Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell for Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock, Conditional 2nd Round Pick

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
The last thing I wrote in this forum was the day after the Russell trade, and how much the reading was making me wish the trade had not happened.
After a handful of games, and heading to the playoffs, (especially with the D-men injuries we've had) the Russell trade is paying off.
After last night's game/win over Chicago, Razor was addressing this very thing and how "fans" were not happy. He gave thumbs up for seeing now what Nill saw before the trade.

All in all, size and age, if a player can contribute, get him on the ice. One of my favorite things about Russell I've noticed, besides passing and shot blocking, that cat likes to "shoot." I like anyone who constantly throws pucks at the net. Eventually, the shots will hit net!

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
The last thing I wrote in this forum was the day after the Russell trade, and how much the reading was making me wish the trade had not happened.
After a handful of games, and heading to the playoffs, (especially with the D-men injuries we've had) the Russell trade is paying off.
After last night's game/win over Chicago, Razor was addressing this very thing and how "fans" were not happy. He gave thumbs up for seeing now what Nill saw before the trade.

All in all, size and age, if a player can contribute, get him on the ice. One of my favorite things about Russell I've noticed, besides passing and shot blocking, that cat likes to "shoot." I like anyone who constantly throws pucks at the net. Eventually, the shots will hit net!

Flames fan that actually really likes Russell here,

Glad to see he's been doing well. Been defending him for two years. The advanced stats thing is way overblown. Might not be the prettiest but his defense keeps pucks out of the net. End of story.

The shooting thing is kind of funny, always thought his shot was a bit of a weak spot compared to his skating but I guess Calgary is spoiled in that regard. Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, Wideman, and Nakladal all like too shoot a lot.

Jokki has been solid for us. If we can clear some of our bad defense contracts he will fit nicely on the third pairing next year.

Stars are my western playoff team this year. Would love to see you beat Chicago.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Jokki has been solid for us. If we can clear some of our bad defense contracts he will fit nicely on the third pairing next year.

I'm not at all surprised that Jokipakka is doing well. I think he'll continue to surprise you...he still has several years to mature and grow his skill set. You may have stumbled upon a guy who can grow into a decent 2nd pairing 2-way guy down the road. He's got the physical tools(skating, size, shot, and passing) to do it.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
One of my favorite things about Russell I've noticed, besides passing and shot blocking, that cat likes to "shoot." I like anyone who constantly throws pucks at the net. Eventually, the shots will hit net!

With Giordano out and Brodie soaking up the "killer" D-zone minutes, Russell became our top offensive guy on the left side late last season, and Kris hit this huge shot for us during the playoffs, tie game on the road in Vancouver with 30 seconds left on the clock.

I hope he knocks in a few of those for you guys en route to WCF :yo:

And yes, Jokipakka has been much better than expected. With the Russell trade and the Brodie "injury" *cough* he's gotten some opportunity on our second pair and he's looked good doing so, helping us today to our first regulation win over the Blues in... a long time.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
And yes, Jokipakka has been much better than expected. With the Russell trade and the Brodie "injury" *cough* he's gotten some opportunity on our second pair and he's looked good doing so, helping us today to our first regulation win over the Blues in... a long time.

You guys just got bigger, younger, and a heck of a lot cheaper in picking up Jokipakka. Plus you got Pollock, who will probably be a solid player down the road...AND you got a pick somehow too.

You guys did really well with this move.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
First off I hope you Dallas fans are enjoying Kris Russell. No sarcasm intended.
I do think this was a good hockey trade for both teams. As a Calgary fan I was not amazed by the return for Russell. I dont think you guys overpaid, and I dont think our GM fleeced yours.

I think both GMs did what their teams needed. Russell seems to be playing big minutes for you guys right now! Top pairing? Not saying he is an ideal top pairing dman, but he has shown he can fill that role fairly well when the need arises. Injuries happen and he is a nice player to have when they do.

As for what the flames got back? Spare parts. Cheap spare parts and a pick. I think we will be able to use those parts, pray for potential of these parts, but realistically we got a 3rd line dman who is young, a player who may project for the bottom six for forwards, and a second round pick. A pick that could be a first if you guys do well in the playoffs and Russell performs well. I will cheer for you guys.

Your late second round pick is not that special, late first is useful as a project or in trade. Hey if Russell helps you reach the conference finals, this is a fair price. A price I think would have all Dallas fans saying Nill did a great job, and all Flames fans saying Treliving did a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Rough game tonight for Russell but he's been good for us.

Russell occasionally has tire fire games where you're going "what are you even doing", but in the time he was with Calgary that only happened about 6-7 times over the two plus seasons. It seems like yesterday was one of those games.

Wouldn't worry about it too much.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
This article caught the eye written on Feb 21, 2016. Very Interesting.

Kyle Woodlief of the fine draft service the Redline Report in his USA Today column recently wrote.

"This year’s NHL draft depth is bad.".

To be clear, He loves the top 2 picks, he likes the top 10, but according to him. There is a major drop off at 25, and an even bigger drop off at pick 45. Which could explain why so many teams were ready to trade their 2nd rd and 3rd picks this year. Here is the excerpt.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...t-matthews-jake-bean-chychrun-depth/80668094/

Hmmm. Maybe this is why Nill was willing to part with our 2nd Rounder or even a late 1st this year in the Jokipakka trade.

I haven't been following the draft depth this year. Nill undoubtedly has...maybe he felt that that pick had a very low probability of being an asset down the road if in fact the draft is so shallow this year.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Hmmm. Maybe this is why Nill was willing to part with our 2nd Rounder or even a late 1st this year in the Jokipakka trade.

I haven't been following the draft depth this year. Nill undoubtedly has...maybe he felt that that pick had a very low probability of being an asset down the road if in fact the draft is so shallow this year.

Every year I hear the draft is weak.

I find that scouts just look at tiers. Top 3-10, top 10-20, top 30-50. As soon as they think there's a cut off they drop all the players down.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't have an opinion, but the same source said the draft was strong back in december.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I've read this year that the draft is weak but I disagreed with the author's opinion.

I'm hoping the article was right about it being weak to make losing that pick a little more palatable.

Though if I had to chose between getting either the 2nd round pick back, or Pollock, I'd for sure want to have Pollock back.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad