TSN: Krueger and Staff rejected more pay cuts

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Seravalli: At least 17 NHL teams have reduced pay amid COVID-19 crunch - TSN.ca

Buffalo Sabres: After a 20 per cent reduction from April 1 to July 13, Sabres coaching staff rejected a request to take a voluntary 25 per cent reduction moving forward. They're the only staff to reject another pay cut.

Other teams have made deeper cuts. The Sabres are the only staff to reject the cuts.
Please confine your discussion to staff pay cuts only. There is a separate thread for salary cap talk.

Last edited:

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I wonder how many office workers lost their jobs because the staff rejected pay cuts?

To be clear, I don't feel like they HAD to take pay cuts but when every other staff in the league did and Krueger didn't.... says a lot about the character of the man.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I wonder how many office workers lost their jobs because the staff rejected pay cuts?

To be clear, I don't feel like they HAD to take pay cuts but when every other staff in the league did and Krueger didn't.... says a lot about the character of the man.
They don't trust the Pegulas. No one has lost their job because of this. The layoffs occurred when they were taking 20% less. Terry Pegula says there's no financial situation.

Reactions: SackTastic

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
It doesn't look good when Billionaires are shelling out hundreds of millions of dollar contracts on one team and asking the other to take multiple pay cuts. Saying that the Pegulas(no apostrophe!) are sick of paying for a losing club, doesn't take into account that Krueger hasn't been here a full season. And Adams hasn't been here but a few months. They refuse to look in the mirror at the optics of what they do as an all encompassing PSE.

At this point, I wouldn't trust either Pegula at their word. They are not the down home types they portray themselves as.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+

To be fair to the character of the man, it says they already took a 20% pay cut from April til July, now the billionaire owners are asking the workers to make more sacrifices. Pitting worker against contracted worker is silly when the owners should have skipped a couple of lattes, maybe shaved a deck off the next superyacht, and saved for when times were lean.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Wish Pegula would buy Rangers (The Sevco ones, not the NY ones) so I could enjoy seeing them go bust again.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They had already taken a 20% cut, so it's not really true that they're the only team whose coaches didn't agree to pay cuts. They just took them earlier. If they agreed to another 25%, they'd be in the same place as the Ottawa coaching staff (50%) where they had to ask the NHL to step in. Pegulas are closer to Melnyk in this situation than this article indicates.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Whoa now. Pegula's laying people off is not to due to people taking their contractually guaranteed salaries. It's due to the Pegula's making business decisions.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

“Almost universally, NHL coaches – high up on the front office food chain – accepted the reductions without complaint because doing so meant that layoffs would not be necessary for other hockey operations positions, including scouts and analysts.

But the Sabres were already operating with a lean staff after 22 people were fired by the club in a June 16 bloodletting that began with GM Jason Botterill. Teams had leverage with ‘force majeure’ clauses in contracts, but those were not applicable once training camps began again and league play as a whole was no longer suspended.”

He already took a 20% pay cut and refused a second. I don’t blame him. Other coaches did it to save scouts and other staff. But that’s not the case here. The Sabres had already fired 1/2 of their staff and are now asking Krueger to take on a larger role in order to fill the void from all the firings, + working with a totally inexperienced rookie GM. Sounds like Adams plans to lean on Krueger a lot (from what he’s said in interviews).

Reactions: Wisent42

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Maybe it's good that Adams will have to rely on Kruger more -- he's the only person with any experience managing a large sports organization to be involved with the Sabres since Darcy was fired in 2013.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013

you judge a mans character for not wanting to have his salary cut? That is laughable

he has every legal right to object after already seeing a pay decrease

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
you judge a mans character for not wanting to have his salary cut? That is laughable

he has every legal right to object after already seeing a pay decrease

Exactly.

The first pay cut was a nice gesture, but not required obviously. Asking for a second one is fairly insulting.

During good times, when people under contract want a bigger slice of the pie they helped create, people say "Oh, you have a contract! Sorry!"

During bad times, it's garbage for the owners to keep asking the contracted employees take a haircut to save the non-contracted employees. Contracts work both ways.

It's the way business is taught these days though; owners think they should never assume any risk, but are entitled to all the rewards.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Exactly.

The first pay cut was a nice gesture, but not required obviously. Asking for a second one is fairly insulting.

During good times, when people under contract want a bigger slice of the pie they helped create, people say "Oh, you have a contract! Sorry!"

During bad times, it's garbage for the owners to keep asking the contracted employees take a haircut to save the non-contracted employees. Contracts work both ways.

It's the way business is taught these days though; owners think they should never assume any risk, but are entitled to all the rewards.
Many are on the brink of insolvency as it is, and sustain themselves through heavy borrowing. So many will blow up over the next 12-24 months, and I think it's reasonable to conclude the Pegulas will be on that list. Their empire is imploding fast.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
One league makes every team a guaranteed profit from its TV contract. The others revenues per team is lower then 7 other league/sports [nfl, nba, mlb, nascar, epl, la liga, and Bundesliga )

Yeah, it's stupid to attack the Pegulas from that vantage point. There's a bunch of other reasons to call them out, but they are savvy enough to know that the Bills are abundantly more valuable than the Sabres. Comparing the two is apples to oranges. Hockey is a niche sport, football is the national pastime.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Exactly.

Oh my. This is some good stuff right here.

Owners assume the majority of risks in a business.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the owners asking their higher ups to take a pay cut ...once or twice. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with the employees declining to take a pay cut the first or second time.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Franchise owners in particular are notoriously avoidant of the risks they ostensibly take on

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I assume Ralph makes a good chunk but beyond that how much savings would even be made from the rest of the staff taking a reduction? Seems like a negligible amount in the grand scheme of billionaires running two major sports franchises.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad