Value of: Kris Letang

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Maybe. We'd still need to find a RH top 4 dman though, which is easier said than done, but it wouldn't be a bad start if we decided to ship Letang out to have a defence built around 5-6 top 4 dmen, depending on what he thinks his next contract should be - and what you'd add to make up the value difference.
I'm not sure if there is a value difference based on Gardiner being younger/cheaper, but if thats the way the market was interpreting it I think we'd be able to fill the gap with something. We could probably extend Gardiner for a sign&trade after July 1st to take the risk out of it for the Pens and make sure the extension is reasonable. I would think mid $5M range

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
would the Pens be looking for a futures package or a roster player in return?

The Penguins as in the organization? Or the fan base? Because half the fan base would probably be happy with a 1st and a decent prospect or two. But there's no way the org would move him for futures. Their window is 2-4 years max where they have a real shot at deep runs, and as such there's no way they'd move Letang for futures unless they had already secured someone else (FA/trade).

Gardiner - without Toronto adding significantly to him is not someone that Rutherford would move Letang for. Maatta however? Now there's a legit discussion to be had. But Gardiner wouldn't even get a conversation going unless the + was significant (and not future based).

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The Penguins as in the organization? Or the fan base? Because half the fan base would probably be happy with a 1st and a decent prospect or two. But there's no way the org would move him for futures. Their window is 2-4 years max where they have a real shot at deep runs, and as such there's no way they'd move Letang for futures unless they had already secured someone else (FA/trade).

Gardiner - without Toronto adding significantly to him is not someone that Rutherford would move Letang for. Maatta however? Now there's a legit discussion to be had. But Gardiner wouldn't even get a conversation going unless the + was significant (and not future based).
I thought it was odd that there was a bunch of futures packages being discussed with the Pens window seemingly still open

I don't think I'd add something huge to Gardiner to get Letang based on the age and cost difference, but thought the stars might align with both guys seemingly being available from their teams. Maatta is less interesting because of handedness, Dermott is the reason that Gardiner is probably available not the bad game 7 so we really need to find some better RHD.

No big deal if it doesn't work, figured it was worth mentioning

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure if there is a value difference based on Gardiner being younger/cheaper, but if thats the way the market was interpreting it I think we'd be able to fill the gap with something. We could probably extend Gardiner for a sign&trade after July 1st to take the risk out of it for the Pens and make sure the extension is reasonable. I would think mid $5M range

Guess that depends how highly you rate Letang. Imo, next season he's probably going to be the guy who played the 2018 part of the RS at worst and at best, he rebounds to being the guy who a point per game through the first season and a half he played for Sully. That, to me, is worth a hell of a lot. Less than if he was deffo the best case guy, but I think the Pens are better off taking that gamble than selling to another team relatively cheap so they can. Worse case scenario - he's about the same as this year, we trade him then and I'm not sure how much the value drops. Best case scenario - Awesome dman. Probably somewhere in the middle, but that's worth having, and having the better player is more important for a win now team.

Most Letang scenario is he has a Norris worth system than breaks his neck with a sliding block on a Weber shot in the 81st game of the season, but I digress.

Anyhoo - there's plenty of Pens fans who I think wouldn't demand that much extra on top of Gardiner, but I would. I shan't claim I'm an expert and it should be the way I say so - but I do get a feeling the Pens org are so minded.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Guess that depends how highly you rate Letang. Imo, next season he's probably going to be the guy who played the 2018 part of the RS at worst and at best, he rebounds to being the guy who a point per game through the first season and a half he played for Sully. That, to me, is worth a hell of a lot. Less than if he was deffo the best case guy, but I think the Pens are better off taking that gamble than selling to another team relatively cheap so they can. Worse case scenario - he's about the same as this year, we trade him then and I'm not sure how much the value drops. Best case scenario - Awesome dman. Probably somewhere in the middle, but that's worth having, and having the better player is more important for a win now team.

Most Letang scenario is he has a Norris worth system than breaks his neck with a sliding block on a Weber shot in the 81st game of the season, but I digress.

Anyhoo - there's plenty of Pens fans who I think wouldn't demand that much extra on top of Gardiner, but I would. I shan't claim I'm an expert and it should be the way I say so - but I do get a feeling the Pens org are so minded.
ya, I agree that it depends on which Letang he ends up being and I'd take the risk from the Leafs pov. It's more attractive to us because of the handedness:

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Polak

becomes:
Rielly-Letang
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick/Borgman

which is a big improvement imo, even if its still not a great shut down D corps. It strengthens the right side that needs strengthening, at the expense of the left side that can afford to lose someone

If Gardiner was the best offer that you got then I'd do a 1 for 1, Ift Gardiner on his own wasn't the best offer that the you got, I'd add something that would be useful for you guys. We have lots of young wingers who have either just made it to the NHL level or are ready to. I'd be fine with a Brown/Johnsson add if that's what it took

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The stuff you bolded was in reference to this entire thread, where people have indeed labeled him as nothing more than a third pairing defenseman and essentially an albatross contract.

As for not worth the 10th overall pick, I think you're wrong. If Pittsburgh told Edmonton he was available for their first round pick, you honestly don't think Chiarelli would jump at the chance to add Letang to their lineup? Letang's literally what that team needs most (a #1D who can QB the PP).

Chiarelli gave up the 16th overall pick (as well as an early 2nd) for GRIFFIN REINHART. Yet you seem to think a proven top pairing defenseman like Letang would never land the 10OA?

Maybe a dumb GM like Chia would do that.

Doesn’t make him worth 10 OA.

Gonna stop arguing here cause it doesn’t seem like this can go further. Just a difference of opinions at this point. Feel free to bump this thread back in the future if I am proven wrong.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This site overrates the hell out of prospects and draft picks. Letang is 100% worth the 10th overall pick in a vacuum, and I would 100% expect Chiarelli to offer the 10th overall pick and then a good amount for Letang. You are absolutely thrilled if a 10th overall pick ends up even close to as good as Letang, even a struggling version of Letang.

Either way, it's a moot point because the Penguins aren't going to trade Letang.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This site overrates the hell out of prospects and draft picks. Letang is 100% worth the 10th overall pick in a vacuum, and I would 100% expect Chiarelli to offer the 10th overall pick and then a good amount for Letang. You are absolutely thrilled if a 10th overall pick ends up even close to as good as Letang, even a struggling version of Letang.

Either way, it's a moot point because the Penguins aren't going to trade Letang.

Lastnight there were people aruging that Hanifan wasn't worth the 10th pick. This place gets pretty stupid when it comes to draft picks - even early 1sts.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Letang is exactly what the oilers need to bring in. He bring stanley cup experience, runs a power play and is a right D-man. His age and salary would be a problem though. I would say the Oilers would have to send back a contract with the 10th for this to work. Sekera was suggested above, but i think he is going to be better next season.

Letang

for

Lucic(20% retained)
and 10th overall

Lucic's game would mesh well with Crosby and he is still a 40 point player and could be 50 points. The pens also get to pick one of number of great young players to insert some young blood on.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Letang is exactly what the oilers need to bring in. He bring stanley cup experience, runs a power play and is a right D-man. His age and salary would be a problem though. I would say the Oilers would have to send back a contract with the 10th for this to work. Sekera was suggested above, but i think he is going to be better next season.

Letang

for

Lucic(20% retained)
and 10th overall

Lucic's game would mesh well with Crosby and he is still a 40 point player and could be 50 points. The pens also get to pick one of number of great young players to insert some young blood on.

A. Guentzel plays LW with Crosby and they're certainly not going to bump him off for Lucic
B. Lucic and Crosby would be a nightmare duo, nightmare in a bad way. Lucic can't skate.
C. The Penguins need a defenseman back if they're trading Letang. It would have to be one of Nurse, Klefbom or Larsson as the main piece coming back for Letang.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe a dumb GM like Chia would do that.

Doesn’t make him worth 10 OA.

Gonna stop arguing here cause it doesn’t seem like this can go further. Just a difference of opinions at this point. Feel free to bump this thread back in the future if I am proven wrong.

So if Buffalo trades Ristolainen, he'd probably only yield a 3rd round pick at this point, considering how HF rates draft picks and judging players coming off of relatively weak seasons.

Reactions: Riptide and domaug

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

Letang

for

Lucic(20% retained)
and 10th overall

Yeah no thanks. Lucic is not of interest at all. Counter:

Klefbom
2018 2nd
2019 2nd

For

Letang

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon

Letang

for

Lucic(20% retained)
and 10th overall

I'd be fine with the Oilers building an offer around #10 overall (despite what other Pens fans may think) but Lucic can't be the roster player coming back. the Pens would need a defenseman in return.

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta

Letang

for

Lucic(20% retained)
and 10th overall

Lucic is a turd, nice salesman pitch though!

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
He just had a tremendous season. I wouldn’t say he’s necessarily “untouchable” since the Pens defense could use some work, but the offer would have to be huge.

He likely retires a Penguin along with Crosby and Malkin.

Reactions: domaug

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
Anybody saying Letang didn’t have a good year last year is wrong. He was great last year. One of the best defenders in the league. He had a bad playoff series against NYI for sure. But he had his best regular season in a long time. He was great and I wouldn’t trade him if I’m GMJR

Last edited:

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

While this site operates picks and prospects, certain Penguin fans overrate Kristopher Letang.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
While this site operates picks and prospects, certain Penguin fans overrate Kristopher Letang.

No one fan has. Letang is serverly underrated and underappreciated by every penguin fan.

Plays 26 mins a night and at an elite level, in every situation.

Like only 5 other Dmen in the league do that. And hes doing it at a great cap hit.

Makes a few bad plays and hes getting traded for scraps by the awful pens fans on here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad