Kuemper sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tonight isn’t all on him, but yes he is garbage.

He's actually an excellent backup and spot starter. It was smart to scoop him up, given what some other teams are having to deal with.

Too many people blame goalies for goals that aren't their fault or bad nights every now and then.

I wish he'd clean up his exaggerated movement in the crease and get back in the net/play quicker, but that's about it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Bad thread is bad. Backup goalie, playing too many games. He can win games on his own, which is excellent for a backup. He has to be in the top 50-30% of backups, probably top 10 backup when you exclude kids who are moving up in their ranks. Its been a shame we have had to start him this much and I think the results show how hot and cold the group is in general rather than the goalie. Young team, needs work and confidence, hard to blame blowouts on the backup to me.

UK Yote

Jun 28, 2018
Kuemper is doing an ok job as backup. He tends to slide around his cease a bit more than I would like and then finds himself a little out of position but overall he is a steady guy that his team can trust.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Kuemper is doing an ok job as backup. He tends to slide around his cease a bit more than I would like and then finds himself a little out of position but overall he is a steady guy that his team can trust.

His pushoff is too strong for his own good. He's pretty reliable in making the first save when he's squared up to the shooter. Get him moving laterally or get a lateral rebound, and his pushoff has him so far out of position that he's nowhere to be found and possibly orbiting Jupiter.

Reactions: moosemeister

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
He’s rebound prone, but that may just be his style, which in conjunction with the team’s inability to knock any one down near the crease and clear the puck makes him look worse when those rebounds get put in. I didn’t see many King’s games with last year, but that’s my guess as to why his stats were so good with them and not the Coyotes.

You could see last night he was just off in focus; probably a result of so many games played recently. Just a sign he doesn’t have what it takes to transition into a full time starter. He’s not stringing great games together. On one and off the next.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I am like....so confused

I'm not confused, I think. :naughty:.

Kuemper is human, and he has some variation in his play. So, he can have a bad evening.

But he is generally a good goalie, excellent really, and he can play like a superstar occasionally.

Not confused. Just thinking he was a good guy to get. Bad goalies loses a bunch of games. Kuemper steals more games than he loses.

Good plan.

Reactions: CLW

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
We know our netminders have kept us in the race this year. This tweet confirms that Kuemper is not one of the league worst. He's also the only Coyote to meet the 20 game minimum.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He still has moments where he just seems to keep sliding past where he should be positioned but all and all this “questionable” acquisition by chayka last year has been a key piece in salvaging our season.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Feb 12, 2003
Darcy is in the flow right now. When he is playing like this you expect the best from him, a win is always possible if the team shows up in front of him.

Natty Hatty had some good discussion from a fan question about trading one of Raanta or Kuemper at some point. Raanta does look like he has elite numbers if not for the injuries. Assuming that Kuemper would want a deal similar to Raanta's when it expires in a year, do you spend all that money on the two or do you free up one of them and allow Hill to come in as backup? I think you could easily take the next year determining that course, because if Raanta stays healthy I think you stay with him. That might be an unlikely event however.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Darcy is in the flow right now. When he is playing like this you expect the best from him, a win is always possible if the team shows up in front of him.

Natty Hatty had some good discussion from a fan question about trading one of Raanta or Kuemper at some point. Raanta does look like he has elite numbers if not for the injuries. Assuming that Kuemper would want a deal similar to Raanta's when it expires in a year, do you spend all that money on the two or do you free up one of them and allow Hill to come in as backup? I think you could easily take the next year determining that course, because if Raanta stays healthy I think you stay with him. That might be an unlikely event however.
Somebody gets traded. Hill is ready and capable of being a backup. I’d expect someone to be moved by the deadline next year.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
We know our netminders have kept us in the race this year. This tweet confirms that Kuemper is not one of the league worst. He's also the only Coyote to meet the 20 game minimum.

Sharks winning despite having 2 of the worst goaltenders in hockey.

Feb 12, 2003
Somebody gets traded. Hill is ready and capable of being a backup. I’d expect someone to be moved by the deadline next year.
I agree, it only makes sense in terms of roster management. I think it is too early to make that move though. Does anyone feel comfortable of handing the reigns over to Kuemper long-term? At the moment I am not convinced. I would assume we are in the same position on Raanta and proving he can stay healthy.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
With Hill becoming eligble for waivers keeping Hill, Raanta and Kuemper will hopefully become a problem. That is if Raanta is through his string of bad luck. With the increase in goalie-injuries- not only with the Yotes- the league should change something something here. As in letting goalies be waiver-excempt longer, give them 1-way contracts in that extention or something.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I would keep all 3 for now and let it play out. None are proven starters, so we are guessing. If Kuemper finishes the season at the same pace, he is our likely longer term starter. Raanta has never played enough games in one season for whatever reason to be a starter. Keumper might be more likely to do it now, he has never had the chance, and Hill is still young.

Reactions: OriginalJetsCoyotes

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
I would keep all 3 for now and let it play out. None are proven starters, so we are guessing. If Kuemper finishes the season at the same pace, he is our likely longer term starter. Raanta has never played enough games in one season for whatever reason to be a starter. Keumper might be more likely to do it now, he has never had the chance, and Hill is still young.
Last thing we need to do it put all our eggs in one basket(Hill) and see him turn into Domingue 2.0 when he was here. I remember everyone was so excited about Domingue at one point too, saying he was our future #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad