Proposal: Kucherov to the Leafs

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
There is NOTHING that the Leaf fans would be willing to give in return that would make the trade worth the Lightning's time. What Lightning fans would ask for in return would be as insane to the Leaf fans as asking for Kucherov sounds to us.

And for the record: about half of every Leafs trade I've ever seen has included some variation of Kadri, JVR, Bozak and Phaneuf prior to his trade. Either you guys must be desperate to get rid of them or you are acutely aware that these players are nothing more than spare parts. So I ask: Why would they net such a substantial return?

More importantly, if you believe these players to be assets; then why trade them from a team that finished last place a season ago? Won't you need all the help you can get?

real leafs fans don't want to trade JVR or Kadri

Its mostly outsiders/those aren't clued in to the team and don't realize how important they are. Kadri especially is so important to to the team, no Leafs fan who watched Kadri last year would ever want to deal him. Ever.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Is it really that horrible? If so I apologize, I thought this was a fair deal. I'll edit the proposal.

If you really thought this was a fair deal you should never make a trade thread ever again. You can't really think the difference in those two players is a 2nd round pick. Take off your blue tinted glasses and join the real world.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
You're seriously asking to take our best and most clutch scorer over the past two postseasons right in the middle of our Cup window?!? And break up the line with perhaps the best synergy in the entire league?!?

Let me be perfectly clear about this: Toronto doesn't have the pieces to get Kucherov from Tampa. Toronto doesn't even have the pieces to start a conversation with Tampa about getting Kucherov. END OF THREAD.

It was a dumb trade proposal for sure, but this is just a dumb statement. Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, 1st round pick, etc. Aren't worthy of the great Kucherov eh? :shakehead

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
It was a dumb trade proposal for sure, but this is just a dumb statement. Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, 1st round pick, etc. Aren't worthy of the great Kucherov eh? :shakehead

Considering he's our best postseason scorer (not to mention tops in the NHL over the past two years) and we're trying to win a Cup now, hell no they aren't worthy. Marner and Matthews have yet to play a shift in the NHL and will be considered successes if they reach the level Kucherov is at now, Nylander's the same except he at least has reached the NHL, Reilly's not bad but we're stacked at LD and can't protect another defenseman anyway, and you're smoking some Rob Ford stuff if you think a first round pick means anything to us where Kucherov is concerned.

It's understandable that you're unfamiliar with how an actual competitive team operates, but let me clue you in: they don't trade their best players for futures. That is what bottom feeders do as they prepare for yet another rebuild. Think about that next time before you call somebody's statement dumb, ok?

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Considering he's our best postseason scorer (not to mention tops in the NHL over the past two years) and we're trying to win a Cup now, hell no they aren't worthy. Marner and Matthews have yet to play a shift in the NHL and will be considered successes if they reach the level Kucherov is at now, Nylander's the same except he at least has reached the NHL, Reilly's not bad but we're stacked at LD and can't protect another defenseman anyway, and you're smoking some Rob Ford stuff if you think a first round pick means anything to us where Kucherov is concerned.

It's understandable that you're unfamiliar with how an actual competitive team operates, but let me clue you in: they don't trade their best players for futures. That is what bottom feeders do as they prepare for yet another rebuild. Think about that next time before you call somebody's statement dumb, ok?

You would be stupid to not trade Kucherov for Matthews.

I can understand the argument for Marner and Nylander simply because Kucherov himself is an elite player and while I think Marner has a higher ceiling and is likely to hit it, it is still a backwards move.

fwiw, I wouldn't trade Marner for Kucherov myself.

Barness01

Jan 28, 2016
Why is Kucherov's stock so high?? A player like Jordan Eberle or Sean Monahan hit similar numbers at a younger age.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Why is Kucherov's stock so high?? A player like Jordan Eberle or Sean Monahan hit similar numbers at a younger age.

Because Eberle has not played a single playoff game in his 400+ games NHL career.

Monahan's stock seems to be pretty high, though?

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016

I can understand the argument for Marner and Nylander simply because Kucherov himself is an elite player and while I think Marner has a higher ceiling and is likely to hit it, it is still a backwards move.

Again, we're in a position to compete for Cups now. Unless you think Matthews is going to come in and be the best playoff scorer on our team right off the bat then it's a bad move for us. Kucherov is an elite young forward and the top playoff scorer in the NHL over the past two postseasons, and while Matthews has a ton of potential there's simply no incentive for us to trade our best scorer for potential when we've finished in the SCF and the ECF the last two years.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Again, we're in a position to compete for Cups now. Unless you think Matthews is going to come in and be the best playoff scorer on our team right off the bat then it's a bad move for us. Kucherov is an elite young forward and the top playoff scorer in the NHL over the past two postseasons, and while Matthews has a ton of potential there's simply no incentive for us to trade our best scorer for potential when we've finished in the SCF and the ECF the last two years.

Jack Eichel level production is expected from Matthews. So you downgrade about 10 pts for next season but you upgrade to a big center with franchise player potential with only an ELC and it becomes an easy decision to swap the 2 for Tampa.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
:leafs

Kucherov (RFA rights)

:bolts

JVR

2016 2nd round pick

Bolts, who are under extreme cap duress (Johnson, Palat, Drouin, etc) get a top pairing LW for Stamkos on a cap friendly deal while adding a high 2nd (likely 31-35th overall) and Leafs get an impact winger for the Matthews line.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

:leafs

Nikita Kucherov (RFA Rights)

:bolts

JVR (30% retention)

William Nylander

2016 2nd

Revised proposal.

JVR, Nylander AND a 2nd? Jesus christ, are you trading for Stamkos?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Again, we're in a position to compete for Cups now. Unless you think Matthews is going to come in and be the best playoff scorer on our team right off the bat then it's a bad move for us.

Uh... there's a very good chance he would be, yes. Kucherov is a 65-70 point player. Eichel got 56 points last year on a bad team, and Matthews has consistently outproduced him at every level. It's entirely likely that Matthews on a good team would put up at least 65-70 points, and on top of that he plays a more impactful position.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Absolutely. Marner's draft+1 season in the CHL was far more impressive than Kucherov's draft+2 season in the CHL. Kucherov is a great young player, a fine first line player, but he's likely to peak in the 70 point range. Marner has the potential to be a superstar and contend for hardware (think Patrick Kane).

I don't think these Lightning fans follow the Canadian junior leagues much from down there.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Absolutely. Marner's draft+1 season in the CHL was far more impressive than Kucherov's draft+2 season in the CHL. Kucherov is a great young player, a fine first line player, but he's likely to peak in the 70 point range. Marner has the potential to be a superstar and contend for hardware (think Patrick Kane).

I don't think these Lightning fans follow the Canadian junior leagues much from down there.

Sorry, we're too busy with our team going deep into the playoffs.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
"Eichel got 56 points last year on a bad team, and Matthews has consistently outproduced him at every level."

Still not true no matter how many times it's repeated.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

Sorry, we're too busy with our team going deep into the playoffs.

LOL at this !! :handclap: :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad