Confirmed with Link: Kris Draper promoted to Assistant GM (will continue as Director of Amateur Scouting)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Did he replace someone or it's like when Yzerman moved from Tampa to Detroit.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
The biggest difference is that he gets to sit in on contract negotiations, calls with other GMs for trades, etc. to learn the business. Nice move by Yzerman who’s paying it forward

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, Yzerman totally just did this on a whim and clearly thinks Drapes is doing a terrible job so he's "promoting" him to get him out of his current role. I mean, all these busts that he keeps drafting as the Director of Amateur Scouting....meanwhile, anyone who watched the development camp saw a standout Kasper, a standout Lombardi, a standout ASP, a standout Dylan James (who got praise from both Cleary and Drapes), a great looking Danielson, a great looking Mazur, a strong new netminder in Augustine, a good looking Buium, a good looking Ali, a good looking Gibson. But yeah, these are all Stevie and Hakan picks right?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Must have been the Mazur and Lombardi picks that put him in line for a promotion…. You don’t usually get strong prospects like that in the 3rd/4th rounds.
It's not just about specific draft picks.
Draper spent the last four seasons as Red Wings director of amateur scouting, overseeing the franchise's amateur scouting department, running the NHL Entry Draft and assisting the Red Wings' management team in various hockey operations decisions.
For all we know, Draper may have been involved on a lot of decisions made not connected to the draft.

Reactions: Henkka

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Draper has clearly been Yzerman's right hand man for some time. No surprise here.
When Verbeek left, when it mattered, Horcroff got promoted. Over Draper. And Horcroff is still the right hand man.

This feels like a Jimmy Develano promotion.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I feel like this is an example of an organization putting legacy ahead of ability. I hope this is a case where Draper has lofty career ambitions which eventually lead him to take a role with another team.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Kris Draper who is always looking to draft the next Kris Draper. We need a guy who can pull up on a clean breakaway and fire a slapshot that is so high and wide that it takes out the organ player.

• Haha
Reactions: Henkka and Retire91

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I feel like this is an example of an organization putting legacy ahead of ability. I hope this is a case where Draper has lofty career ambitions which eventually lead him to take a role with another team.

And you're informed on what aspects of Drapers ability?
The most you can point to is draft picks you don't like so beyond that state your accusatory case of legacy above ability.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad