News Article: Krug, Smith absent from B's golf tourney as camp nears

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Pierre said on his podcast that Krug looks like he's in phenomenal shape. Then again, everything looks phenomenal to Pierre.

He apparently was watching him in CT recently. By watching, I mean stalking. :laugh:

I heard that Pierre stalking Krug was the season premiere of that new CBS show?...

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Not likely.

Especially when Haggs updated the story (yesterday I believe?) and said that the two sides were reportedly $750k apart. Krug probably asking for $3m, B's offering $2.25m, or something along those lines.

To be clear, I was specifically referring to why they wouldn't be at a charity golf tourney - not about the specifics of the contract negotiations. My point was that when you're in a negotiation that's got to be a little bit tense (and I mean tense in the best sense of the word - not acrimonious at all), the charity golf thing's going to go to the sides for the moment.

Even if the charity golfing were "allowed" (and I'm not sure it is, as it may be a team function), it wouldn't be wise for either side. Even if it's a nominal favor, it's still a favor that Krug would be doing for the team - not very good negotiating tactic for Chiarelli to ask for a favor while you're negotiating.

I'd guess somewhere between 2-3 mil is what's in store for each player, but that's a pretty wide window. Of course, that depends on which D get shipped, and possibly even which forwards make the team (although most of the younger forwards cost about the same).

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Naturally it's all optics/PR stuff. There is always the chance that Krug and/or Smith don't wind up playing with the Bruins - unless they get signed. Look at it from the players' perspective:

Krug: Got a contract for me?
Chia: $850.5K.
Krug: ORLY? Try $4.5M.
Chia: Where do I get that? Are you aware that there's a cap, and we're still paying Iggy?
Krug: Not my problem. You know what the fair market price is, and you know it's well north of the qualifying offer.
Chia: I'm working on trades - I'll get back to you when I've got something. If I hold out, I think I can get a better deal on moving my D, which means a better team for you to play with. Because it's the Cup. (TM, R)
Krug: I get it. That's how this works. Let me know when you can make a bona fide offer.
Chia: Oh, you golfin' with us?
Krug: Uh....
Chia: It's for kids.
Krug: There are kids in Russia. Plus, I have to hit the rink now. I'm working ten times as hard, because instead of our usual practice facilities *cough* CRAP *cough*, I'm in CT, and instead of having a team of NHL/AHL players to drill and scrimmage with, I've just got one - Smith.

I doubt that Chiarelli and Krug have had any negotiations or any contract talks since the exit interviews. (or Smith for that matter)

Not likely.

Especially when Haggs updated the story (yesterday I believe?) and said that the two sides were reportedly $750k apart. Krug probably asking for $3m, B's offering $2.25m, or something along those lines.

Uh...wasn't the offer $1.25 million like Bartkowski? If so, more like offering $1.25 million, asking for $2 million.

That is if you believe everything you hear (read)

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Clutterbuck + Matt Martin.

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Spooner-Soderberg-Clutterbuck
Paille-Campbell-Martin

As Lou says.....BOOIINNGGGG. I just pictured a line of Spooner feeding Soderberg while Clutterbuck clears space.

I'd definitely entertain something like that. We'd be getting two TOUGH guys who can play. And to top it all off, we'd be dumping Kelly in the process.

B's
FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($2.000m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($2.750m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Matt Martin ($1.000m)
Bobby Robins ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Torey Krug ($2.500m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
Zach Trotman ($0.625m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,200,333; BONUSES: $710,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,799,667

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
To be clear, I was specifically referring to why they wouldn't be at a charity golf tourney - not about the specifics of the contract negotiations. My point was that when you're in a negotiation that's got to be a little bit tense (and I mean tense in the best sense of the word - not acrimonious at all), the charity golf thing's going to go to the sides for the moment.

Even if the charity golfing were "allowed" (and I'm not sure it is, as it may be a team function), it wouldn't be wise for either side. Even if it's a nominal favor, it's still a favor that Krug would be doing for the team - not very good negotiating tactic for Chiarelli to ask for a favor while you're negotiating.

I'd guess somewhere between 2-3 mil is what's in store for each player, but that's a pretty wide window. Of course, that depends on which D get shipped, and possibly even which forwards make the team (although most of the younger forwards cost about the same).

Sorry, thought you were referring to the contract. I'm not surprised at all that neither Krug nor Smith were at the golf event given that they are not signed. Seems like a non-issue/story to me?

I doubt that Chiarelli and Krug have had any negotiations or any contract talks since the exit interviews. (or Smith for that matter)

Uh...wasn't the offer $1.25 million like Bartkowski? If so, more like offering $1.25 million, asking for $2 million.

That is if you believe everything you hear (read)

I don't (believe everything I read :D), but I was assuming that both sides had moved off their original demands?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Why did we pay Bartkowski if it might cost us losing Krug?

Was a RFA and filed for arbitration where he could've got more than what we signed him for.

Why did we give Caron a dollar if we were up against the cap?

Chiarelli probably thinks he has value and with a $600,000 cap hit, there should be a team(s) interested in a bottom 6 forward who can play PK minutes with a cheap cap hit.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Sorry, thought you were referring to the contract. I'm not surprised at all that neither Krug nor Smith were at the golf event given that they are not signed. Seems like a non-issue/story to me?

Just to avoid confusion as to what I was getting at...

I know very well that's why they weren't there. And I have no delusions about them being under "secret contract" either. I honestly believe that Chiarelli and company have yet to make up their minds as to what they want to do with this roster. And that's why we're waiting with no contracts for these two. And that's why there hasn't been a single deal made all off-season to alleviate the cap crunch.

Last edited:

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass

Look what happened to Eric Johnson a few years ago where he wrecked his knee at a golf event. Maybe the agent was worried about something like that happening again or maybe the B's were worried about it and told them to stay away so they wouldn't get sued if it did.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Just to avoid as to what I was getting at...

I know very well that's why they weren't there. And I have no delusions about them being under "secret contract" either. I honestly believe that Chiarelli and company have yet to make up their minds as to what they want to do with this roster. And that's why we're waiting with no contracts for these two. And that's why there hasn't been a single deal made all off-season to alleviate the cap crunch.

I think you're right. Training camp is where they will make key roster decisions this year.

Trades will depend on what they see as play evolves in camp. Most interesting.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't mind Chiarelli and his management group taking their time to put this team together.

What bothers me is how long it is taking, this team needs Krug & Smith as both play key roles that we can't simply replace from within.

Chiarelli needs to make a move in the next few days, preferably Kelly, Caron & Bartkowski or McQuaid out and finally get these bridge deals with Smith and Krug finished off.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Assuming that they are not being coy about the RFAs and that they are really holding out for more $$; then maybe Chiarelli's comments on Griffith's play yesterday was a shot across Smith's bow.

History has shown time and time again that missing training camp can have a major effect on performance (and injuries) when the holdouts finally sign.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/what-we-learned-sundays-black-gold-scrimmage

“It’s about keeping up with [Bergeron and Marchand], getting them pucks the right way and it’s about shooting. Griffith can do all of that stuff. He had a really good year last year in his first year as a pro. If you look back some guys [struggle] in that first year like if you look back to [David] Krejci or [Brad] Marchand. But Griffith had a really good year. He makes good plays, he makes smart plays and he doesn’t have to hang onto the puck for that long. It’s three days in, but I thought acquitted himself well tonight.”

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Jaden Schwartz just signed a 2 year deal with St. Louis for $2.3 million/year. Schwartz had 25 goals and 56 points last year. Fair to say a significant benchmark has been set for Reilly Smith. I can see Smith signing in the $1.5-1.75 range now.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Jaden Schwartz just signed a 2 year deal with St. Louis for $2.3 million/year. Schwartz had 25 goals and 56 points last year. Fair to say a significant benchmark has been set for Reilly Smith. I can see Smith signing in the $1.5-1.75 range now.

Chia may have been waiting for these types of benchmarks to be set. Can't hurt us aside from them missing time getting back into game shape and in stride with the team

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

$2 million year 1
$2.7 year 2
$2.35 cap hit.

If Smith signs a 1 year deal, it won't be compared to the AAV but the first year

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Was a RFA and filed for arbitration where he could've got more than what we signed him for.

Chiarelli probably thinks he has value and with a $600,000 cap hit, there should be a team(s) interested in a bottom 6 forward who can play PK minutes with a cheap cap hit.

How many years have people been saying this around here now? When is the cut-off for "Caron's about to get traded"? I can't believe people can just utter it for years and years, and still have hope/believe it.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
How many years have people been saying this around here now? When is the cut-off for "Caron's about to get traded"? I can't believe people can just utter it for years and years, and still have hope/believe it.

Well, Chiarelli did mention in the offseason that it might be time to trade Caron to a team to give him more of an opportunity to play. Hate the guy or love him, his $600,000 cap hit isn't detrimental to the team and isn't the reason why we can't sign Smith or Krug which was the point I was making. In fact, you could argue that for what he brings, he's a bargain as a 4th line player on this team because of our cap situation.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Well, Chiarelli did mention in the offseason that it might be time to trade Caron to a team to give him more of an opportunity to play. Hate the guy or love him, his $600,000 cap hit isn't detrimental to the team and isn't the reason why we can't sign Smith or Krug which was the point I was making. In fact, you could argue that for what he brings, he's a bargain as a 4th line player on this team because of our cap situation.

How bad can a player be before he's not a "bargain" anymore, though? You're thinking along the lines of nothing but numbers. If we signed a 46 year old Mark Recchi right now at $600,000, would it be a bargain? If you signed me, a 25 year old with minimal ice hockey playing experience to that contract, because it's the minimum, would it be a bargain? I fail to see how signing a player that has proven nothing to a 1-way contract for any amount, is a "bargain"?

I'm just all for Chiarelli taking more action. Why do you think he was able to sing Caron to the minimum so early in the offseason? It's because Jordan damn well knew he wasn't getting anything better anywhere else? That's the real point I think that people are failing to comprehend. How about looking around, and maybe signing someone else to that contract? Or how about working guys out during the offseason and working someone into the spot that's under a 2 way contract? What PC did was essentially guarantee a spot to someone who has provided not much more than nothing the past few seasons. Or, he'll be in a trade. But, I've heard that for years. I'm done believing something that I've heard for years and has never, ever happened. And, I don't know how in the world him getting signed somehow re-enforces these long, lost beliefs that "oh, he's gonna get traded soon."

Why was it important to lock up Jordan Caron? That's what I'm getting at? What the **** kind of asset do people really believe he is where he is going to make a difference in any trade? Why is it that you drag on not one, but two RFA contracts, into about a week before the season starts? I am especially annoyed because I KNEW this was going to happen, and no one wanted to believe it.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Why was it important to lock up Jordan Caron? That's what I'm getting at? What the **** kind of asset do people really believe he is where he is going to make a difference in any trade?

I've heard that Caron is filled with candy & small toys, and if you hit him with a stick it might all come out. Why wouldn't you want to keep that around? :sarcasm:

Claude et. al. clearly value Caron as a flexible substitution player who won't hurt the team too much when you put him in. The argument "but you could do better" does not seem to have a lot of traction with them. He isn't going anywhere.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I've heard that Caron is filled with candy & small toys, and if you hit him with a stick it might all come out. Why wouldn't you want to keep that around? :sarcasm:

Claude et. al. clearly value Caron as a flexible substitution player who won't hurt the team too much when you put him in. The argument "but you could do better" does not seem to have a lot of traction with them. He isn't going anywhere.

Thank you.

It's the sad truth.

I'm glad someone else is finally looking at it realistically, and not hopelessly optimistically.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
How bad can a player be before he's not a "bargain" anymore, though? You're thinking along the lines of nothing but numbers. If we signed a 46 year old Mark Recchi right now at $600,000, would it be a bargain? If you signed me, a 25 year old with minimal ice hockey playing experience to that contract, because it's the minimum, would it be a bargain? I fail to see how signing a player that has proven nothing to a 1-way contract for any amount, is a "bargain"?

I'm just all for Chiarelli taking more action. Why do you think he was able to sing Caron to the minimum so early in the offseason? It's because Jordan damn well knew he wasn't getting anything better anywhere else? That's the real point I think that people are failing to comprehend. How about looking around, and maybe signing someone else to that contract? Or how about working guys out during the offseason and working someone into the spot that's under a 2 way contract? What PC did was essentially guarantee a spot to someone who has provided not much more than nothing the past few seasons. Or, he'll be in a trade. But, I've heard that for years. I'm done believing something that I've heard for years and has never, ever happened. And, I don't know how in the world him getting signed somehow re-enforces these long, lost beliefs that "oh, he's gonna get traded soon."

Why was it important to lock up Jordan Caron? That's what I'm getting at? What the **** kind of asset do people really believe he is where he is going to make a difference in any trade? Why is it that you drag on not one, but two RFA contracts, into about a week before the season starts? I am especially annoyed because I KNEW this was going to happen, and no one wanted to believe it.

He's fine as a 13th forward on this team who you can plug in the bottom 6 in case of injury. He was mainly signed because he has Claude's trust defensively. I'm not here saying Caron has the same value as Lucic or that we can get something significant for him. If we got a pick for the guy I would be happy. If Chiarelli didn't value him in some way, Caron would've been gone by now. What do they see in him that we don't? How the hell am I supposed to know? Do I agree with the decision of bringing back a plug who has done nothing in a Bruin's uniform? No, like you said there are better choices in Providence, heck, I would rather see Florek play instead of him.

Bartkowski also was going to take us to arbitration, signing him for what we signed him for isn't bad especially if someone goes down due to injury, and I would even trade both if it was my choice, but Caron and Bartkowski aren't the reasons why we haven't signed Krug and Smith yet. We shouldn't be looking at the 13th forward and a 7th defenseman in our depth chart, we should be looking at the Kelly's and Campbell's of the world. Heck, Campbell may be centering the 4th line instead of Spooner once he gets back, which is something I care more about than Caron.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He's fine as a 13th forward on this team who you can plug in the bottom 6 in case of injury. He was mainly signed because he has Claude's trust defensively. I'm not here saying Caron has the same value as Lucic or that we can get something significant for him. If we got a pick for the guy I would be happy. If Chiarelli didn't value him in some way, Caron would've been gone by now. What do they see in him that we don't? How the hell am I supposed to know? Do I agree with the decision of bringing back a plug who has done nothing in a Bruin's uniform? No, like you said there are better choices in Providence, heck, I would rather see Florek play instead of him.

Bartkowski also was going to take us to arbitration, signing him for what we signed him for isn't bad especially if someone goes down due to injury, but Caron and Bartkowski aren't the reasons why we haven't signed Krug and Smith yet. We shouldn't be looking at the 13th forward and a 7th defenseman in our depth chart, we should be looking at the Kelly's and Campbell's in the world. Heck, Campbell may be centering the 4th line instead of Spooner once he gets back, which is something I care more about than Caron.

I'm not sure Spooner is at all a fourth line center. The role fits Greg Campbell better. I actually have some hope for the fourth line. As much as I loved Shawn Thornton, last year and maybe even the year before, he effectively made that line a two person line. I am willing to see what GC looks like with ANYONE else on the fourth line.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I'm not sure Spooner is at all a fourth line center. The role fits Greg Campbell better. I actually have some hope for the fourth line. As much as I loved Shawn Thornton, last year and maybe even the year before, he effectively made that line a two person line. I am willing to see what GC looks like with ANYONE else on the fourth line.

I wouldn't mind it. Thornton did look like he lost a step out there last season. I wouldn't mind Knight or Robins on his right side. The latter is more likely though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad