News Article: Kulemin: All discussion here

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I just have a feeling when it is all said and done best case scenario is the Leafs lose 2 regulars. Franson being 1 for obvious reasons but there is probably going to be at least 1 more (not including Raymond). I don't see how Leafs can hold onto Kuli and Bolland + resign Gardiner. But I am not a GM so lets see what happens!!

You know that this is going to be pretty cheap right?

JB Maple Leafs

Aug 31, 2005
Barrie
I think a package with Kulemin for Chris Stewart seems like the most logical approach. Kulemin would work very well in a Hitchcock system and Stewart would slot in nicely with Lupul and Kadri.
Would probably require Kulemin + a good prospect at least to get it done though.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Not a big fan of Chris Stewart in return for kulie. We are sacrificing defense for offense which I don't think is a good idea at all. I prefer consistent Kulie instead of an inconsistent Chris Stewart.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think it's quite telling that RC made mention of him in the post game presser. So much so that I think he could put some real pressure on the Bolland situation and whether or he's kept past March 5th.

Dreger on Leafs breakfast said this morning there's not much of appetite to have another centre making $4m+ on this team; And it's understandable despite his contribution earlier in the year.

Number13

May 21, 2007
KEEP KULEMIN. One of the most efficient, strongest hockey players I've ever seen. I still think there's potential to grow as well. He actually looks great at centre.

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin (3.25)
D'amigo/Raymond - Bolland (4) - Clarkson
Ashton - Mclemment - Broll/Bodie

Please Leafs?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
KEEP KULEMIN. One of the most efficient, strongest hockey players I've ever seen. I still think there's potential to grow as well. He actually looks great at centre.

It would be pretty dumb of Leafs' management to let him go for nothing.

Re-sign or trade.

One or the other.

My opinion?

Re-sign around $4M with term.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Re-sign or trade.

One or the other.

My opinion?

Realistically he'll get 3/3.5, it's not like he's coming off a 30 goal season within the last couple years like Clarkson to demand a big contract. He's really cooled off offensively and I personally believe 3-3.5 gets it done on a 3/4 year deal.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Not a big fan of Chris Stewart in return for kulie. We are sacrificing defense for offense which I don't think is a good idea at all. I prefer consistent Kulie instead of an inconsistent Chris Stewart.

Realistically he'll get 3/3.5, it's not like he's coming off a 30 goal season within the last couple years like Clarkson to demand a big contract. He's really cooled off offensively and I personally believe 3-3.5 gets it done on a 3/4 year deal.

stewart would be a pretty solid addition to our top 6. i think playing him with lupul and kadri would be amazing. he was killing it with stastny before the trade. i think on a more offensive style team he would be fine.

i like kulemin a lot but if you could get stewart for him that needs to be explored.

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-stewart
raymond-bolland-clarkson
ashton-mclemment-bodie/orr/mclaren/smith

personally i would prefer the above lineup

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Just looking up the GWG leaders on the Leafs and Kessel is 1st with 5 GWG , Kulie is 2nd with 4 GWG... that was a big surprise to me.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

Re-sign or trade.

One or the other.

My opinion?

$4M...are you crazy?

How on earth is a guy like Kulie worth 4M?

His defensive abilities can be easily replaced by someone at half that cost (or less).

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
$4M...are you crazy?

His defensive abilities can be easily replaced by someone at half that cost (or less).
t's easy to make broad statements like this.. But please provide a specific example, because right now I'd argue Nikolai Kulemin is our top two-way player and top 2 in terms of defensive play and PK ability on our squad as well.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
t's easy to make broad statements like this.. But please provide a specific example, because right now I'd argue Nikolai Kulemin is our top two-way player and top 2 in terms of defensive play and PK ability on our squad as well.

This.

I'm getting tired of hearing people say that what he brings is so "replaceable" when I have yet to see a tangible example of somebody who can replace him. The only person that has come close is D'Amigo but D'Amigo isn't as offensively talented as Kulemin. And when you're not as offensively talented as KULEMIN of all people then I fail to see how he can be replaced.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
This.

I'm getting tired of hearing people say that what he brings is so "replaceable" when I have yet to see a tangible example of somebody who can replace him. The only person that has come close is D'Amigo but D'Amigo isn't as offensively talented as Kulemin. And when you're not as offensively talented as KULEMIN of all people then I fail to see how he can be replaced.

McClement is a good example of what a good defensive forward should cost. And you can bet his raise won't be 4M.

D'Amigo is a good example as well of a guy on an ELC that can likely make a very similar defensive impact, for much less $$$.

"Offensively talented" and Kulemin shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Let's be serious here, the guy scored 30g once, and has since put up 22goals in 166 games. Not one penny of his contract should be handed out for "offensively abilities". I like Kulie; a lot. But I'm not going to blind myself to what he actually is; a defensive forward.

Guys like Gregory Campbell (1.7M), Jay McClement (1.5M), Dan Paille (1.3M), Drew Miller (1.35M), Darren Helm (2.12M), Kyle Brodziak (2.8M), Travis Moen (1.85M) are comparable players used in similar roles. Even with the cap rising I cannot begin to fathom how a guy that is so obviously just a ~10g guy can be worth 4M or more; long term.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

A top defensive forward sure but not a top 2 way forward. JVR/Bozak/Bolland are easily better 2 way players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just looking up the GWG leaders on the Leafs and Kessel is 1st with 5 GWG , Kulie is 2nd with 4 GWG... that was a big surprise to me.

That could be misleading. If you score the 2 goal in the 1st period of a 4-1 win you get the GWG.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Yes. I agree.

Kulie is a 1-way forward. To be a two way forward, you need to have talent at both ends of the ice.

i think kulemin is used in a defensive roll which is why his offensive numbers are not that impressive. he obviously isnt going to put up jvr numbers but i think if he played consistently with lupul and kadri he would be near 50 points which would be pretty average for a top 6 winger. its not like kulemin is an offensive black hole like mclemment who no matter what icetime he gets is going to struggle to put up points.

kulemin has a really good shot and above average skating imo which is why he seems to do better with lupul and kadri then clarkson. clarkson cant keep up with them.

having said that $4 million for a 3rd line winger is excessive. obviously the clarkson contract is going to be a nightmare for negotiating with kulemin but he has ALWAYS been reasonable in the past regarding his contract so i dont expect it to change now. i think nonis could get him at $3.25-3.5 depending on the term

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
i think kulemin is used in a defensive roll which is why his offensive numbers are not that impressive. he obviously isnt going to put up jvr numbers but i think if he played consistently with lupul and kadri he would be near 50 points which would be pretty average for a top 6 winger. its not like kulemin is an offensive black hole like mclemment who no matter what icetime he gets is going to struggle to put up points.
kulemin has a really good shot and above average skating imo which is why he seems to do better with lupul and kadri then clarkson. clarkson cant keep up with them.

having said that $4 million for a 3rd line winger is excessive. obviously the clarkson contract is going to be a nightmare for negotiating with kulemin but he has ALWAYS been reasonable in the past regarding his contract so i dont expect it to change now. i think nonis could get him at $3.25-3.5 depending on the term

I completely disagree. Kulie's offense has taken a notable drop off and I don't think you can just blame it on where he plays. He's just not an offensive player. He had one big year with a SH% way above anything else he's ever done, playing with two other guys that had massive career years.

I think expecting Kulie to put up 50pts is completely un-realistic.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
$4M...are you crazy?

That player you are imagining of could not be used in a top six role, and that is what you fail to understand.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
A top defensive forward sure but not a top 2 way forward. JVR/Bozak/Bolland are easily better 2 way players.

Top six centermen are expected to be 2 way players. That much should be obvious.

And JVR is as all-round a player as Kulemin. JVR is as good defensively as Kulemin is offensively.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
That player you are imagining of could not be used in a top six role, and that is what you fail to understand.

Either can Kulemin.

You can't honestly think that 30goals over an 82 game span is more representative of a player's offensive abilities than 22 goals over a 166 game span.

That much of a drop off you can't just blame on zone-starts.

Last edited:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Either can Kulemin.

Actually he can. When he played top-six offensive minutes, he scored thirty.

Since then he's been a strictly checking line player.

And I'd love for you to name me a single UFA or prospect in our system that is as versatile (able to play literally any forward position and role) and will come at a cheaper price tag.

I'm all ears.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Kulemin makes sense at around 3.25m, or in other words, similar to jarret stol or peverly, both solid two-way guys who can put up 15-20 goals and 35-40 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad