the bigger rink idea are either Owners children whom are protecting against an inheritance hit or taxpayers not wanting the extra burden. Otherwise their opinion versus's one of the greatest players of all time? Sorry, i'll take Kurri's opionion over yours everytime.

Kurri: "In NHL size rink there isn’t just enough time and space anymore, players’ speed and physicality has improved so much."

To survive in todays NHL, skill had been sacrificed for grit. Those with true hockey skill, usually the 5'9" guys, cannot win fights for inches. As their games were built for feet. So to win the inch fight, Teams have had to sacrifice skill for grit to win this battle.

Think of all the 6'4" players on your teams with absolute stone hands. Ask yourselves why they are on the team? Ask yourselves why a players height not skill is the "going concern" with prospects\players?

The product is broken unless they open up the rinks. And when its 4x4 or 3x3 (which are all about opening up space for play) it will no longer be Hockey. Its barely hockey now :help:
This post hits the nail on the head. Those who think the game is more skilled today don't have a clue. The sport is played with bigger, stronger and faster players. But athletism does not mean skilled.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
While not perfect, that's actually a great analogy to illustrate just how clogged up the NHL game has become, in terms of stifling any sort of offensive game.

The league has allowed goalie equipment to become ridiculously huge, has allowed clutching and grabbing and interference to become rampant in the game, all the while keeping the same size goal net. And people lament about lower scoring?

What always puzzles me is how the league tries to come up with all these bizarre fixes for how to increase offense, but refuses to do the most obvious -- increase the size of the nets. The goalies are much bigger than they were two decades ago, the equipment is much bigger than it was two decades ago, yet the nets are the same size as it was two decades ago. Does it really take a genius to see the issue, here?

Net size in proportion to goalie/equipment size is the biggest problem. Well done sir

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Outside of the USA-Canada game at the last Olympics, I found the game to be slow and uneventful as teams were playing the trap and trying not to lose.

I think some modifications of the net size and enforcing strict goalie equipment sizes should do the trick but that is just my opinion.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
If the size of the nets increased to the point that larger goalies struggled with the physical demands of movement I could see it smaller goalies regaining an advantage of sorts.

Perhaps you mean a 'relative advantage' where the playing field is evened out for all types of goalies. Depending on how much the net size is increased, it might be anything between a small adjustment and a whole revolution to the sport. I'm more inclined to believe that any net size manipulation would be as minor as possible, which would also minimize any perceived advantages for smaller goalies. The goalie needs to be tall enough that they can use their shoulder pads to cover for the space just next to the helmet when a shot comes - while in butterfly - which is a function of the shot angle, goalie coming out, and how tall they are. Having a larger goal means that the goalies need to come out further (or be taller) to achieve a reasonable position. Coming far out of the goal is an easy recipe for playing yourself out of a situation, but being taller has only miniscule disadvantages in comparison. That said, larger goals will result in continuing evolution of goalies and at the highest levels of hockey the trend will continue to stack further in favor of the tallest goalies. They have the largest cover, the best reach, and training them is more likely to produce a player that can start 200 NHL games. A couple smaller sized outliers doesn't change this.

Another thing is that I can think of several ways to make scoring easier, which have also been posted on these boards over and over again, but I'm not sure if people will really be happy with the product once something along those lines has been installed. Is it ok that the season consists mostly of scores like 11-3, 12-9, 14-2, 7-7, etc. ?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Not so sure widening the rink would help. I think it would have the opposite affect. One thing I have noticed in International hockey is it seems MUCH easier for teams to chip the puck out of their own zone. ESPECIALLY when killing penalties. Obviously, it would be a big help to the transition game, but if teams do not score on the rush, I think it will be much harder when set up in the zone.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Not so sure widening the rink would help. I think it would have the opposite affect. One thing I have noticed in International hockey is it seems MUCH easier for teams to chip the puck out of their own zone. ESPECIALLY when killing penalties. Obviously, it would be a big help to the transition game, but if teams do not score on the rush, I think it will be much harder when set up in the zone.

Well to be honest shots are alot harder these days. If guys are bigger abd stronger, it follows the game becomes kore dangerous for goalies, and their padding needs more protection.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Well this subject been talked to death in several thread before but I'm guessing the NHL might be trying find out how much the rink width could be increased without the cost getting too much in the way. As I've said in those previous threads, they wouldn't have to increase it that much, a meter or two would be enough.

Wow Jussi, I think this is one of the only times I agree with you. NHL already said they wont due for financial reasons (from CBC insiders, if you want to call them that) which is sad. Give the guys another 2 feet of width even would make a world of difference.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
In a perfect world they find a good middle ground between the NA and Euro rinks, and make it a standard rink size everywhere around the globe.

That way we improve the NHL game, and get rid of different size rinks so evaluating players playing in Europe become easier.

I agree Euro rinks are too big. Too much room has it's own down sides.

But on the other hand i do think the NA rink is a tad too small for players nowdays.

Somewhere in between would be perfect.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If you consider all the ideas and changes the NHL tosses around, it would be surprising of using a larger rink didn't come up.

It costs attendance so it will be the last thing they attempt.

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I've always gotten the impression that big rinks lower offense, seems like you just end up with more perimeter play and the euro leagues have always been lower scoring.

This is very true.

I am not advocating this... but if the NHL really wants a different, more exciting end to end game the size of the rink or even increasing the size of the nets will not work. They would need to go to 4-4 for 60 minutes.

I like the NHL fine as it is. But that is the "answer" to what many people think the "problem" and is. Nothing else will really resolve what these people don't like about the current state of the NHL but less skaters.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I think that if the refs called the rules according to the rule book, the game would reward skill and the product would be far more exciting.
Kurri is right, the NHL product, although entertaining at times, isn't that exciting.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I have watched alot of hockey for a long time now both in different leagues in Europe and the NHL. One thing that really stands out to me is that every year that goes by the players seems to have less time and space in the offensive zone.
I have said for a good amount of years now that i think the NHL should make the rinks a little bit bigger. Tavares said it a few years ago, it doesnt have to be european size, just make it a little bigger to give the players a little more space.
It would be easier to follow the game as a fan, easier for the officials to make the right calls, easier for the players to create offense, easier to go past defensemen, easier to enter the offensive zone etc. NHL today feels extremely "tight" when you watch it. So hard to enter the neutral zone, no space on the boards or down low and extremely hard to follow for new fans. The game has evolved and i think it would be in everyones best interest to make the rink a little bigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad