Confirmed with Link: Kurashev arbitration comes in (2 x $2.25M)

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Guys gotta remember he was a 4th rounder(120th) in the 2018 draft…bonus pick people! Part of the Ryan Hartman trade
He’s played the 12th most NHL games out of any player from his draft year
That doesn't mean so much on a team looking desperately for a semblance of offensive prowess. Kurashev has moments that are few and far between who would likely be in the AHL for most NHL teams.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Yeah Kurashev is not worth what the arbitrator said he was but it's not my money and it does not prevent the Hawks from doing anything. So it's fine.
Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell. If they're gonna over-pay for an over-the-hill type player like Perry...might as well over-pay for a younger player as well.

Still, I'm confused as to why a lot of the media and fans were acting like re-signing Kurashev was crucial. If he would have walked for nothing I wouldn't have batted an eye.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Many would argue that that ship has already sailed.

Hopefully, that's wrong and Kurashev will become more than just a guy but I have my doubts.
Is Kurashev all that different at age 23 from the players that made up the original Golden Knights? Yeah it’s highly probable he is nothing but it wouldn’t be the most shocking thing in the world if an age 29 or so Kurashev is a solid middle six player on a good team somewhere.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Is Kurashev all that different at age 23 from the players that made up the original Golden Knights? Yeah it’s highly probable he is nothing but it wouldn’t be the most shocking thing in the world if an age 29 or so Kurashev is a solid middle six player on a good team somewhere.
That team thrived because guys got chances they didn't get before. Kurashev has gotten plenty of looks here.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
This is weird because this is pretty objectively a bad outcome for the organization but it also does not matter at all?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This is weird because this is pretty objectively a bad outcome for the organization but it also does not matter at all?
To me, the outcome is irrelevant. It's only 2 years and a couple million. The deal is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, especially when you consider the amount of cap space the Hawks have.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
this is why teams rarely trade for players with Arb rights. the #'s just dont seem to make sense and most teams end up closer to the player and the team. there is not 1 team in the league would have paid him that as a UFA. he has super modest production and modest upside at best.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Now I know where Stunley Blowman landed after the Hawks fired him. He was so good at giving away 500k here, a million there with contract negotiations that the Players Union insisted he become an arbitrator.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Well, he is going to have to perform or this will be his last pay day. Plenty of players on ELCs that could do what he did. Not sure how they come up with that number but he is overpaid for sure. Just for a couple years though.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Doesnt really matter for the next two years, but thats more money than I would give a warm body.

He has some decent underlying defensive metrics, so maybe he grows into that role in the bottom 6 and gives you real value for the money.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
As a fan base given the situation I think it best that we hold a positive outlook on Kurashev in that he can and will blossom into a solid contributor say in the 50 point range.
I mean why not? It feels better.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The two years of 10-20% overpayment doesn’t matter one iota for the Hawks right now. Not going to impact anything else at all. Good for him that he’s making the $. Careers for athletes usually are brief.

Next contract is a different story though. Either he proves his worth, or he’s gone. Up to now, I’m mildly to moderately underwhelmed, and a bit disappointed. He needs to step it up this year.

Reactions: hawksrule

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

This shows just how awful the Kurashev award was

Huh? So he is paid a little bit more (150k) for slightly more production/time over his NHL years.
Kurashev has more experience (3 NHL years vs 2)
Kurashev has more points in his career (62 vs 45)

If anything it shows thats roughly his value, with a slight overpay.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I'm here for the Kurashev breakout. I've been a Kurashev fan since we drafted him. Nice to see him putting a good stretch together. If he can be a consistent 15G, 40Pt guy when this thing turns around, that's a win.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
The knock against him coming out of the draft was that he was lazy (and the Q bias)

The talent was never in question, he had two really good WJC for Switzerland. But now he’s putting in the effort night in and out and it seems like his body can handle it.

So good for him, it seems like he’ll be sticking with Bedard since it doesn’t seem like anyone else is able to play with him on the team.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
WJC darlings never bust. Kane. Toews. Terevainen. Bedard. Viktor Tikhonov. Kurashev. Mrazek.

But seriously. I continue to put gigantic weight in that tournament. It’s the easiest way to make sweeping generalizations about kids that I don’t want to watch play on a Tuesday in Swift Current and is generally not wrong often.

Kurashev always had really obvious talent. Hit the magic 200 game mark now and look what happens.

• Haha
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad