TSN: Krueger and Staff rejected more pay cuts

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
When you order from the Healthy Scratch they ask if they can round up your purchase to support the Pegula family lifestyle.
They told me I had to round up due to the coin shortage. If I knew, I would have rounded up to the nearest hundred. Billionaire yachts matter.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
I wouldn’t take a second pay cut either. That’s 40% of your salary. The only way that anybody would agree would be if a year from now, they get that back.

20% of 1M = 800K
25% of 800K = 600K

600K of 1M = 40% loss
your math is way off. They only took a 20% reduction from April 1 to July 13.

Reactions: brian_griffin

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
They don't trust the Pegulas. No one has lost their job because of this. The layoffs occurred when they were taking 20% less. Terry Pegula says there's no financial situation.

Exactly this. If they took the first cut trying to save others, who got fired anyways, there's no reason to think that the NEXT time things will be different.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
not seeing the issue with this. ralph & his staff are doing normal offseason procedures, getting ready for the draft, meeting the new management, researching. they aren't working any less.
pegulas making cuts on salaried individuals with a decreased work load also seems fair.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
It doesn't look good when Billionaires are shelling out hundreds of millions of dollar contracts on one team and asking the other to take multiple pay cuts. Saying that the Pegulas(no apostrophe!) are sick of paying for a losing club, doesn't take into account that Krueger hasn't been here a full season. And Adams hasn't been here but a few months. They refuse to look in the mirror at the optics of what they do as an all encompassing PSE.

At this point, I wouldn't trust either Pegula at their word. They are not the down home types they portray themselves as.

For you to compare an NHL team to an NFL team is down right laughable.

If you owned a 2020 BMW and a 2009 Toyota, would you value them the same?

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
For you to compare an NHL team to an NFL team is down right laughable.

If you owned a 2020 BMW and a 2009 Toyota, would you value them the same?

Do you really need it spelled out for you? I wasn't directly comparing them as equals. But you're downright blind if you think the optics are the same. Are you purposefully being obtuse about this?

FrenchConnection

Aug 28, 2020
As they should have and I applaud them for doing so..say no make Pegula fire you if he wants to look worse than the clown he already looks like..

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Do you really need it spelled out for you? I wasn't directly comparing them as equals. But you're downright blind if you think the optics are the same. Are you purposefully being obtuse about this?

The optics?

Like it or don't, the Pegula's have thrown a lot of money at the Sabres. Sure, they have sucked but the money just isn't close to being comparable from the NFL to the NHL.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The optics?

Like it or don't, the Pegula's have thrown a lot of money at the Sabres. Sure, they have sucked but the money just isn't close to being comparable from the NFL to the NHL.

He HAS thrown a ton of money at the Sabres.

But, let's remember, they are billionaires. A multi billionaire. Now sure, it's his team, he can do what he wants. And certainly, I think him paying people when there isn't work to do is probably a bit above and beyond.

But, in following both teams during the pandemic, there hasn't been one "wow that's generous" moment. There's been a lot of "god damn that's cold"

Look no further than Chris Taylor, who wasn't exactly raking in millions being an AHL coach, get shown the door and his insurance cut when they have a special needs kid. And I'm sure there are stories like this throughout the front office. Them showing a little compassion and be willing to lose some money on helping their employees rather razing the staff.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He HAS thrown a ton of money at the Sabres.

But, let's remember, they are billionaires. A multi billionaire. Now sure, it's his team, he can do what he wants. And certainly, I think him paying people when there isn't work to do is probably a bit above and beyond.

But, in following both teams during the pandemic, there hasn't been one "wow that's generous" moment. There's been a lot of "god damn that's cold"

Look no further than Chris Taylor, who wasn't exactly raking in millions being an AHL coach, get shown the door and his insurance cut when they have a special needs kid. And I'm sure there are stories like this throughout the front office. Them showing a little compassion and be willing to lose some money on helping their employees rather razing the staff.

I believe that Taylor’s contract was up and he wasn’t re-signed. That’s why there was the story that Botts offered him an extension but the deal was never finalized.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
it is.....but the operations staff are a fraction of the Cubs operations costs. The Ricketts are just assholes. The Cubs have been hugely profitable since they purchased the team. They can easily eat these temporary losses and make it back in 1-2 years and keep paying their staff
They took a bath on the costs to renovate Wrigley Field. I wouldn't be surprised in the Cubs are on the verge of insolvency.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
They took a bath on the costs to renovate Wrigley Field. I wouldn't be surprised in the Cubs are on the verge of insolvency.

they spent 525M total starting in 2015 and have made between 80-100M a season the last few years. They are nowhere close to insolvency

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
it is.....but the operations staff are a fraction of the Cubs operations costs. The Ricketts are just assholes. The Cubs have been hugely profitable since they purchased the team. They can easily eat these temporary losses and make it back in 1-2 years and keep paying their staff
The difference between the Pegulas and other owners is only one was stupid enough to mention lifestyle.

Reactions: GameMisconduct

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The difference between the Pegulas and other owners is only one was stupid enough to mention lifestyle.

Ricketts have a bit more good will due to the 2016 WS win.

But yes, Any billionaire sending people to the streets during a temporary crisis is an asshole.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I think it is the opposite. If they had taken pay cuts, it would be cheaper to fire them.

And as we know, the Pegulas are all about being economical...

The price of NatGas has just about doubled since it bottomed out in mid 2020, back up to where it sat for the back half of the 2010s. Uncle Terry might be firing the wells up and back to silly spending soon enough!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad