News Article: Krug, Smith absent from B's golf tourney as camp nears

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

If you're looking for an affordable bottom-6 option from the Isles who gives you some sandpaper, Matt Martin should be the target. He obviously wouldn't be the center piece of a Boychuk deal (I'd hope), but he'd be a great fit here.

Clutterbuck + Matt Martin.

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Spooner-Soderberg-Clutterbuck
Paille-Campbell-Martin

As Lou says.....BOOIINNGGGG. I just pictured a line of Spooner feeding Soderberg while Clutterbuck clears space.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
He regressed to 12g/14a in 64 games. At that pace I would rather Clutterbuck (12g/7a in 73), who will hit everything that moves in addition to chipping in with some goals.

I'm okay with either, sometimes "hit everything that moves" can be a negative, and Grabner had a down year s% wise. I'd imagine that will bounce back, and that makes him a 20 goal guy over 82 and you don't add much more pace than Grabner.

member 96824

Completely out of left field and unrelated whatsoever, but I've always thought T.J. Oshie would make an outstanding Bruin.

Love Oshie...I'd be surprised if he were to move ever though. He's a fan favorite and the most marketable player they have in a market that struggles with attendance numbers..even when they're having success. If they were to move a forward, I would guess Berglund would be the next to go for them.

He definitely comes a tad bit overrated and has had some serious playoff/olympic struggles, but he's a fun player to watch for sure.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Yeah, but not for a guy like Kelly who is 20-30 months removed from looking like a decent NHL player worthy of his lofty salary. A good preseason and good first 10 games from Kelly and there will be takers for certain. But right now you'd probably have to take back a bad contract to move him which doesn't help us at all.

yes but ten games into the season doesn't seem to help us either, as both players will be un-signed until then.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
yes but ten games into the season doesn't seem to help us either, as both players will be un-signed until then.

We sort of have every reason to screw around at least one of them.

As Dom has explained if we sign them during camp than we have to make trades to fit under the cap opening night with 20 bodies on the roster. That means we will be trading from a serious position of weakness and would have to take pennies back on the dollar for a guy like Boychuk to fit. It also means teams won't give us squat or even agree to deals for players like McQuaid or Campbell who could bring the needed cap relief.

Im guessing they hammer out the best deal they can with Smith so he can start the year with Bergy and screw Krug and don't sign him until November. We could probably do enough finangling with demotions to Providence and Savard LTIR to fit Reilly in under 3 mil. Krug is in a bad position and we will give Warso a look and have an awful PP before coming to our senses and signing Torey and that might happen if we buy out Kelly or trade him if he looks OK.

Dom- could Krug sign for 1 year in the KHL and then come back to us for the playoffs? Aren't playoff rosters cap exempt?

Could work for both sides Torey doesn't lose any money and dominates that league and makes it back in time for the playoffs burning an RFA year and gets himself a nice bridge deal for next season in the process?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
(...)

EDIT: Question(s), can't you be a certain amount above the cap before the season starts? Are we already at the ceiling being $800,000 above the cap or would we exceed that limit if we offered Krug say $2.5M plus the $800,000? Or is it that you can't sign a player when you are above the cap before the season starts and that the rule only works if say you gained that excess cap in a trade?

The Bruins, and any other NHL team, can be 10% above the cap until opening night.

$6.9M this year.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Putting Kelly on waivers does nothing. They have to be compliant on day 1. If he were to waive him, he wouldn't be claimed until noon of day 2. He'd still count as $2,075,00 against the cap after noon on day two (if he went unclaimed) and $3 million on day 1.
(...)

Doesn't the waiver period start 12 days prior to the start of the season?

If so, the first $925K of any player waived 3-4 days before the beginning of the season would not count against the cap if unclaimed.

If claimed, the whole cap hit disappears.

It's far from an optimal solution, but the point is that you don't need to wait until opening day.

And obviously you need to have a 20-man roster (including a back-up goalie) on opening day.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Doesn't the waiver period start 12 days prior to the start of the season?

Yes

13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:
(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver
Period; and
(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since
Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

I was working under the assumption the team exhausted all of other avenues (trades) and this was a last minute solution. Of course I was using Chiarelli's own words when he said he may wait until the season starts to make a deal.

Hope that clarifies it

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Yes

I was working under the assumption the team exhausted all of other avenues (trades) and this was a last minute solution. Of course I was using Chiarelli's own words when he said he may wait until the season starts to make a deal.

Hope that clarifies it

The issue I see is that we only have 1 player that is waiver exempt in Hamilton. Fraser isn't waiver exempt so if he gets a spot on the team, then we can't get under without risking a roster player to the wire. I would be shocked if he waited until the season to make a deal. I have a feeling a deal with be done sooner rather than later.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I figured they wouldn't be in camp. My theory is Chia has been keeping them in the loop the whole time and just told them they'll be signed once Savard's LTIR kicks in.

At least i hope that's the case.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I figured they wouldn't be in camp. My theory is Chia has been keeping them in the loop the whole time and just told them they'll be signed once Savard's LTIR kicks in.

I apologize if this has already been explained, but I don't see how it would prevent them from playing golf with the team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

wouldn`t shock me a bit, doesn`t sound like any of the verbal sparring stuff is happening, seems to be pretty well stated, once the B`s make space, Chia can address the kids

Not like the situation in Columbus, downright nasty

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I apologize if this has already been explained, but I don't see how it would prevent them from playing golf with the team.

Two theories on that;

1) It's a charity event, so perhaps they keep them away to avoid drawing attention to their status and thus take attention away from the fundraiser?

2)I assume it's an official team event, so since maybe they don't have contracts they're not allowed to participate?

Just spitballin' here, but i assume there's a reason as to why they're not there.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Naturally it's all optics/PR stuff. There is always the chance that Krug and/or Smith don't wind up playing with the Bruins - unless they get signed. Look at it from the players' perspective:

Krug: Got a contract for me?
Chia: $850.5K.
Krug: ORLY? Try $4.5M.
Chia: Where do I get that? Are you aware that there's a cap, and we're still paying Iggy?
Krug: Not my problem. You know what the fair market price is, and you know it's well north of the qualifying offer.
Chia: I'm working on trades - I'll get back to you when I've got something. If I hold out, I think I can get a better deal on moving my D, which means a better team for you to play with. Because it's the Cup. (TM, R)
Krug: I get it. That's how this works. Let me know when you can make a bona fide offer.
Chia: Oh, you golfin' with us?
Krug: Uh....
Chia: It's for kids.
Krug: There are kids in Russia. Plus, I have to hit the rink now. I'm working ten times as hard, because instead of our usual practice facilities *cough* CRAP *cough*, I'm in CT, and instead of having a team of NHL/AHL players to drill and scrimmage with, I've just got one - Smith.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Naturally it's all optics/PR stuff. There is always the chance that Krug and/or Smith don't wind up playing with the Bruins - unless they get signed. Look at it from the players' perspective:

Krug: Got a contract for me?
Chia: $850.5K.
Krug: ORLY? Try $4.5M.
Chia: Where do I get that? Are you aware that there's a cap, and we're still paying Iggy?
Krug: Not my problem. You know what the fair market price is, and you know it's well north of the qualifying offer.
Chia: I'm working on trades - I'll get back to you when I've got something. If I hold out, I think I can get a better deal on moving my D, which means a better team for you to play with. Because it's the Cup. (TM, R)
Krug: I get it. That's how this works. Let me know when you can make a bona fide offer.
Chia: Oh, you golfin' with us?
Krug: Uh....
Chia: It's for kids.
Krug: There are kids in Russia. Plus, I have to hit the rink now. I'm working ten times as hard, because instead of our usual practice facilities *cough* CRAP *cough*, I'm in CT, and instead of having a team of NHL/AHL players to drill and scrimmage with, I've just got one - Smith.

Not likely.

Especially when Haggs updated the story (yesterday I believe?) and said that the two sides were reportedly $750k apart. Krug probably asking for $3m, B's offering $2.25m, or something along those lines.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Pierre said on his podcast that Krug looks like he's in phenomenal shape. Then again, everything looks phenomenal to Pierre.

He apparently was watching him in CT recently. By watching, I mean stalking. :laugh:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Two theories on that;

1) It's a charity event, so perhaps they keep them away to avoid drawing attention to their status and thus take attention away from the fundraiser?

2)I assume it's an official team event, so since maybe they don't have contracts they're not allowed to participate?

Just spitballin' here, but i assume there's a reason as to why they're not there.

I'm saying that if you think this is all under the table stuff and it's only a matter of time and that the numbers are already agreed upon... That something like this would be a cinch to attend. No injury risk. These guys are both a part of the team after some housekeeping. Anyone asks, they can say precisely that.

I think it's naive to believe that everything is perfectly okay.

“We want them in our mix. As it’s been chronicled, we’ve never had that type of player not signed and not come to camp. I’ve been through a few of them in my time. They’re not very pleasant, but that’s what we have right now.†-Peter Chiarelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad