Krejci's Cap Hit in 2015/16 and Beyond?

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Going to be more than 6.5 but like many people here I do not believe he will make the Bruins give him what he could make on the open market. He seems to love it here and a decent pay cut with a full NMC seems reasonable for DK

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think this poll needs some higher options.

Stastny, a lesser player, got 7 million a year with a lower salary cap. The salary cap is expected to shoot up next year with the TV deal money, etc.

7 for Krejci would be a huge hometown discount.

7.5 would also being doing the Bruins a favor. (I think this is where he signs at)

8 - 8.5 is closer to market value.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River

Lucchino_h.jpg

Capt Jack

May 12, 2014

Stastny, a lesser player, got 7 million a year with a lower salary cap. The salary cap is expected to shoot up next year with the TV deal money, etc.

7.5 would also being doing the Bruins a favor. (I think this is where he signs at)

Paul Stastny a lesser player?
Based on what?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Looks like the pay scale is undergoing a much delayed correction. There is a mistaken belief the lockout was about owners being upset at giving great players big contracts. The truth is rich people spend obscene amounts of money to satisfy their ego all the time.

Owners have always been upset at lesser players being overpaid and guys not delivering on long term deals.

I see more and more that the middle class in hockey will disappear in the coming years and the first line stars will get paid more like they do in other sports or other entertainment.

Krejci is a first line star center and better than paul statsny. His market price is minimum 8 per year under current conditions but i believe someone will give him 9.

Remember bobby holik got 9 over a decade ago. Owners are willing to pay it... it was the union that wanted limits and the middle class

member 96824

Paul Stastny a lesser player?
Based on what?

Lack of watching Stastny.

I would probably put them in the same tier. Edge to krejci, but absolutely a comparable.

That being said, I dont like Stastny at 7, and wouldn't Krejci either. 6.5 is the highest IMO. Consistency still too much of an issue.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site

This is it. Don't understand why so many fan don't understand what market value is. There's the same issue in understanding how it work here. Alot of fans think Subban got overpaid and should earn Pietrangelo's money. Well both contract were sign at different time, their real value is probably about the same. But the real number you have to watch is what % a player is taking on the team's salary cap. The number per year is irrevalent, everything as to do with %.

I suppose that's why EVERY off season we hear fan talking about x-y-z "bad contracts/what their gm was thinking?"

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

I would probably put them in the same tier. Edge to krejci, but absolutely a comparable.

That being said, I dont like Stastny at 7, and wouldn't Krejci either. 6.5 is the highest IMO. Consistency still too much of an issue.
He was pretty consistent last season .. I guess you could say iginla had a lot to do with it though.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

And no offense but if you told krejci 6.5 is the highest you would go......

Capt Jack

May 12, 2014
Playoff heroics on two trips to the cup finals... leading teams into the playoffs year after year.

Sorry but these things actually matter to the decesion makers that hand out contracts

We will see Chiarelli is a loyal type of GM.
Not so sure you can blame Paul Stastny for Colorado's lack of success in recent years.

Last edited:

Capt Jack

May 12, 2014

Comparable yes contract price for Krejci that's a tough one to call.
Judging by the latest ones good chance it's higher than we would like.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I would rate Krejci slightly above Stastny but very close and debatable. I think because Stastny's contract starts this year and with the cap staying the same, it may have handcuffed his chances for getting more. I'd love to see Krejci take 7 from the Bruins but I think he would get closer to 8+ on the open market.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I still don't get the 8+ number. Who is the 8+ comp?

There are none. The market has just changed with Kane, Toews and Subban. PK Subban just got 9 million a season and he couldn't get icetime on Canada's Olympic team. Doughty makes 2 million less than Subban so it's not about player comparables unless you sign in the same time frame.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site

Dubinsky got 5,85 (ok 2nd liner)
Brassard got 5 (good 3rd line center)
O'Reilly got 6 on a 2 year deal (good 2nd line center)
Bishop got 5,95 (one good year under his belt)

Subban got 9 (top 15 d in the league)
Toews got 10,5 ( top 10 center in the league)
Kane got 10,5 (top 10 winger in the league)

Now were should Krejci go as a top 20 center in the league?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
There are none. The market has just changed with Kane, Toews and Subban. PK Subban just got 9 million a season and he couldn't get icetime on Canada's Olympic team. Doughty makes 2 million less than Subban so it's not about player comparables unless you sign in the same time frame.

Got it.

It will be interesting to see where Boston values him. IMO he's behind Chara, Tuukka and Bergeron. A year after Joe Thornton signs for under 7 mil and scaling for the rising salaries year to year, it looks like 7 mil ish on a long term deal to me.

member 96824

He was pretty consistent last season .. I guess you could say iginla had a lot to do with it though.

Absolutely, through the regular season...then was a complete no show in the playoffs. Years past, it's been inconsistent in the regular season and then show up in the playoffs. Inconsistently inconsistent! :naughty:

And no offense but if you told krejci 6.5 is the highest you would go......

Comparable yes contract price for Krejci that's a tough one to call.
Judging by the latest ones good chance it's higher than we would like.

I would...we aren't as desperate for a center as the Blues were for Stastny and plus, just because team A overpays does not mean that team B must match that and also overpay. 6.5 is the number for me. Stastny has a few ~PPG seasons under his belt to also negotiate with, something that Krejci doesn't have the fortune of.

Krejci would absolutely get 7 on the open market, I'm not doubting that, just like Bergeron would have without a doubt in my mind. Maybe more, and if Krejci wants to hit the open market for more cash he's well in his right to do so...but I just don't like him above 6.5M...especially since we know all the bells and whistles that will be attached with his contract (I'm guessing a no move clause where he can submit a list of 1 team he'd be willing to move to, along with rights to be first in line on meatball sub mondays, personal use of Jacob's fishing pond, and 2 fluff pieces on Behind the B:naughty:)

O'Reilly got 6 putting up numbers a shade below Krejci the last 3 years, while being better defensively and 5 years younger. Now yeah, he was an RFA, but it was clear that the threat of leaving was very real through negotiations.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dubinsky got 5,85 (ok 2nd liner)
Brassard got 5 (good 3rd line center)
O'Reilly got 6 on a 2 year deal (good 2nd line center)
Bishop got 5,95 (one good year under his belt)

Subban got 9 (top 15 d in the league)
Toews got 10,5 ( top 10 center in the league)
Kane got 10,5 (top 10 winger in the league)

Now were should Krejci go as a top 20 center in the league?

Expect the Bruins to look around the $7 M per on a long term I'm sure they would like to get not get to 8 years....they have a bunch of centers coming along and having Krejci and Bergeron tied up for that amount of time pretty much limits that- plus you have Soderberg up, and then what if Spooner or Koko are the real deal? the others seem 3-5 years away so not a problem

Krejci ideal deal for me would be 7 M at 5 years but I think he will want and get 7 or 8 years

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Who was the $10.5 comp for Kane and Toews? UFA's don't look back, they set the bar.

The $8m number that people are referring to has a lot to do with inflation, IMHO. If Stastny got $7 under the current cap, and the cap goes up by a significant amount then you can expect to see more money offered for a comparable player. I don't think it's as simple as, the cap ceiling goes up by 10%, then contracts go up by 10%, but there is a correlation. Well paid third liners go from making $3m as the norm to seeing offers in the $4-5 range. You even see it at the high end, where Patrick Kane is now going to make $2m MORE than Sidney Crosby.

Personally, I think Krejci wouid get offered $8 all day long as a UFA, but I think there's merit to the argument that he took less on his last deal, that he's happy here, and that those things will probably add up to him taking something closer to $7 on a long-term deal to stay in Boston.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This has everything to do with when the deals are signed.

I believe that contracts should be looked at in the context of the percentage of the cap the contract eats at the time that it is signed.

Example, if I recall the cap coming out of the 2005 lockout was 39 million and the max contract was something like 17 percent of that or 6.7 million.

17% of the new cap is about 12 million.

So when it gets brought up "Would you rather have Chara at 7 or Subban at 9?" and "Would you rather have Bergeron at 6.5 or Krejci at (pick a number)?", it's really unfair to compare.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Expect the Bruins to look around the $7 M per on a long term I'm sure they would like to get not get to 8 years....they have a bunch of centers coming along and having Krejci and Bergeron tied up for that amount of time pretty much limits that- plus you have Soderberg up, and then what if Spooner or Koko are the real deal? the others seem 3-5 years away so not a problem

Krejci ideal deal for me would be 7 M at 5 years but I think he will want and get 7 or 8 years

Yes, I also think they will agree with something arround 7M, money never seems to be 1st priority for Krejci.

For the length, I don't know. Alot can happen in 8 years and the Bruins doesn't seems to like giving deal that long. Personnaly I think Spooner's upside is a poor man Briere and I don't think it fits well here. Koko seems to have more jam to his game ... we'll see, but if I'm the one who take the decision, I'm not giving Bergy/Krejci spot to one of those two. (different story if they prove they can take the spot while Bergy/Krejci are still on the team) Maybe I give Soderbergs spot depending on how much money he wants, but looking at his past history in Malmo, money doesn't seem to be his priority too.

I agree it's kinda sad for our center prospects but I don't see any opening for them and I don't want to mess on our position of strenght to gamble on a young guy. I don't like risk :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This has everything to do with when the deals are signed.

I believe that contracts should be looked at in the context of the percentage of the cap the contract eats at the time that it is signed.

Example, if I recall the cap coming out of the 2005 lockout was 39 million and the max contract was something like 17 percent of that or 6.7 million.

17% of the new cap is about 12 million.

So when it gets brought up "Would you rather have Chara at 7 or Subban at 9?" and "Would you rather have Bergeron at 6.5 or Krejci at (pick a number)?", it's really unfair to compare.

Exactly, if both PK and Doughty were up for contracts this summer, I would argue 30 out of 30 GM`s wouldn`t be paying PK as much as Doughty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad