Krueger's interview this morning

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
I just caught the interview this morning with Krueger, posted on the oilers app, and probably website as well.

He said a few things that I had been feeling for the last 7 years but couldn't articulate.

I felt that since our last cup run that the oilers have been over-coached and have been playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

In this morning's interview Ralph addressed both of these issues and said "it's important to not over coach these players". He also said "we need to play to win as opposed to playing not to lose."

I think the oilers had the most losses in the league last year trying to protect 1 goal leads. (This made us hate all our veteran players since they are up minutes and lost us games, but I digress)

I was so happy to hear these comments this morning.

Mods feel free to merge this if there is a Krueger post that you feel this belongs in. Thanks.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Krueger's right but the thing is we totally sucked........it's pretty realistic to coach not to lose when you know your team has a poor skill level. That way you at least give your guys a chance to win. I mean they're starting off at a disadvantage already.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
He also said "we need to play to win as opposed to playing not to lose."

When Krueger was acting as our head coach in a game against Vancouver last season, he was interviewed in the first intermission and said that his goal was for the score to be tied at that point in the game.

Anyone else remember that?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We'll see what happens, and I like the idea I have of Krueger as head coach. But in terms of quotes and verbally stated strategy its a cluster****.

Guy yesterday waxing on about if the team pays badly you give them the day off the next day and thats what you need to do.

When I hear stuff like I'm thinking steep learning curve immediately.

Krueger is an outlier. Right now everybodies saying the right things and everybody is behind him. But he's got some awfully strange ideas for this side of the pond.

Lets remember that pretty much everybody is a popular coach at the start..

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
When Krueger was acting as our head coach in a game against Vancouver last season, he was interviewed in the first intermission and said that his goal was for the score to be tied at that point in the game.

First, was that exactly what he said? Because if not that could easily be taken the wrong way.

I don't think that really matters anyways. That wasn't his team then. He was running Renny's system and coaching the way Renny was.

You don't come in for a couple of games and change everything. Now is his time as head coach and to make the decisions so now is the time you should listen to what he says, not when he was basically a place holder.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I felt that since our last cup run that the oilers have been over-coached and have been playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

In this morning's interview Ralph addressed both of these issues and said "it's important to not over coach these players". He also said "we need to play to win as opposed to playing not to lose."

Lets see, a young club that when last seen didn't have a clue how to play or commit to system hockey and Ralphs answer to this is about refraining from "overcoaching"?

lol

Hopefully this is just a smokescreen because its a ridiculous idea. The one thing a young, impressionable, and inexperienced club needs is careful practice, getting the team play down right, and getting lots of coaching and feedback.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
First, was that exactly what he said? Because if not that could easily be taken the wrong way.

I don't think that really matters anyways. That wasn't his team then. He was running Renny's system and coaching the way Renny was.

You don't come in for a couple of games and change everything. Now is his time as head coach and to make the decisions so now is the time you should listen to what he says, not when he was basically a place holder.

I can't find any quotes or video from that interview but that was the gist of what he said.

That quote also had nothing to do with Renney being the head coach so let's not try to blame it on him. Krueger can say that he wants to win the game without changing the game plan. He didn't say that though, he said he wanted to be tied.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Lets see, a young club that when last seen didn't have a clue how to play or commit to system hockey and Ralphs answer to this is about refraining from "overcoaching"?

lol

Hopefully this is just a smokescreen because its a ridiculous idea. The one thing a young, impressionable, and inexperienced club needs is careful practice, getting the team play down right, and getting lots of coaching and feedback.

I almost get the idea that he's going with a system that you see predominantly in college basketball. Which is don't overcoach them at the offensive end, and keep the system at the defensive end. Basically how teams are running in basketball are if you run the defense right and get a stop, you don't have to run a set play the next time up the court (most players prefer a free form offense). Basically you reward the players on the offensive end for their defensive work.

That's just the vibe I've been getting from his interviews. And we all know from the last two years though, he runs a very structured power play and penalty kill. They run almost nothing but set plays on the powerplay.

millpoo

Sep 26, 2006
ST. A
Just saying that the quotes sound naive. Not saying what Krueger will accomplish here and again I like the idea of him as a coach. But really this thread is about what he's "stating" and I'm a bit uneasy with whats being said.

fair?

Yeah, that's fair. He definitely thinks outside the box, but it's almost refreshing. It'll be interesting to see if his mantra has the desired affect on the players.

For all our sakes, I hope Krueger is ****ing Yoda incarnate, because for this team to make the play offs, The Force and some Jack Adams-quality coaching will certainly be required.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I almost get the idea that he's going with a system that you see predominantly in college basketball. Which is don't overcoach them at the offensive end, and keep the system at the defensive end. Basically how teams are running in basketball are if you run the defense right and get a stop, you don't have to run a set play the next time up the court (most players prefer a free form offense). Basically you reward the players on the offensive end for their defensive work.

That's just the vibe I've been getting from his interviews. And we all know from the last two years though, he runs a very structured power play and penalty kill. They run almost nothing but set plays on the powerplay.

You can't defer focusing on one end and just let the offensive players play like they care to. What we know of these young players is they overpursue, get caught deep, and give up oddman rushes. A system is concerted and involves what players do all over the ice. Buying into team D involves most of the actions you take on the ice and all over the ice. Otherwise you're caught behind the play a lot.

It doesn't matter what *system* you're playing in your own end if you're outnumbered on opposition rushes.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
You can't defer focusing on one end and just let the offensive players play like they care to. What we know of these young players is they overpursue, get caught deep, and give up oddman rushes. A system is concerted and involves what players do all over the ice. Buying into team D involves most of the actions you take on the ice and all over the ice. Otherwise you're caught behind the play a lot.

It doesn't matter what *system* you're playing in your own end if you're outnumbered on opposition rushes.

If the players are playing smart there should always be a guy covering (Eberle is really good at doing this). One thing every Oiler forward needs to be aware of is when Schultz is on the ice so they can be ready to drop back to cover him if he rushes.

I actually find there biggest issue to getting caught up ice isn't so much the fact that they overpursue, is the fact that they over pass, and don't put enough ugly shots on net. They lose the puck on a battle on the boards or with a 2nd or 3rd pass that wasn't necessary. The Oilers need to start getting pucks on net more then anything, if someone puts something in front that can be tipped or picked up on a rebound by a driving player then they are going to score more. The kids need to realize an ugly goal counts just as much as a pretty one.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
I can't find any quotes or video from that interview but that was the gist of what he said.

That quote also had nothing to do with Renney being the head coach so let's not try to blame it on him. Krueger can say that he wants to win the game without changing the game plan. He didn't say that though, he said he wanted to be tied.

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I am not blaming anything on Renny, nor am I saying Krueger will undeniably do a good job.

What I am saying is that Krueger at that time was an assistant. He was in the room with Renny and had to buy into Renny's plan just as much as any of the players. Obviously he had some input there but I'm sure he respected Renny and the way he wanted to play the team. This means he is not going to go out there and change the game plan. If the game plan was to be tied because of some reason that we at hf dont know then thats what he went out to do. He may very well want to win but that doesn't mean he would abandon how Renny had done it beforehand.

Right now he is saying that he wants to change things and try to bring in a winning attitude so why do we have to dispute that here? He has done nothing yet to show us this isn't true. Him saying that during a couple game stint means nothing.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced

lol

We have only been able to be considered a "young club" the last couple years, starting with Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle's rookie season.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
In all of this...

Obviously Krueger is just saying what people expect to hear. That we need to start moving forward. However none of this really matters until we see them in action as this is just feeding the media.

Its really all about whether or not he actually believes what he is saying and more importantly...if he does believe that (no reason to think he doesn't) that the players all buy in to his plan.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We have only been able to be considered a "young club" the last couple years, starting with Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle's rookie season.

Our topsix that is going to be getting the lionshare of toi is extremely young. The key players on this club are very young.

Its a problem if Kreuger thinks "coaching lite" is the way to go here. WE gotta be grooming these youngsters to take it to the next level.

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
In all of this...

Obviously Krueger is just saying what people expect to hear. That we need to start moving forward. However none of this really matters until we see them in action as this is just feeding the media.

Yep. Their actions will show the truth of things more than media sound bites.

And to be honest, I wonder if the whole 'playing not to lose' thing comes more from the mindset of players that play that way because they're just trying to survive without getting scored on as their opponents come at them in waves, rather than a deliberate strategy coached into them.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
We'll see what happens, and I like the idea I have of Krueger as head coach. But in terms of quotes and verbally stated strategy its a cluster****.

Guy yesterday waxing on about if the team pays badly you give them the day off the next day and thats what you need to do.

When I hear stuff like I'm thinking steep learning curve immediately.

Krueger is an outlier. Right now everybodies saying the right things and everybody is behind him. But he's got some awfully strange ideas for this side of the pond.

Lets remember that pretty much everybody is a popular coach at the start..

Well "normal" ideas didn't lead the team anywhere the last few, I'm guessing going strange wouldn't hurt:laugh:

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Yep. Their actions will show the truth of things more than media sound bites.

And to be honest, I wonder if the whole 'playing not to lose' thing comes more from the mindset of players that play that way because they're just trying to survive without getting scored on as their opponents come at them in waves, rather than a deliberate strategy coached into them.

Yep, we will see more in the games to come. Right now I am just going to enjoy the excitement around the Oilers and having hockey back in general. Can't wait to see everyone play, especially the new guys.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
There are good points in this thread, but the phrase "over coaching" has to be taken into context.

I certainly don't know what Kreuger means by over coaching, and I highly doubt any posters on this board know either.

I'd imagine for every 10 posters, 9 1/2 will have a different idea on what over coaching means. Let's just let Ralph do his thing and see what happens before ripping him to pieces.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
There are good points in this thread, but the phrase "over coaching" has to be taken into context.

I certainly don't know what Kreuger means by over coaching, and I highly doubt any posters on this board know either.

I'd imagine for every 10 posters, 9 1/2 will have a different idea on what over coaching means. Let's just let Ralph do his thing and see what happens before ripping him to pieces.

I agree. Lets not over think this.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Our topsix that is going to be getting the lionshare of toi is extremely young. The key players on this club are very young.

Its a problem if Kreuger thinks "coaching lite" is the way to go here. WE gotta be grooming these youngsters to take it to the next level.

Kreuger's work speaks for itself. I'm not going to be one of those demanding his head straight away, I trust that he knows what he's doing...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I recall it being closer to "halfway through the game, if the shots are down and the score is tied, we'll be in a good spot".

That wasn't unreasonable to me considering we were playing the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad