Confirmed with Link: Kris Draper promoted to Assistant GM (will continue as Director of Amateur Scouting)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He has been Director of Amateur Scouting since 2019… so he was just promoted to AGM as well?

Reactions: wings95

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Must have been the Mazur and Lombardi picks that put him in line for a promotion…. You don’t usually get strong prospects like that in the 3rd/4th rounds.

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Hmmmm, I am hoping this has something to do with hiring Al Murray, but with Draper retaining the director of amateur scouting role, idk. As much as some choices seemingly jump out as bad ones, we've made some strong choices during his time in charge of the draft, and I have no doubt that Draper works his bag off in terms of preparation and willingness to go above and beyond in his role. Congrats to him on the promo.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hmmmm, I am hoping this has something to do with hiring Al Murray, but with Draper retaining the director of amateur scouting role, idk. As much as some choices seemingly jump out as bad ones, we've made some strong choices during his time in charge of the draft, and I have no doubt that Draper works his bag off in terms of preparation and willingness to go above and beyond in his role. Congrats to him on the promo.
Would be awesome, was going to say this was what I would love to see us do.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
They could be keeping him in that role for now while they work things out as to not prematurely make it obvious they're hiring Murray.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Probably learn some more, and get a GM job of his own sometime soon.
This is what I'm thinking. I think Draper has pretty high aspirations, and this is the natural progression for a guy on a NHL management good trajectory. With Yzerman likely not going anywhere anytime soon, this is setting Draper up for the experience he needs to grab a GM role somewhere in the coming years.

It's possible Murray being available spurned this, but I also don't think Draper gets promoted to AGM if he didn't deserve it.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
They could be keeping him in that role for now while they work things out as to not prematurely make it obvious they're hiring Murray.
This is how I see it, I don't think its a coincidence that the guy Yzerman tried to hire as his Director of Amateur scouting leaves his role with Tampa, and the next week, Draper gets a 'promotion' which could open the Director of Amateur Scouting role while still keeping Draper in a prominent front office job.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Draper has clearly been Yzerman's right hand man for some time. No surprise here.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
ooo so does this mean we can hire that guy that was in tampa who was responsible for essentially all their good players the last 10 years??

Hope for that. Al Murray did first draft for the LA Kings... Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Alec Martinez, Wayne Simmonds, Jonathan Quick, Brian Boyle, Mike Cammalleri, Alexander Frolov, Lubomir Visnovsky....

Cups arrived to LA 2012 & 2014 when Murray was already at Tampa.

Then Cups started to arrive at Tampa...

Would be nice dynamic duo with Håkan Andersson.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Happy for Drapes and would love to see someone else take over Director of Amateur Scouting. I do hope Draper gets his shot in a few years to run a different franchise. Would love to see him follow in Yzerman and Pat Verbeek's footsteps and run another franchise on his own.

Reactions: PullHard

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
Happy for Drapes and would love to see someone else take over Director of Amateur Scouting. I do hope Draper gets his shot in a few years to run a different franchise. Would love to see him follow in Yzerman and Pat Verbeek's footsteps and run another franchise on his own.
Hopefully sooner than latter. Hakan should have been promoted, Draper is a stooge.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Imo, his role didn't change anyhow ?

It's just adding extra title.
No, his role would be changing as well. It's also possible his role started changing last season, and the title is now catching up.

What a strange opinion to hold.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I really hope so.

Doing well in the 3rd and 4th round doesn't count when you blow the second round picks. this team needs new NA scouts, both amateur and pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad