Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell Signed for 4 years @ 4M per

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I'm really not a fan of Russell, but I actually don't mind it. I'd prefer a right-handed defenseman with some ability to move the puck, but having Russell back isn't the end of the world.

Russell is good at what he does. He'll spend lots of time in his own zone and have next to no controlled zone exits, but he limits shots to low danger chances and almost always has a high ONSV% and low goals against because of it.

Players that play with him will almost surely have their offense take a hit, but somewhat make up for it with a bump in defensive results.

And I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a war about advanced stats. They show both the strengths and weaknesses above.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
tumblr_n8dlnnBsPv1tau3pmo1_500.gif

Just... not smart.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
200.webp

Bad defenseman, worse contract. Wish they never signed him at all last year.

Feb 9, 2013
Did he get signed?

If so, what are the details?

If not, why all the drama over something that has yet to happen - with specifics that are yet to be determined?

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
Excellent news!!!
Maybe one year too long but whatever. He makes our team better and Sekera and him compliment each other very well.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
And van Riemsdyk only cost a 2nd...

Everytime Russell ices the puck or fails to make an outlet pass... DRINK!

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Again, Hopefully it's structured to pay more money in the first 2 years, so it would be easier to move him in the last 2.

I don't mind the player, but the term isn't great.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Had to sign somebody.

Just moving in on Russell in particular does seem premature to me, but I understand not wanting to risk getting caught with your pants down and left with nobody.

Contract sucks but he's a UFA so that's not surprising.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
Seriously for the guys who say bad defenceman did you watch last year? Im sorry, he is solid gets the puck out, good passer, solid positionally. I get you might not like the term but to say he is a bad defenceman open your eyes

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I'm really not a fan of Russell, but I actually don't mind it. I'd prefer a right-handed defenseman with some ability to move the puck, but having Russell back isn't the end of the world.

Russell is good at what he does. He'll spend lots of time in his own zone and have next to no controlled zone exits, but he limits shots to low danger chances and almost always has a high ONSV% and low goals against because of it.

Players that play with him will almost surely have their offense take a hit, but somewhat make up for it with a bump in defensive results.

And I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a war about advanced stats. They show both the strengths and weaknesses above.

Though the money being discussed is concerning (too much, too long), my biggest concern is this discussion around no movement clause. Did they not learn anything from the expansion draft, and are they not aware that the league, now being 31 teams, is likely only a year or two away from another expansion team. Great news that we'll have to expose Klefbom or Larsson because of both Sekera and Russell having no movements. And don't talk about going 4, 4, 1, because we also have forwards like Lucic on no movement, or that it's very possible that one of one or both of Benning/Nurse could be the better defensemen by that point. Hooray!!!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Though the money being discussed is concerning (too much, too long), my biggest concern is this discussion around no movement clause. Did they not learn anything from the expansion draft, and are they not aware that the league, now being 31 teams, is likely only a year or two away from another expansion team. Great news that we'll have to expose Klefbom or Larsson because of both Sekera and Russell having no movements. And don't talk about going 4, 4, 1, because we also have forwards like Lucic on no movement. Hooray!!!
It's a modified NTC, not a NMC.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
Seriously for the guys who say bad defenceman did you watch last year? Im sorry, he is solid gets the puck out, good passer, solid positionally. I get you might not like the term but to say he is a bad defenceman open your eyes

:popcorn: AHAH yeah right.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Though the money being discussed is concerning (too much, too long), my biggest concern is this discussion around no movement clause. Did they not learn anything from the expansion draft, and are they not aware that the league, now being 31 teams, is likely only a year or two away from another expansion team. Great news that we'll have to expose Klefbom or Larsson because of both Sekera and Russell having no movements. And don't talk about going 4, 4, 1, because we also have forwards like Lucic on no movement, or that it's very possible that one of one or both of Benning/Nurse could be the better defensemen by that point. Hooray!!!

its like teams didnt figure out a way to keep the players they wanted to keep?

Feb 9, 2013
Who is RENAUD LAVOIE?

(Journaliste et expert de la LNH, il est affecté a la couverture du Canadien de Montréal depuis la fin des années 90. Il joint l’équipe de TVA Sports en tant que collaborateur aux émissions Le Premier Trio et Le Match et est affecté a la couverture du CH.)

So, an expert on the Oilers with connections to Chia... :shakehead

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Seriously for the guys who say bad defenceman did you watch last year? Im sorry, he is solid gets the puck out, good passer, solid positionally. I get you might not like the term but to say he is a bad defenceman open
your eyes

No, he doesn't.

In fact, these are the two things he can't do at at all, and are responsible for most of why he's bad.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Okay then. As long as it is expansion proof. He likely wouldn't get selected anyways, but you don't want to have to protect him at the expense of a younger (possibly better by that time) defenseman.

We shouldn't worry about an expansion draft that hasn't been announced, that's just crazy

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
If we hand this contract out to Russell and the Flames end up picking up Hamonic for picks, whatever faith I have left in Chia will be gone.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Am I the only person here who realizes that NOTHING HAS BEEN SIGNED (OR ANNOUNCED) YET?

sadly after the Strome trade we dont have to wait for things to be official to freak out.
Media insiders seems to be on their game this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Who is RENAUD LAVOIE?

(Journaliste et expert de la LNH, il est affecté a la couverture du Canadien de Montréal depuis la fin des années 90. Il joint l’équipe de TVA Sports en tant que collaborateur aux émissions Le Premier Trio et Le Match et est affecté a la couverture du CH.)

So, an expert on the Oilers with connections to Chia... :shakehead

He's actually very connected and has broken a few things before.

He's also saying what basically everyone else is saying in this case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad