Kucherov vs Mackinnon- who is the better player?

Who is better, Kucherov or Mackinnon?

• Kucherov

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Mackinnon

Votes: 66 49.3%

• Total voters

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Bolts fan voting MacKinnon. MacKinnon slightly better offensively. He’s worse defensively (and that matters more for him as a C) but he also has worse linemates.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Kucherov has been doing what he's been doing for 3 years, Mackinnon for 1.5 seasons. They're pretty close right now, so I'd go with the more proven guy.

Reactions: Iceman

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Kucherov has been doing what he's been doing for 3 years, Mackinnon for 1.5 seasons. They're pretty close right now, so I'd go with the more proven guy.
Shouldn't age be a factor? Kucherov at Mackinnon's age now was still putting up 60s.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Shouldn't age be a factor? Kucherov at Mackinnon's age now was still putting up 60s.
Meh, they're only 2 drafts apart, 2 years ago Kucherov was 5th in points / 4th in per game. Either way, with Mackinnon being 23 (and Kuch 25), they've been in the league long enough now that there's no real expectation for either of them to put up better numbers than they already have.

Reactions: Iceman

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I genuinely don't get MacKinnon votes. o_O

I've been a pro-MacKinnon guy since he was drafted. Have been rooting for him to get things going for ages. He is a terrific player, an absolute horse on the ice and seems to be a pretty likeable dude as well but let's be real here, before last year people didn't even consider him a top 20 center in the league but after ending with a terrific season he was suddenly bordering on being a top 5 player, for sure a top 10 player and after getting a stellar start to this season, he is now the best player in the world along with McDavid. What's with the sudden urge to push him to the moon? He has finished 5th in points once (probably gets another this year barring injury), no playoff record to speak off, doesn't have the all-around play of a Kopitar or something but let's talk about the topic at hand here and also be kind and go with the "what have you done for me now?" mentality, MacKinnon is definitely in the running for a top 5 spot, but if anyone is clearly ahead other than McDavid, it has to be Kucherov without a single doubt in mind, right? He has been outproducing him on a short and long-term basis, including an actual playoff record.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

I've been a pro-MacKinnon guy since he was drafted. Have been rooting for him to get things going for ages. He is a terrific player, an absolute horse on the ice and seems to be a pretty likeable dude as well but let's be real here, before last year people didn't even consider him a top 20 center in the league but after ending with a terrific season he was suddenly bordering on being a top 5 player, for sure a top 10 player and after getting a stellar start to this season, he is now the best player in the world along with McDavid. What's with the sudden urge to push him to the moon? He has finished 5th in points once (probably gets another this year barring injury), no playoff record to speak off, doesn't have the all-around play of a Kopitar or something but let's talk about the topic at hand here and also be kind and go with the "what have you done for me now?" mentality, MacKinnon is definitely in the running for a top 5 spot, but if anyone is clearly ahead other than McDavid, it has to be Kucherov without a single doubt in mind, right? He has been outproducing him on a short and long-term basis, including an actual playoff record.
MacKinnon actually has a very good playoff record albeit it's a very small sample. But he has been very clutch in big games.

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah MacKinnon is a stud in big games.

Hell before he finally broke out and people doubting if he ever would, I remember seeing things like "well if he can turn into a 50-60 point guy but then a playoff beast, that'll be okay"
Dude comes to play 150% in the playoffs.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
MacKinnon actually has a very good playoff record albeit it's a very small sample. But he has been very clutch in big games.

...and that is why I didn't use the word "bad" because it clearly ain't but I cannot give credit for something he MIGHT do.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Point is miles ahead of Rants and Johnson isn’t too far behind landeskog

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Point is miles ahead of Rants and Johnson isn’t too far behind landeskog

I agree with the latter statement but the former is just plain unreasonable.

Rantanen and Point are close if at that, and one (or many Avs fans that watch the games) might say Rantanen has been better than Mackinnon this year.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Kucherov has one more elite season than Mac in 16/17. Prior to that, their PPGs over the previous three years were .71 and .70.

That Mac has hit his prime one year later than Kucherov is the only difference. That Mac has reached Kucherov's level at an earlier age than Kucherov can be viewed as significant enough to overlook Kucherov's one more elite season.

Kucherov is the more proven playoff performer but Mac has a rep as a big game player even before coming into the NHL and is off to a good start with a playoff PPG of 1.23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad