Confirmed with Link: Krueger fired. Don Granato named interim HC.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Joe Henderson is an underappreciated supporting tenor sax player, he's on so many great albums. Eric Dolphy is another who wasn't quite an A-list guy but one who releaseed a lot of great material, and still feels fresh today.
@Doug Prishpreed @Dex, if you want to turn RK's thread into a tribute to unique voices in jazz history, alternating weeks dropping a track and knowledge I wouldn't be mad. Ralph wouldn't either. I'll take week 3 and Ollie Nelson if in agreement.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Joe Henderson is an underappreciated supporting tenor sax player, he's on so many great albums. Eric Dolphy is another who wasn't quite an A-list guy but one who releaseed a lot of great material, and still feels fresh today.
I haven’t heard much of Dolphy’s frontman stuff, but he’s unbelievable on a couple of my favorite Mingus records. Free Jazz too.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
A momentous occasion.
giphy.gif

Reactions: truthbluth

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I haven’t heard much of Dolphy’s frontman stuff, but he’s unbelievable on a couple of my favorite Mingus records. Free Jazz too.

A lot of people know him from his association with Coleman, but his work on the Mingus albums were just as great, though a totally different style. He was a true chameleon.

Reactions: truthbluth

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I have no idea how this thread got into jazz, but let me give a shout out to "Out to Lunch!" IMO, it's Dolphy's best album (at least as a band leader). Shame he died at such a young age.

For sure, that's his high water mark imo. I hesitate to recommend it to people since It can be tough if you're just a casual jazz fan. I tend to recommend his "live at the five spot" albums often since it's high energy, and very catchy.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
For sure, that's his high water mark imo. I hesitate to recommend it to people since It can be tough if you're just a casual jazz fan. I tend to recommend his "live at the five spot" albums often since it's high energy, and very catchy.

Funnily enough, that album is the one that got me started on jazz, but I guess I've always had a bit of a taste for the eclectic. I think it's more approachable than some of the other avant-garde/free jazz that's out there. Completely agree on the 5 spot stuff, though.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Anyone else wonder what Granato was thinking while Krueger was HC? Granato is the exact opposite of Krueger in every way. He must've been been pounding his head against the wall after some of the decisions Krueger would make. Probably exhaled a huge sigh of relief once Krueger was fired. No doubt he knew the huge negative impact Krueger was having on this squad.

Reactions: jc17

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Anyone else wonder what Granato was thinking while Krueger was HC? Granato is the exact opposite of Krueger in every way. He must've been been pounding his head against the wall after some of the decisions Krueger would make. Probably exhaled a huge sigh of relief once Krueger was fired. No doubt he knew the huge negative impact Krueger was having on this squad.

I wonder how his first year where he wound up in the hospital with the lung issue impacted his relationship with the players and Ralph?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wonder how his first year where he wound up in the hospital with the lung issue impacted his relationship with the players and Ralph?
It certainly led to Ralph not being a fan of Taylor while he filled in. If the rumors are to be believed, it played a role in Taylor and his staff getting shit canned. After Botts got fired and Ralph made his power grab.

Reactions: Chainshot

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It certainly led to Ralph not being a fan of Taylor while he filled in. If the rumors are to be believed, it played a role in Taylor and his staff getting shit canned. After Botts got fired and Ralph made his power grab.
Was there any more insight into what he disliked specifically?

Frequently

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad