Confirmed with Link: Kruger signs 1 year, $1.5m deal

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Here's the thing about "market value":

1) It's based on relative value to a respective team, therefore it's not consistant across the board. Saad could have been worth 3-4M on the 'hawks but still worth 6M to Cbus.

2) It's based not just off comparable players, but also projection. A guy like Saad is effectively an asset who's production should increase over his ELC--therefore projection upside goes into play...as well as an older asset that projects to decrease--Which will likley come into play with Seabrook.

3) It's also based on cap%. See also: Khabibulin at 6.5M AAV in 2006 taking up more cap than Toews at 10.5AAV in 2015. Ergo percentage, and not absolute AAV, comes into play.

4) The only real determining factor of whether or not a player actually was worth market value for a contract is when it's done and up--or at least nearly there. In the beginning there's too much speculation and wagering outcomes.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Just because you think it's nonsensical, doesn't mean it is. I am sure there are more than a few Hawk fans in the world that agree with me. Some people see things differently than others, who are you to say what is right and what is wrong?

Your insistence that worth isn't subjective is indeed nonsensical. Sorry to burst your ego, but it's not an absolute predicated on the wisdom of the one and only hawkaholic.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Your insistence that worth isn't subjective is indeed nonsensical. Sorry to burst your ego, but it's not an absolute predicated on the wisdom of the one and only hawkaholic.

Never said it was, but last I checked, this is a message board where people give their opinions. My opinion is that he isn't worth it, sorry if you don't like my opinion, but I am sure there are folks at home sitting on their couch and GMs sitting in their luxury chairs that agree with me. Just because a GM did think he is worth it, doesn't make it fact that he is, it's his opinion that Saad is worth it.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Never said it was, but last I checked, this is a message board where people give their opinions. My opinion is that he isn't worth it, sorry if you don't like my opinion, but I am sure there are folks at home sitting on their couch and GMs sitting in their luxury chairs that agree with me. Just because a GM did think he is worth it, doesn't make it fact that he is, it's his opinion that Saad is worth it.

I don't care about your opinion one way or the other. I'm merely laughing at your inability to grasp that worth is subjective, as well as your silliness in saying "**** Saad for requesting an amount of money that he isn't worth", when in fact, an NHL gm (not the armchair variety) not only thinks Saad is worth it, but paying him the very amount he requested. Saad was spot-on in gauging the market for his services.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't care about your opinion one way or the other. I'm merely laughing at your inability to grasp that worth is subjective, as well as your silliness in saying "**** Saad for requesting an amount of money that he isn't worth", when in fact, an NHL gm (not the armchair variety) not only thinks Saad is worth it, but paying him the very amount he requested. Saad was spot-on in gauging the market for his services.

Again, Clarkson isn't worth 6mil/yr, wasn't when he signed it, isn't now. Sure, it's subjective, but just because a GM signs him to that contract doesn't mean he is worth it. All I can do is laugh at you for thinking that no matter what, if a player signs a contract, that's what he's worth. That's his market value, not his worth. Big difference in my eyes.
And yes, **** Saad when he could have been here for 25mil, on a team that groomed him, where fans loved him, where he said he wanted to be and he said and I quote...money wasn't an issue... for signing for 5mil more than what he was offered here over 6 years. **** him. ****ing liar.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Again, Clarkson isn't worth 6mil/yr, wasn't when he signed it, isn't now. Sure, it's subjective, but just because a GM signs him to that contract doesn't mean he is worth it. All I can do is laugh at you for thinking that no matter what, if a player signs a contract, that's what he's worth. That's his market value, not his worth. Big difference in my eyes.

Saad believes he's worth $6m. CBJ thinks he's worth $6m. He's obviously worth it to them. That's all that matters. For you to say it's wrong for him to ask for a salary teams were willing to pay is plain dumb. Sorry, it is.

And yes, **** Saad when he could have been here for 25mil, on a team that groomed him, where fans loved him, where he said he wanted to be and he said and I quote...money wasn't an issue... for signing for 5mil more than what he was offered here over 6 years. **** him. ****ing liar.

Your meltdown is actually really funny.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Saad believes he's worth $6m. CBJ thinks he's worth $6m. He's obviously worth it to them. That's all that matters. For you to say it's wrong for him to ask for a salary teams were willing to pay is plain dumb. Sorry, it is.
From Saad's point of view in the here-and-now, yes--the fact he asked for, and got, 6M is probably all tht matters. Cbus is gambling on him, though because he hasn't played to a 6M standard yet--and for young players part of "market value" is projection. Cbus can still lose in that deal, although I don't think they will.

Right now the onus is on him to perform. IMHO to be worth his deal he has to play like Sharp has (career-wise) for the 'hawks, and Saad career-wise isn't there yet. I think he will break the 30 goal threshhold, though. But, on the off-chance that Saad's play is a result of playing with 2 FHoF'ers, Saad will become Columbus's Bickell...well, maybe not that bad, but essentially a lot of money tied up in someone who cannot perform to the standard outlaid before him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad