Proposal: Kreider to Toronto

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
BBA, not so clear cut and dried.
Depends on how much a buyer will go on Nyl for his rep/potential, vs what he's showing lately; and, how desperate Leafs are for cap, and if they prefer this v. other options.

Nylander showed great form and there is reason to think he can return to that form, but his current value is less than that optimal based on latest performance.

Also, Nylander may demonstrate growth but he is really just a speedster with a good=>great shot, who being righty is a plus. This guy is not great defensively. I don't think I say he is soft, but is, like, another Schieffle? No.

Now in the right situation, although nothing is a given until it is proven, the right combos = chemistry, and special common positive factors with chemistry = synergy. Nylander as righty shot RW would excel with the uber-physical Kreider at LW and the adequately physical Nieves at pivot. Such would be average plus otherwise on balance, but be way above par on speed, and in most sports, most of the time, speed kills.

But your issue was it was not enuf for Leafs, nor of any benefit to them.
Disagree.

While Leafs need more than just this, they clearly need G upgrade who is cheap. Georgiev on elc is that.

Second, if they move Nylander, to whomever, they will need cheap replacement. Strome is nowhere near the sniper Nylander is, but he is a 5OA guy with serious potential only now being realized, who = a more physical alternate to Nyl. He may only chip in a third to half the goals we guess we will see from WN, but he does so at half the price, and is a fine stop gap at worst. At best, they get a year to decide how long they want to get hitched with him.

Third, cap, cap, cap.
Both my deals got like a 6.5 ish instant relief, with more cap available depending on options with Marc Staal. Hell, if they suddenly have glut of F, they can flip Strome also.
They will need every nickel since Matthews and Tavares [the latter even w/hometown discount] are huge #s, and Marner will be AT LEAST 10m per.
While not the only mathematical combo, moving Marleau w/out retention to a place that can afford to take him, to where he'd be willing to go, and moving Nyl, will ensure Marner and that is a priority for TOR.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd be open to a 3rd in a couple of years which conditionally can morph into 2 2nds, IF after a coupla years, Nylander hits certain targets, and is available to play X number of games, AND demonstrates acceptable levels of production [points, +/-, etc.].

But in totality I wouldn't add otherwise.

And as to counter-offers, where is there favorable cap to Leafs?

Again, possible, but I'm not seeing it.

best...
Bern, there are much better ways to get cap relief than being bent over in a Nylander trade.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
What an awful offer.

For one season of Kreider? That's a pretty damn good offer considering Kapanen is an RFA and can be signed long term. He'll also put up 50 points a season and is one of the fastest players in the league. Plus a 1st? I don't think Dubas even considers it since they won't be able to sign Kreider long term.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
For one season of Kreider? That's a pretty damn good offer considering Kapanen is an RFA and can be signed long term. He'll also put up 50 points a season and is one of the fastest players in the league. Plus a 1st? I don't think Dubas even considers it since they won't be able to sign Kreider long term.

Toronto may not want to do it, but that doesn’t mean it’s still not overpayment on the Rangers part.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No, Stamkos re-signed right before he hit UFA status.
Stamkos signed in June 2016. His contract was expiring July 1st 2016 so it kicked in 2016-2017 season. Kreider's contract expires July 1st 2020, which is why I think we have to wait until July 1st 2019 according to the CBA rule.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Stamkos signed in June 2016. His contract was expiring July 1st 2016 so it kicked in 2016-2017 season. Kreider's contract expires July 1st 2020, which is why I think we have to wait until July 1st 2019 according to the CBA rule.

I don’t know the ruling on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad