Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen [Update: Signed ELC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Jokerit are lurking around to sign Vesalainen to the KHL, according to mtv.

When mtv asked about it from Janne Vuorinen, he responded; "I'm not going to comment on that,
his KHL rights is owned by SKA",

Vuorinen continues however; "In generally speaking, KHL team that owns rights can decide
what to do with those rights and weather are they in for trading those rights or want money,
those rights have value, the same way as in the NHL would"

"We have a good situation here, lots of returning players from last season and few new comers
who definitely will help us as a team. KHL allows 25 one-way contracts and we are not there yet,
we have room for new players, though... we are happy with our current situation.
Who knows what the future will bring, only time will tell"

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Which means the expansion avoidance plays no part in him not being signed.
A player is not expansion draft eligible until after two professional seasons (played under NHL SPC). The Seattle XD will take place in June 2020, so technically in season 2019-20 as June 30th is the final day of a season. If a player doesn't have one season under his belt by now, he won't be eligible for a Seattle claim.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I'd love to see Vesa with those two vets on the 3rd. He has the skills and physical package that Little and Perreault can only dream of but he still needs to learn the habits of what it takes to be a successful NHLer. To me, that scenario would be setting him up for long-term success.

baronvonadam

Feb 15, 2014
all these bonuses are pretty standard to where you were drafted. how do you know he is staying in finland. I will just assume you are kidding though.

I think they usually are, but if I remember correctly, Nashville gave Tolvanen max bonuses when he signed before the playoffs. Maybe KV wants the same?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think it's a smart look to go with Wheeler with Roslovic, Roslo developing into #2C would be massive for Jets longterm and would give already 3 high end scoring lines for next year, with the 4th being a quality energy line.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
It is certainly odd. Good news is he seems to have no contract anywhere for next year. KHL training camps are starting up right away so it seems unlikely he will jump to Jokerit or another KHL team. Liiga training camps will be starting up in a few weeks so that window is closing too. It still seems most likely he jumps to NA this year, but it certainly is odd he hasn't signed an ELC yet. Wonder if there's a nagging injury or something holding it up?
technically Vesa can still play in Liiga, its a common thing that players unsigned are making training camp.

Reactions: Ippenator

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him wanting assurances of getting a slot in the NHL roster rather than AHL. Considering the depth that's a lot asked however. He's openly stated that he wants to play in the NHL next year so I can't think of much other reasons why he wouldn't have signed already. Due to the expansion I'd suppose for the Jets it would be better if he spent next year elsewhere (so they wouldn't have to protect him)?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him wanting assurances of getting a slot in the NHL roster rather than AHL. Considering the depth that's a lot asked however. He's openly stated that he wants to play in the NHL next year so I can't think of much other reasons why he wouldn't have signed already. Due to the expansion I'd suppose for the Jets it would be better if he spent next year elsewhere (so they wouldn't have to protect him)?
It's either that, or there is a disconnect with regards to performance bonuses.

I suspect it's the latter. Tolvanen getting maximum bonuses might have thrown a wrench in the plans of teams trying to lock up a top prospect now.

Reactions: Whileee and Ares

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I suspect it's the latter. Tolvanen getting maximum bonuses might have thrown a wrench in the plans of teams trying to lock up a top prospect now.
I agree. The Jets have a razor thin margin on their cap situation and would have a real struggle fitting a bunch of bonus money to KV under the cap.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

KAAAAAAAAAAHN1.gif

POOOOOOIIIIIILE!!!!!

Reactions: Trilliann

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Agreed. That's a very likely reason. It makes sense because Vesalainen's camp probably feels like they've outperformed their draft position(rightfully), and as Tolvanen set the precedent, he surely wants a significant ELC performance bonus.

Reactions: Maukkis

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For once it's Poile setting the market too high for anything.

Tolvanen was a tough case, broke KHL record and had a good showing at the Olympics at 18y, arrived with good amount of hype to NHL.

I hope Vesalainen contract gets figured out soon.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

I recall him stating he wants to play in North America multiple times. I think it was decided before last season. Before the season, in an fantasy Liiga ad he said "viel tää kausi hämees", which roughly translates to "one more season in HPK". Never got the impression it's NHL or nothing.

I think this is it. Cap is tough right now so Chevy is trying his hardest to save some cash.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I recall him stating he wants to play in North America multiple times. I think it was decided before last season. Before the season, in an fantasy Liiga ad he said "viel tää kausi hämees", which roughly translates to "one more season in HPK". Never got the impression it's NHL or nothing.

I think this is it. Cap is tough right now so Chevy is trying his hardest to save some cash.
Jokerit is not in Häme. I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if he would after all play one season for Jokerit. He doesn’t strike me as the modest and humble type that will be fine with going to the AHL rather than going to play in a European top league and maybe even get a chance to play for team Finland at the end of the season.

He is definitely not the humble type like Armia or Niku. And anyway not a lot of real quality Finnish players have come through the AHL route. Usually it’s just plain simple - make it to the A-team from the start or bust or be a fringe NHL’er for the rest of your (more likely short) NHL career. Mikko Rantanen is an extremely rare example of the AHL really working for the development of a Finn. Vesalainen could really be even thinking of these kind of things at the moment too.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Interesting point you make there, Ippenator. Not many European prospects come to North America to develop. It's works well for them in Europe. With Jokerit he'd be guaranteed big minutes, PP time, more time to practice with less busy schedule. Player friendly environment. He'd get to be at home and likely be paid a lot more than if he were to play in the A.

Didn't Tolvanen's contract had a special clause that he couldn't be send to AHL? He could return to Europe instead if he couldn't make the Preds. Maybe Vesalainen's agent is looking for a similar arrangement with HPK or Jokerit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad