Injury Report: Kronwall's knee

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
i'm not thinking which is the worst, i'm thinking which is most likely.

Then why cite what the team's cap hit would be?

Why in the world would you think he would play an 82 game season for a million dollars? With a bad knee? The only real coin-flip here is if he comes back next year, where he's at least making a reasonable (if much reduced) amount of money. I can see him possibly coming back then, but likely ending up on LTIR before too long.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think the condition of his knees will be really bad (through Red Wings media) at next summer, before the expansion draft.

After that, he'll be just fine. :nod:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Then why cite what the team's cap hit would be?

Why in the world would you think he would play an 82 game season for a million dollars? With a bad knee? The only real coin-flip here is if he comes back next year, where he's at least making a reasonable (if much reduced) amount of money. I can see him possibly coming back then, but likely ending up on LTIR before too long.

perhaps he likes to play the hockey, something he's done since he was a kid. knee might limit his performance but it may not hurt (maybe, hard to say without looking the MRI). wings might value kronwall in the last year of his deal, on and off-the ice, to be more than 1.75 and thus convince him to play that final year if he's leaning on retirement.

it's very much possible that he won't play that final year but i think the odds of him playing that year are more than 1% and next year more than 60%.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Actually another good reason to aggressively pursue a guy like Fowler.

If Kronwall breaks down... Our LD depth after Dekeyser is what...?

Would be a huge issue, IMO

Was thinking the same thing. And have you seen the UFA defense options for next year? Its basically Burns, Shattenkirk, Stone, and MDZ. There's a good chance none of them hit the market. Realistically only Stone does. Everyone else is a spare part or a fraction of a shadow of themselves. A trade needs to be made.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was thinking the same thing. And have you seen the UFA defense options for next year? Its basically Burns, Shattenkirk, Stone, and MDZ. There's a good chance none of them hit the market. Realistically only Stone does. Everyone else is a spare part or a fraction of a shadow of themselves. A trade needs to be made.

Does Del Zotto have a long term future with the Flyers? I know they have a lot of young promising defenseman. That could be a nice low key move.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-...onwall-on-swedish-world-cup-of-hockey-roster/

Kronwall out from the World Cup, Hampus Lindholm replaces him.

I see this as great news. Actually, Kronner is healthy, but rehab still going on. And he said his knee is better right now, than it was at same point at last summer.

Hell yeah! Team sweden just got better and kronwall get's to rest and have a proper off season.

It's abit worrying i suppose, i mean this is a clear indication that he is still struggeling with his knee which does not bode well for the upcoming season.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Kronwall gets more time to rehab and Sweden gets a better D, it's a win-win situation! :handclap:

And it might make Holland think that without Kronwall, this D is very thin, thus making the need for a move on D that much more quickly.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
pretty ridiculous that he originally even was there over hampus lindholm.

Kronwall has one season (his rookie year) worse than Lindholm's best year.

Admittedly Kronwall has developed some mobility issues but he still managed to score 2 less points in 16 less games last year.

In a vacuum, like world cup, Kronwall is far from an unreasonable choice.

Hell, I'm starting to think Kronwall is a little underrated on this board. The guy pretty much scored at a 40 minute pace with a ****ed knee and a weak-ass powerplay.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Kronwall has one season (his rookie year) worse than Lindholm's best year.

Admittedly Kronwall has developed some mobility issues but he still managed to score 2 less points in 16 less games last year.

In a vacuum, like world cup, Kronwall is far from an unreasonable choice.

I'm starting to think Kronwall is a little underrated on this board. The guy pretty much scored at a 40 minute pace with a ****ed knee and a weak-ass powerplay.

that's if we assume that scoring points determines how good season defenseman had.

i think kronwall was slightly at fault for the bad powerplay.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kronwall was not going to point PP on Swedish team. They have some better options... just guess who. He was there to be at secondary shut-down pair behind Hedman.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
that's if we assume that scoring points determines how good season defenseman had.

i think kronwall was slightly at fault for the bad powerplay.

My point is Lindholm's demonstrated ceiling hasn't even touched the floor of Kronwall's offensive production... as an old man... with a broken knee. So while scoring points isn't the be all and end all, the difference in offensive skill is very clear.

Also, many pundits had Detroit with the worst defense of any playoff team. How much better would he look with a legit supporting cast?

With superior offensive skill and support from burners like Klingberg, Karlsson, OEL etc. I think he would have been solid. Probably even their top LH PP guy. For example, he has looked good in brief stints with our most mobile Dman (Smith).

Look, I'm not trying to argue that he is a bonafide number 1 on any NHL team but he has a very high skill set. He is a legit pp guy and comfortable number 3. If his training can extract even a little more mobility, he will be suitable as a short term 1st pairing guy.

Either way, for Detroit's sake, Skipping the World Cup is probably best.

Kronwall was not going to point PP on Swedish team. They have some better options... just guess who. He was there to be at secondary shut-down pair behind Hedman.

I kind of alluded to this above, but all their top guys are RHed. Its irrelevant now, but I suspect Kronwall would have got his pp time.

Tongue-in-cheek: The"Swedish House Mafia" would have made sure Kronwall got his minutes. According to some, the only reason Ericsson wasn't scratched was because of Zetterberg's pull.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
My point is Lindholm's demonstrated ceiling hasn't even touched the floor of Kronwall's offensive production... as an old man... with a broken knee. So while scoring points isn't the be all and end all, the difference in offensive skill is very clear.

Also, many pundits had Detroit with the worst defense of any playoff team. How much better would he look with a legit supporting cast?

With superior offensive skill and support from burners like Klingberg, Karlsson, OEL etc. I think he would have been solid. Probably even their top LH PP guy. For example, he has looked good in brief stints with our most mobile Dman (Smith).

Look, I'm not trying to argue that he is a bonafide number 1 on any NHL team but he has a very high skill set. He is a legit pp guy and comfortable number 3. If his training can extract even a little more mobility, he will be suitable as a short term 1st pairing guy.

Either way, for Detroit's sake, Skipping the World Cup is probably best.

I kind of alluded to this above, but all their top guys are RHed. Its irrelevant now, but I suspect Kronwall would have got his pp time.

Tongue-in-cheek: The"Swedish House Mafia" would have made sure Kronwall got his minutes. According to some, the only reason Ericsson wasn't scratched was because of Zetterberg's pull.

Klingberg isn't even on the team Behind Karlsson Strålman is the only RHD OEL, Hedman, Karlsson and a forward maybe Strålman would've gotten to man the point on the PP Kronwall wouldn't have seen much ice time at all let alone on the PP.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Klingberg isn't even on the team Behind Karlsson Strålman is the only RHD OEL, Hedman, Karlsson and a forward maybe Strålman would've gotten to man the point on the PP Kronwall wouldn't have seen much ice time at all let alone on the PP.

My mistake. Either way, It's all pretty irreverent and his theoretical usage does little to change my opinion that Kronwall gets underrated around here.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Kronwall's not bad, he's just old/injured and prone to being run into the ground by bad lineup management. If he were getting minutes appropriate to his health and age, he'd be fine. Unfortunately, even a 50% Kronwall is still better all-around than 3 out of the other 5 defensemen, and better on half the ice than the other 2.

I'm glad he's skipping the World Cup, if it means he's more likely to be healthy and ready to play at the start of the season.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Looks like Jurco is missing the start of the season, too, with back surgery. I've never seen a young player with so many back problems already.

Saarijarvi out with wrist surgery.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty bummed out about the Saarijarvi news. Great situation for him, was looking to play on the top pair with Hague.

Added bonus of those of you that can watch Steelheads games, Hague is projected as a 1st rounder next year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So, Kronwall isn't healthy enough and/or he doesn't have enough faith in not getting hurt in this tourny to take part...and this is good news. He's going to play twenty games this year, his knee's going to go all to hell, and he's going to limp through another fifty games a shadow of his former self while trying to carry gimped up Ericsson on his back.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
So, Kronwall isn't healthy enough and/or he doesn't have enough faith in not getting hurt in this tourny to take part...and this is good news. He's going to play twenty games this year, his knee's going to go all to hell, and he's going to limp through another fifty games a shadow of his former self while trying to carry gimped up Ericsson on his back.

Silver linings to the presented scenario: If Kronwall can't go (or bounces back and forth on IR), that's more time for Ouellet (who would at least be bottom pair, instead of press box), and it might get Green onto the 1st PP unit. And, honestly, it probably pushes Kronwall closer to retirement, rather than trying to force another year out of a broken body.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Silver linings to the presented scenario: If Kronwall can't go (or bounces back and forth on IR), that's more time for Ouellet (who would at least be bottom pair, instead of press box), and it might get Green onto the 1st PP unit. And, honestly, it probably pushes Kronwall closer to retirement, rather than trying to force another year out of a broken body.

Rather see Sproul at this point, personally.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

worst part is we get to watch that happen for at least 3 more years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad