Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell Signed for 4 years @ 4M per

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I like the signing and am fine with his term. I'm a fan after seeing him 1 season. He brought a lot of needed experience and composure to the D Corps IMO. Seemed to settle **** down. I think he's may be a good team guy as well. The way I see it, he has a 2 year cushion to keep his place on the team in lieu of the younger up and comers and if he goes all in for 2, we may get a lot more out of him in the following 2 as well. If not, he loses his spot, just as the conditions of the contract reflect.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Well which option is preferred:

Russell plus a 1st and two 2nd round draft picks

or

Hamonic

Russell and the 3 good draft picks over Hamonic for sure. Hamonic is probably the most overrated D man on HF and I'm glad the Oilers didn't overpay to get him. He has been mediocre at best the last 2 seasons for the Isles (who aren't even a good team) and turns 27 by the start of the season so he isn't a young guy anymore. Russell has been the better D man the past 3 years and it should remain that way going into the future tbh.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Russell and the 3 good draft picks over Hamonic for sure. Hamonic is probably the most overrated D man on HF and I'm glad the Oilers didn't overpay to get him. He has been mediocre at best the last 2 seasons for the Isles (who aren't even a good team) and turns 27 by the start of the season so he isn't a young guy anymore. Russell has been the better D man the past 3 years and it should remain that way going into the future tbh.
I agree i wanted Hamonic early last year but after watching him throughout the year im totally fine with Russell.he seems to be a good team mate and the coach and management really like him so hey if there happy so am i. Ill also admit when he played for the lames i really liked the way he played

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm still not a fan of this deal. I like Russell, but a NMC?

There is a chance that he will be on the bottom pair by the end of it. I say this because Benning and Nurse are darn good young Dmen with potential to grow, and Sekera is just outright better than Russell.

I see he becomes tradeable in year 3 and 4. With Talbot's extension on the horizon I hope this doesn't become a deal we wish wasn't there.

But it is very good we have Russell now. I was really hoping for a 1-2 year deal, even at an overpay.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

There is a chance that he will be on the bottom pair by the end of it. I say this because Benning and Nurse are darn good young Dmen with potential to grow, and Sekera is just outright better than Russell.

I see he becomes tradeable in year 3 and 4. With Talbot's extension on the horizon I hope this doesn't become a deal we wish wasn't there.

But it is very good we have Russell now. I was really hoping for a 1-2 year deal, even at an overpay.

I think to a degree that Chia rewarded him for taking a chance on us on a 1 year deal last season. It should give guys like Jokinen the idea that if they fit in well enough they may have found a home here.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
This type of framing always seems way to pro Oiler. You could have played Hall on the 2nd line, put Lucic on the third line. You would have had a wealth of talent in the top 9. People act like the 3rd line is some death zone you cant play skill guys. We could have rolled a great top 9 with RNH centering Lucic, LD + Hall and McDavid + Maroon

People can argue Hall for Larsson all they want. But dont include Lucic as a way to try and tip the tables. He should not factor into any decisions (FTR Im not saying im pro or anti Hall trade, just framing the trade correctly). Likewise, dont include Russell in the above comparison because we could have traded for Hamonic AND signed Russell, so using that logic the comparison could be:

1st, 2 2nds

or

Hamonic + Russell

Doesnt work like that. We can discuss the 4mil deal to Russell but no use in trying to justify it further using Hamonic

Of course the Oilers were in on getting Hamonic using Eberle as the bait and clearly they would not have resigned Russell had the deal gone through. Their interest is the leagues worst kept secret but there was no way Chia was sending any more picks NYIs way. So they were weighing the cost of assets needed to acquire Hamonic with the opportunity to sign Russell for free. What is so complicated about that? The exact same calculus happened last summer when they traded Hall and signed Lucic for only dollars. They thought Lucic would pretty much replace HAll's offense and bring a lot of other stuff to the table (toughness, leadership, playoff experience) and fixed a glaring hole. Pretending that GMs don't weigh the cost of getting assets through trade versus signing free agents doesn't make it not real. There were a limited number of options available this summer in terms of trade interest for Eberle and available RHD UFA. After Shatts the UFA pool was awfully thin. So the choice was probably Russell and the picks or Hamonic . I'm actually happy we stayed away because NYI seems to be pretty aggressive in getting rid of dmen with issues before they bleed too much value. I like Hamonic but his last two seasons (and particularly last season) were not good. If that's a new normal then CGY got fleeced just like we did with GR. That said I wish the term was only 3 years, but Russell is only 30 and the way they structured the contract makes it pretty easy to get rid of year 4 if they want to.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Of course the Oilers were in on getting Hamonic using Eberle as the bait and clearly they would not have resigned Russell had the deal gone through. Their interest is the leagues worst kept secret but there was no way Chia was sending any more picks NYIs way. So they were weighing the cost of assets needed to acquire Hamonic with the opportunity to sign Russell for free. What is so complicated about that? The exact same calculus happened last summer when they traded Hall and signed Lucic for only dollars. They thought Lucic would pretty much replace HAll's offense and bring a lot of other stuff to the table (toughness, leadership, playoff experience) and fixed a glaring hole. Pretending that GMs don't weigh the cost of getting assets through trade versus signing free agents doesn't make it not real. There were a limited number of options available this summer in terms of trade interest for Eberle and available RHD UFA. After Shatts the UFA pool was awfully thin. So the choice was probably Russell and the picks or Hamonic . I'm actually happy we stayed away because NYI seems to be pretty aggressive in getting rid of dmen with issues before they bleed too much value. I like Hamonic but his last two seasons (and particularly last season) were not good. If that's a new normal then CGY got fleeced just like we did with GR. That said I wish the term was only 3 years, but Russell is only 30 and the way they structured the contract makes it pretty easy to get rid of year 4 if they want to.

If only the bolded was even remotely close to being true. Then it would be a lot easier to accept.
Hamonic is a sold NHL dman...GR isnt and may never be. These 2 things are not equivalent. Not even close.

Fleeced is exactly what happened to Chiarelli when he traded for GR.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
If only the bolded was even remotely close to being true. Then it would be a lot easier to accept.
Hamonic is a sold NHL dman...GR isnt and may never be. These 2 things are not equivalent. Not even close.

I agree that they shouldn't be included in the same conversation, but Hamonic needs to have a decent bounce back year to be worth what the Flames traded for him. I would have been fine if we made that trade and got Hamonic for what the Flames did, but I'm also happy that we have the assets that come with draft picks: cheap, young, potentially good players. We will need plenty of these types of players going forward.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Harmonic had a very bad year from everything I have heard and seen.

If its a one off, Calgary is sitting pretty. If it is not, Calgary got hosed and is in serious trouble.

For the record I do think Harmonic will bounce back but I certainly would be very concerned about his play last year if I were a Flames fan.

Also GR was easily our best/most NHL ready defensive prospect last year. Still young for a defenseman. Solid draft pedigree. While it's certainly possible he won't end up a solid NHLer period I think its likely he at least becomes a solid #4. Which Harmonic was not last year by the looks.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I have some new thoughts on the re-signing.

As some of you may know, I am not a big fan of Kris Russell as a player. My biggest issues concern:
* how early he gives up the blue line because he's not fast;
* his difficulties defending against large players like Getzlaf; and
* his propensity for throwing the puck off the glass instead of making a measured pass.

I understand why McLellan chose to pair Russell with Sekera this past season. Russell and Sekera are veteran players who do not lose their composure while defending, which means that they can be trusted with hard minutes in tight games. However, my major issue with the pairing (ignoring a LHD on the right side) is that Sekera's strengths do not make up for Russell's weaknesses. Sekera has trouble with larger players as well, which means that they have problems with big lines like the Ritchie-Getzlaf-Perry line.

For this upcoming season, I would like to see Nurse and Russell paired together. Nurse has much to learn about how to defend a cycle in his own zone without losing his positioning, which is Russell's exact strength.

By the same token, Nurse is a fantastic athlete who can carry the puck out of his own zone like a gazelle. I think their skill sets offset each other's weaknesses best on the club.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I have some new thoughts on the re-signing.

As some of you may know, I am not a big fan of Kris Russell as a player. My biggest issues concern:
* how early he gives up the blue line because he's not fast;
* his difficulties defending against large players like Getzlaf; and
* his propensity for throwing the puck off the glass instead of making a measured pass.

I understand why McLellan chose to pair Russell with Sekera this past season. Russell and Sekera are veteran players who do not lose their composure while defending, which means that they can be trusted with hard minutes in tight games. However, my major issue with the pairing (ignoring a LHD on the right side) is that Sekera's strengths do not make up for Russell's weaknesses. Sekera has trouble with larger players as well, which means that they have problems with big lines like the Ritchie-Getzlaf-Perry line.

For this upcoming season, I would like to see Nurse and Russell paired together. Nurse has much to learn about how to defend a cycle in his own zone without losing his positioning, which is Russell's exact strength.

By the same token, Nurse is a fantastic athlete who can carry the puck out of his own zone like a gazelle. I think their skill sets offset each other's weaknesses best on the club.

This is a fair assessment and in any case, we are going to have limited options with Sekera out. I'd have no trouble with Nurse learning some positioning and a "safe" game from Russel. And I agree they would complement each other... Nurse would also get to be the more offensive side of the pairing whereas with Benning they both wanted to carry the puck.

By the way... it's always nicer to have a guy who can make that breakout pass every time, but I'm a guy (goalie) who appreciates a good "glass and out" when the situation calls for it :help::yo: is much better than :eek::hockey::banghead:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree that they shouldn't be included in the same conversation, but Hamonic needs to have a decent bounce back year to be worth what the Flames traded for him. I would have been fine if we made that trade and got Hamonic for what the Flames did, but I'm also happy that we have the assets that come with draft picks: cheap, young, potentially good players. We will need plenty of these types of players going forward.

I agree completely...Hamonic does need to have a bounce back year. That however is a far cry from a player (GR) that has NEVER established himself as an NHL dman.

I think you would agree with that.

Harmonic had a very bad year from everything I have heard and seen.

If its a one off, Calgary is sitting pretty. If it is not, Calgary got hosed and is in serious trouble.

For the record I do think Harmonic will bounce back but I certainly would be very concerned about his play last year if I were a Flames fan.

Also GR was easily our best/most NHL ready defensive prospect last year. Still young for a defenseman. Solid draft pedigree. While it's certainly possible he won't end up a solid NHLer period I think its likely he at least becomes a solid #4. Which Harmonic was not last year by the looks.

Players have off years all the time...rarely is it fatal. I would be much rather have Hamonic on this defence with his value contract than I would Reinhart.

Thats an absolute no brainer. Hamonic makes this defence better...GR doesnt.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site

All true but there is risk with Hamonic as he was truly awful last year with the worst GF% and GA/60 on the team. All the usual caveats regarding PDO, teammates, competition etc etc but the results are awful no matter how you slice it. For a defenseman to leak goals at that rate is not good.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ters&minutes=500&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

I like the player but there is risk involved, one I would have been happy to bear if Ebs went the other way, not so much for the picks involved which we really need. Snow is developing a reputation for collecting good dmen and only giving up the weakest of the flock. Hamonic was shipped out in spite of that sweet contract which raises questions.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
All true but there is risk with Hamonic as he was truly awful last year with the worst GF% and GA/60 on the team. All the usual caveats regarding PDO, teammates, competition etc etc but the results are awful no matter how you slice it. For a defenseman to leak goals at that rate is not good.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ters&minutes=500&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

I like the player but there is risk involved, one I would have been happy to bear if Ebs went the other way, not so much for the picks involved which we really need. Snow is developing a reputation for collecting good dmen and only giving up the weakest of the flock. Hamonic was shipped out in spite of that sweet contract which raises questions.

IMHO the only thing indicative is that Hamonic only publicly rescinded that trade request..not internally

He wanted to go to a western team to be close to a sick family member by best guesses. He stayed an extra year to help the team.
Overwhelming sources report Snow turned down a great offer from Colorado this year that included Duchene. Then Hamonic gets traded to Calgary, a destination of choice, and publicly calls Snow a loyal person

Again. IMO last years stats for Hamonic were an outlier of this.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IMHO the only thing indicative is that Hamonic only publicly rescinded that trade request..not internally

He wanted to go to a western team to be close to a sick family member by best guesses. He stayed an extra year to help the team.
Overwhelming sources report Snow turned down a great offer from Colorado this year that included Duchene. Then Hamonic gets traded to Calgary, a destination of choice, and publicly calls Snow a loyal person

I agree.

In terms of player stats that should be of concern...I would suggest that Strome is right at the top of the list.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I have literally heard none of this. At all. And while I am no NYI team insider or anything what I have heard does not jive with the statements above.

I heard Harmonic legitimately rescinded his trade request because "the sick family member" got better. If there is even a sick family member which has never been substantiated. Somehow I think if there was a sick family member and Snow didn't try to trade Harmonic, who two years ago could have fetched far more, Snow would have been blasted by everyone. I couldn't even imagine my boss telling me no if a family member was sick. Even McDavid would get traded in that situation.

I heard there were no great offers from Colorado. I heard Sakic snubbed everyone and negotiations on all fronts broke down. The best offer I heard Sakic received was Ryan Murray. No mention of Harmonic that I am aware of.

The vast majority of your post seems far fetched and I typically don't ask for sources but I think your statement is far enough out there it needs a couple.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I have literally heard none of this. At all. And while I am no NYI team insider or anything what I have heard does not jive with the statements above.

I heard Harmonic legitimately rescinded his trade request because "the sick family member" got better. If there is even a sick family member which has never been substantiated. Somehow I think if there was a sick family member and Snow didn't try to trade Harmonic, who two years ago could have fetched far more, Snow would have been blasted by everyone. I couldn't even imagine my boss telling me no if a family member was sick. Even McDavid would get traded in that situation.

I heard there were no great offers from Colorado. I heard Sakic snubbed everyone and negotiations on all fronts broke down. The best offer I heard Sakic received was Ryan Murray. No mention of Harmonic that I am aware of.

The vast majority of your post seems far fetched and I typically don't ask for sources but I think your statement is far enough out there it needs a couple.

“First of all, I think that Garth Snow preferred that Hamonic go West. I think if all things were equal – Hamonic was a good Islander for a long time, a very popular player – I think if all things were equal Garth was going to try to send him to Western Canada, closer to home. I do think that was a factor." Eliotte Friedman

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey

Hamonic: "Garth is probably one of the most loyal, if not the most loyal, people I've met in my lifetime so far." #Isles #Flames 960

I don't know about you but I've watched a ton of hockey and I can never recall a player who gets traded out of thin air(he rescinded his trade request remember;)),
then thanks his GM and calls him "loyal". Last year he was on air saying he loves NYI and wants to be an Islander now he is thanking his GM for a trade and calling him one of the most loyal people. Is Hamonic crazy or something? That's some pretty eratic behavior?

Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall thanked the Oilers and all but weren't spouting off their love for Chiarelli. Ryan Strome wasn't publicly sending his love to Snow

Farfetched? Ya not so much. Pretty evident actually

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
After the trade happened John Shannon from Sportsnet said Hamonic's mother isn't doing too well.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
“First of all, I think that Garth Snow preferred that Hamonic go West. I think if all things were equal – Hamonic was a good Islander for a long time, a very popular player – I think if all things were equal Garth was going to try to send him to Western Canada, closer to home. I do think that was a factor." Eliotte Friedman

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey

Hamonic: "Garth is probably one of the most loyal, if not the most loyal, people I've met in my lifetime so far." #Isles #Flames 960

I don't know about you but I've watched a ton of hockey and I can never recall a player who gets traded out of thin air(he rescinded his trade request remember;)),
then thanks his GM and calls him "loyal". Last year he was on air saying he loves NYI and wants to be an Islander now he is thanking his GM for a trade and calling him one of the most loyal people. Is Hamonic crazy or something? That's some pretty eratic behavior?

Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall thanked the Oilers and all but weren't spouting off their love for Chiarelli. Ryan Strome wasn't publicly sending his love to Snow

Farfetched? Ya not so much. Pretty evident actually

You pretty much prove my point why I think its far fetched.

Not sure if I would be thanking the guy that made me wait a full year plus to be able regularly visit my sick mother. Think I would be pretty pissed. If you are right Harmonic is a far nicer person than I can imagine.

If this is all correct as well I imagine Chiarelli must have gone out of his way to avoid trading for Harmonic. Chiarelli is typically very good at identifying defenseman. Wonder why he avoided him.

If I missed those reports I missed them. Still fricken weird.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
There is no R in Hamonic. Gotta be the most misspelled player name ever. It's not Harmonic this isn't music class. It's Travis Hamonic.

HAM-ON-IC

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Not impressed by Nurse tgh.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
We need to develop our pipeline with #97 and #29 pulling in so much cap. Dealing a 1st and 2-2nd's would've been a tough pill to swallow unless we kept on adding Caggiula and Benning level guys as NCAA FA's.

Foo would have been nice came close to getting him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad