Value of: Kulikov or Vatanen to the Leafs

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
He’s not a 3rd pairing defenseman and last season the Sabres infamously traded Marco Scandella for a 4th on Jan 2nd and the Habs flipped him to the Blues at the TDL for a 2nd AND a conditional 4th (which they got when he signed with St.Louis).

Scandella averaged 17:38 minutes in those 20 games with St Louis because he didn’t play special teams. That was 4th on Montreal for EV ice time.

Andy Greene was averaging 20:03 minutes, he wasn’t playing more then Kulikov is now, and he got a 2nd. Andy’s value was different, it certainly wasn’t his numbers, but he got a 2nd too.

Kulikov should cost a 2nd, he’s dirt cheap and he’s playing great, it’s not Savard is playing great and his cap hit is 4.25m.

Yeah, sorry, I meant he was 3rd pairing with the Jets that then had a career year. This year he's been much, much better than 3rd pair.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Late to the party but LMAO... a conditional first for Kulikov?!

Oh man... good times!

BTW, you can always resign him after the rental period.
The condition would be winning the Stanley Cup, that would be the only condition in play there.

I don’t think it would happen, you can have a second conditional pick for that, but it’s not like people would expect it for making to the Conference Finals or something.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
The condition would be winning the Stanley Cup, that would be the only condition in play there.

I don’t think it would happen, you can have a second conditional pick for that, but it’s not like people would expect it for making to the Conference Finals or something.

The guy that thought a conditional first would be appropriate was if the Leafs made it to the second round. Heh.

It reminds me of Ranger fans thinking Lemieux would garner a first, and two weeks later, he gets traded for a fourth.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The guy that thought a conditional first would be appropriate was if the Leafs made it to the second round. Heh.

It reminds me of Ranger fans thinking Lemieux would garner a first, and two weeks later, he gets traded for a fourth.
I agree. Kulikov finished the year as a barely 3rd pair with the Jets gets a barely more than min contract and 2 assists later we are talking about trading 1st/2nds for him? I don’t know how this is reasonable.

Reactions: Pongs21

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree. Kulikov finished the year as a barely 3rd pair with the Jets gets a barely more than min contract and 2 assists later we are talking about trading 1st/2nds for him? I don’t know how this is reasonable.

He won't get a 1st but you could do a lot worse than him as a depth guy

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
All it takes is one person to derail a thread. Conditional 1st is asinine. Conditional 2nd is what he may fetch if there is enough of a market for him.

Reactions: banks

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Kulikov is not worth a first, but given how absolute dog shit our defense has been the past couple of years before this one, of course Devils fans are going to overvalue a defenseman who is actually playing really good hockey. Kulikov is probably worth a 2nd + 3rd round pick, which is akin to what Sami Vatanen brought back last year, who was not playing nearly as well as Kulikov is playing presently this season. Vatanen got Kuokkanen (which is essentially a 2nd rounder), Freddy Claesson, and a 3rd round pick. Defensemen are typically a bit overvalued at the deadline, so I see Kulikov bringing back around a 2nd and a 3rd rounder.

Reactions: HBK27

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
All it takes is one person to derail a thread. Conditional 1st is asinine. Conditional 2nd is what he may fetch if there is enough of a market for him.

I can see him going for a 4th+ decent prospect. Where the 4th becomes a 3rd after 1 round, which becomes a 2nd if the team winds a few rounds, and maybe becomes 1st if they win the whole thing, with a ballancing pick going back at that point.

I.e
4th + prospect no matter what.
3rd+mid prospect if they make it through 1 round.
3rd+4th+mid prospect if they win two rounds
2nd+mid prospect if they win three rounds
1st+mid prospect if the win the cup, where Devils add a 3rd going back to the other way.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
That’s just silly ^

I am sticking to my first offer of a second round pick that moves up to a first if the maple leafs can actually win a playoff series

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Kulikov will most certainly not get the Devils a 1st, but his return should be solid as he's played well this season and is on an affordable contract
2nd and a prospect will definitely get it done... probably less in reality though

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
For a depth defender it absolutely isnt. Previous lack of success doesnt increase the value of a player you're bringing in.
I think kulikov deserves to play in the top 4 wherever he goes. He is playing like an elite defenseman this season, not some depth defender.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Kulikov will most certainly not get the Devils a 1st, but his return should be solid as he's played well this season and is on an affordable contract
2nd and a prospect will definitely get it done... probably less in reality though
I’m just going to keep him and resign him with a raise if that’s the best offer. However, Palmieri can be had for a second and a prospect

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I’m just going to keep him and resign him with a raise if that’s the best offer. However, Palmieri can be had for a second and a prospect

Don't need to keep him to re-sign him.. they could do the same thing the did with Vatanen last year
and Palms has a lot more value to a contender than Kulikov does

Last edited:

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Can Kulikov play the right side? Because if anything, the Leafs need an extra blueliner that could give Bogosian the night off here or there. Dermott’s been largely unnoticeable, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing either.
I can't really speak to his proficiency on his off side, but I'd imagine with his style it wouldn't be too big of a deal. Based on his play this year, I'd take Kulikov over both those players.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
This is a really odd comment.

If the Devils made Kulikov available, there would likely be 10 to 15 teams with a keen interest depending on price.

If the Sabres made Hall available, they would have to retain heavily and perhaps take back an undesirable contract to get any teams interested.

I don't think you are making the point you think you are making.
Hall at 50% retained still won’t get a 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad