kulikov

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Well, we could risk trading him and not getting back any value which is most likely to happen or we can keep him and continue banking on his potential. He'll be 23 on the 29th; that's pretty young. Kulikov was rushed in by the Sexton camp, imo. Kinda set him back.

fwiw and its not much hf overvalues kulikov more than any of our players imo.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Honest question, but how hard is it to improve the accuracy of a slap shot? That to me seems to be Kulikov's biggest problem, dude just can't hit the net! Would be a beast if he had some accuracy.

He should just take some heat off his clappers and take a second to aim a little. I don't mind if they don't go in; I just mind when they're wide (and not intentionally wide for a fluky bounce off the end boards). Also, if anyone has learned anything from Denis Potvin, it's quick wristers/snappers from the point can sometimes be a much more effective option than a slap-shot from the point.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
kulikov was paired with soupy last night and he was terrible! there are definitely two players on this team that i would love to trade and hope for decent value. that's kulikov and versteeg. i really don't have any major problems with the rest of the roster although there can be improvements made. i believe these 2 guys have a negative overall effect on this team.

zosodp

Oct 22, 2013
I think some people are right, he is young and we shouldn't give up on him.

Keep in mind, this organizations "modus operandi" in the past was to rush our high draft picks right to the NHL because they would make us so much better.

Also, defensemen take longer to develope. He shows flashes of being an excellent defensemen at times. All of our defensemen make stupid mistakes, but we single him out for criticism. He scored last night because an all-star defensemen made a stupid play. Maybe the Blackhawks should trade Duncan Keith now.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
This thread:facepalm:

Trading Kulikov would be a massive mistakes. Giving up on players like him, is exactly why people here aren't coaches or GMs.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
IMO Kulikov has been solid last couple games. Hopefully he's finally got it together. As for trading him. No reason to do it. He won't fetch us anything near what he's worth. We'd be looking at another prospect project, salary dump and 2nd rounder for him

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
IMO Kulikov has been solid last couple games. Hopefully he's finally got it together. As for trading him. No reason to do it. He won't fetch us anything near what he's worth. We'd be looking at another prospect project, salary dump and 2nd rounder for him

He could for sure fetch more than that.. that 2nd round would only be a compensation for taking on the salary dump. So its a project for Kulikov.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
you play in the NHL; you play like the game is supposed to be played in the NHL. you can't have people roaming around and stuff. you're saying he's not a top pairing d-man because he's russian and all the intangibles connected to the russian heritage...

read it again, i'm saying there's a culture differences. Kulikov being an "island" type of player wont help. people makes assumptions like OP does are plain wrong, it's not that simple to fit together different schooltype of players. bringing in another player (Barkov) who speaks his language and understands his game and is a future Franchise will maybe help him.

Last edited:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
read it again, i'm saying there's a culture differences. Kulikov being an "island" type of player wont help. people makes assumptions like OP does are plain wrong, it's not that simple to fit together different schooltype of players. bringing in another player (Barkov) who speaks his language and understands his game and is a future Franchise will maybe help him.

but barkov is from finland and have lived there his whole life (afaik, atleast), how does that help him?

i think you're way wrong. there's alot of successful russians in the NHL.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Kulikov was our best defenseman last year. Yes he's made mistakes but he's still played well at times this season. If he's moved and he's the best player in the trade, we'll 100% regret it.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
Kulikov was our best defenseman last year. Yes he's made mistakes but he's still played well at times this season. If he's moved and he's the best player in the trade, we'll 100% regret it.

sorry i have to disgree. kulikov was not and never has been our best defenseman. i can say he showed a lot of promise his first 1 1/2 years, but since then has been erratic at best.

Southern Hockey*

sorry i have to disgree. kulikov was not and never has been our best defenseman. i can say he showed a lot of promise his first 1 1/2 years, but since then has been erratic at best.

Do you realize that most Dmen don't hit prime until 27-28ish? Trading him now would be a major mistake.

Assuming, arguendo, that you are right and he isn't playing well now (which I disagree with), then we don't stand to lose much by keeping him. Either he gets better, or he still sucks and his value hasn't changed much, at which point we could dump him.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

Sigh... these Kulikov rant threads are tiresome. I can probably point to worse mistakes that Gudbranson has made in the same games, yet no one wants to trade him.

Last year he was injured most of the season and never got it together. The 2 years prior to that he was pretty damn good for a 1st-2nd year player and showed promise. This year he has been inconsistent but far from our worst defenseman.

Just give this guy a break and let him develop (he is about to turn 23, for crying out loud). Right now we want him to be our top pairing defenseman and don't forgive any mistakes he makes on the ice, yet we oversee all the good plays he does make.

The only reason to move him is if he fetches us a very good player in return. Trading him just to dump his salary or because you can't see that this guy is still developing does nothing good for the franchise.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
i never said to trade him as a salary dump. of course i would want a good deal in return which i believe we can get. he's just so inconsistent that i'm tired of watching him.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Beaulieu +?

Beaulieu was the MVP for the bulldogs in his first full season and has already had a taste of the NHL, looking very solid.

of course LeBlanc is another guy in need of a change of scenery, so he could be included.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Huberdeau is leading our team in giveaways so far this season, and he had the highest number of giveaways last season. We should trade him.:sarcasm:

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Although I am frustrated with Kulikov at times, I don't want to trade him unless it's in a trade for a better player. If we're trading Kulikov for minor leaguers and picks I will be pissed off.

The kid is still developing and may still put it together. The good news is that he's not awful like some of our previously highly-touted defensive prospects were, so he's not exactly a liability back there.

I think playing him with someone like Campbell makes a lot more sense. He needs that calming veteran presence. I see no reason to trade him unless, as I said, it's part of a package for an even better player.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Beaulieu +?

Beaulieu was the MVP for the bulldogs in his first full season and has already had a taste of the NHL, looking very solid.

of course LeBlanc is another guy in need of a change of scenery, so he could be included.

Florida is not going to trade a season NHL defenseman who has a ton of upside still for an AHLer, no matter his age. :shakehead

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
but barkov is from finland and have lived there his whole life (afaik, atleast), how does that help him?

i think you're way wrong. there's alot of successful russians in the NHL.

Barkov & Kulikov speaks same language. Sure there is lot of successful Russian in the league they are most skilled players in the world (theres also many of them being an island type of players) with good management and coaching they occasionally play damn well together.

Panthers607

Kulikov's our greatest trade asset, sure, but I wouldn't want to trade him just for the sake of it.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Trading Kulikov is not the right move to make for this team. And even if everybody agreed to trade him, then trade him for what exactly? It's so easy to say "trade him!" Go back and look at the 2009 draft, and see the players that went behind him in the first round. With the exception of maybe one or two guys, I'd take Kulikov every time. You need to factor in his injuries he has had, and the rush-job we did with him. He was in the NHL at 18 years old. He wasn't ready for it, but in true Panther fashion, we threw him in the fire, and now we expect him to be some awesome defense man. Give me a break, this kid has battled through a lot, and he's improved without any real great defense man to learn his trade from. Kuli is doing fine, and should not be traded.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I agree it gets frustrating at times, but it's not just him. For all the promise Gudbranson showed in pre-season, he has nothing to show for it in 10 games. But as it's been mentioned before, they are young, we can't give up on them. We really have to stay the course. If we trade them I have no doubt they'll become studs wherever they go. I have no problem changing our vets, but our young core I'm not giving up on.

Jeff Shafer

Established: 1987
My question to those supporting a decision to trade Kulikov would be: Why trade a player who's shown the ability to play top-4 defensemen minutes and is only 22 yrs old.

Patience is a virtue, with the influx of talent in the next couple of seasons Kulikov will blossom as will Gudbranson and hopefully Michael Matheson. Building thru the draft and sticking the full course is something as Panther fans (myself included) are use to hearing but never seeing.

We should be focused on the defensive laps from Campbell, Gilroy (who plays like a 4th forward), and Weaver. For all each brings to the table not one of them is a complete defensemen.

I always find it comical when this board decides to pick roughly 2-3 players each season to pick on and trade based on an entire teams performance rather than an individuals talent, many of whom then do get moved and produce else where. (Please I do not want an argument of "well which players were they" or "oh ok, name em then") I'm simply having an interventional discussion.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
My question to those supporting a decision to trade Kulikov would be: Why trade a player who's shown the ability to play top-4 defensemen minutes and is only 22 yrs old.

Patience is a virtue, with the influx of talent in the next couple of seasons Kulikov will blossom as will Gudbranson and hopefully Michael Matheson. Building thru the draft and sticking the full course is something as Panther fans (myself included) are use to hearing but never seeing.

We should be focused on the defensive laps from Campbell, Gilroy (who plays like a 4th forward), and Weaver. For all each brings to the table not one of them is a complete defensemen.

I always find it comical when this board decides to pick roughly 2-3 players each season to pick on and trade based on an entire teams performance rather than an individuals talent, many of whom then do get moved and produce else where. (Please I do not want an argument of "well which players were they" or "oh ok, name em then") I'm simply having an interventional discussion.

i was positive for trading kulikov for a young proven top6 center (namely coutourier, even if he's not proven offensively, he never had the chance in philly)... but that was under the premise that we picked jones.

now we cant expend the one that's most likely to become a two way defenseman. balance is extremely important and i love kulikovs game. he need to be paired up with someone else than weaver so he isn't always the one forced to make the offensive play. and i love weaver.

as it is right now, the only way i'd be for trading kulikov was if mccoshen steps up and plays better than him. we can't expend kulikov, his '11-12 season was magnificent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad