News Article: Kulemin: All discussion here

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Enough with this love affair, every single player in this franchise is tradeable. If this team wants to become a winner, we need to stop falling in love with our players and do a better job in the asset management departement.

look at the big picture, lets say we trade kulemin for despress/niskanen (franson replacement)

and then flip franson+raymond for lauri korpikoski+2nd (or rundblad)

Then replace raymond by leivo or abbott

Did we lose anything ? i would say no, i would even go to say we got quite better without giving up much

Excellent post, positively refreshing!

If Pittsburg really has a love on for Kulemin, and know their window is now, and every year away from their only cup with Crosby the window gets smaller. We need to capitalize on this.

If Shero wants to overpay to get the cup, we deal Kulemin for max assets. And Nonis is smart enough to do this.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Kule pops a few and all of a sudden he's a hot topic. I don't put much stock into it. Nonis taking calls is alot different than making calls.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
the only way i'd be okay with kulemin leaving us is only if we get komarov back next year. otherwise i'll be pissed if we ice a roster without kulemin or komarov.

i guess his asking price to re-sign with the leafs is prob too high for nonis. 4M+ i'm guessing. instead, i'd deal kulemin for a right-handed d-man and offer kulemin's current salary and re-sign komarov. komarov is looking for kulemin's current money anyways (as of last year).

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
If he goes it better b for a guy like Despres. People who think Niskanen would be a good return need to watch way more Penguins' games. Up until the last month or so he's been playing like a slightly more mobile Franson(this year's edition). Not a bad guy to have, but not necessarily a need, and certainly not worth creating the void that trading Kulemin would create.

People can knock on the guy all they want, but he's been utilized solely in a defensive role until recently.He's clearly better in very facet of the game than Clarkson. He's one of the only + players on the team. He kills penalties and will probably soon see some PP time. Perhaps he's not going to be the 50-60 point player everyone thought he would be, but are some people seriously suggesting guys like Jerry D'amigo, Carter Ashton, or Josh Leivo are anywhere near filling his role? Maybe if you combined the skills sets of all 3, you'd end up with a player like Kulemin.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Kulemin is a good player, one of my favourites and my forum namesake. But the Leafs are a bubble team and every player should be up for grabs if the price is right, especially our pending UFAs. I'd rather they resign him for reasonable salary, but if theres a fleecing to be had, why not. The Leafs didn't stand pat when teams came calling for Schenn, Stajan, or Beauchemin.

... Then again, they didn't stand pat when teams came calling for Steen or Rask...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Niskanen would be a great upgrade for Franson. Franson shouldn't be too hard to flip for something, considering Loiselle said they could trade Franson today if they wanted.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If Kulemin leaves, who goes and works to dig out the puck?

Its just like when Bozak was injured for the Leafs and there were no oen that worked on that line. It's the little things that the average fan won't pick up. Bozak goes in and retrieves the puck for Kessel. The reason Kadri and Lupul have been successful in the past couple games is how effective Kulemin is at puck retreival.

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
Why does everyone say this, Dreger has a proven record of scooping Leafs deals.

So they are taking calls on Kulemin. Means Pittsburg is most likely interested with Dupuis out. Nonis would be silly not to listen.

That's the point, of course he's gonna listen. But that isn't news, Dreger went for reporting actual news to reporting Leafs gossip all the time.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Lame. Apparently the plan is that Kulemin's gone next season regardless. Double lame. He can give Don Cherry a double **** you from me on his way out.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Everyone has their price and if Kulemin truly wants to leave, we have to make a move.

BUT, don't for a second think we have ANYONE in our lineup who can replace his two-way game and contributions along the boards! If we trade him, there better be a plan to find another solid two-way forward, which is where i have some serious doubts!

Either way, longest serving Leafs deserves some respect from everyone here!

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Everyone has their price and if Kulemin truly wants to leave, we have to make a move.

BUT, don't for a second think we have ANYONE in our lineup who can replace his two-way game and contributions along the boards! If we trade him, there better be a plan to find another solid two-way forward, which is where i have some serious doubts!

Either way, longest serving Leafs deserves some respect from everyone here!

Exactly right.

There's a lot more than just looking at his cap and saying that since there has to be a move, he's the one that makes sense.

You absolutely need to get someone that is the exact same player.

If any of the Marlies were that good and consistent, then they would be with the Leafs now. Leivo, McKegg, etc. are going to be good eventually, but not if you expect them to come in and compete down the stretch for a playoff push.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Kulemin for Niskanen is no longer fair value after this season.

It was a great deal last year or the year before but Niskanen is having an absolute monsterous year for Pittsburgh and his value is much higher than Kulemin's.

I would probably do Kulemin for Depres. Kulie's my favorite player but the writing is pretty much on the wall with him and I would like to A) get something good for him and B) see him go to a team where he'll have success.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I love Kulemin, but he is not irreplaceable.

D'amigo is an excellent choice to replace him.

Ashton is more of a 4th line guy IMO, it's starting to look like he has no scoring touch at the NHL level. Which is too bad, I really thought he would be an impact bottom 6 player for us this year.

Clarkson is a better player than Kulemin, he can slide into the top 6, he has played well with Kadri and Lupul already in the Washington game so it is a very logical move.

Who would playing with McClement and Orr? These guys are the ultimate scrubs in the offensive end (well for Orr, he is a scrub anywhere on the ice). I think with his speed and nose for the net, he has enough to be a 3rd liner.

I don't understand why Leafs are not trying to keep Kulemin. He is a solid 3rd liner. Maybe he is asking 3M or more but well, no one is going to give him that on the open market. He has size, speed and good defensive skills that are much needed on the team.

Mason Raymond is the guy they should be shopping around a bit. Teams want skill at the deadline and Raymond has done more than we expected out of him and I see no reason to re-sign him so it makes sense to move him. Give a guy like Ashton to take his spot or even Holland there on the wing once Bolland returns.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Take an overpayment if at all possible.

If we could miraculously pull out a trade for a top-4 defensemen I would be enthused.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I know Kulemin and his family love Toronto though I'm not sure he loves it enough to leave money on the table. Despite his offensive drop off he's probably going to be worth more on the FA market than he is on the Leafs with their cap situation.

I do think the team benefits from having a Kulemin type of player and I would love to keep him but it can't be at a price that handicaps the team and if letting him go means somehow improving the team then I'm okay with that...but I'm not going to lie, Kulemin is one of those players that I'm inexplicably sentimental about and a part of me will be sad if he goes.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Joel Ward

Toronto boy, Laurier Alum, 35 Takeaways on the season, 3 mil cap hit.. UFA 2015-16

Does that make sense? I don't know... trade value isn't my thing

Last edited:

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
Apparently Kulemin can be replaced by D'Amigo. Perhaps we should offer D'Amigo to Pitts for Niskanen or Depres...

Clown shoes.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I know Kulemin and his family love Toronto though I'm not sure he loves it enough to leave money on the table. Despite his offensive drop off he's probably going to be worth more on the FA market than he is on the Leafs with their cap situation.

I do think the team benefits from having a Kulemin type of player and I would love to keep him but it can't be at a price that handicaps the team and if letting him go means somehow improving the team then I'm okay with that...but I'm not going to lie, Kulemin is one of those players that I'm inexplicably sentimental about and a part of me will be sad if he goes.

I actually found out Kulemin's address by accident :naughty:

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
I would trade Kule for a 2015 1st round draft.

You guys want a chance at mcdavid?

This is how and hope the other team has a really terrible season.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Kulemin is one of my favorite Leafs but trade Kulemin, Bolland, McClement, Raymond, Franson. Get some picks in return

I agree other than Bolland and possibly McClement (depends how much McClement is looking for)

Get a late 1st for Kulemin, I actually like the look of this draft coming up, not the best top picks but after that it looks good to me.

Franson and Raymond just take what you can get and call up some Marlies.

I'd like to keep Kulemin but he's gonna want a raise and even if he deserves it, I LOVE Kulemin at $2.8 but you know that's not happening again. Plus, I kinda want to see what would happen if he played on the Pens just because I'm a Kulemin fan :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad