Proposal: Kreider to Toronto

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
This trade is under the assumption that Dubas plans to retain the "big 3", and Marner's new extension will likely cost the Leafs a cap casualty or two. The Rangers take on Marleau's contract (and he waives) with a handshake agreement to buy him out a la Brooks Orpik, as well as retaining max on Kreider's. The Rangers could also include a cheap depth player so the leafs have more money to spend on plugging the holes in their D after resigning Marner. The Leafs get a top LW that plays big and ups his game in the playoffs, as well as a veteran depth player that Babcock can depend on.

Kreider (4.6m, 50% retained)
Fast (1.85m)

For

Marleau (6.25m)
Kapanen (RFA)
1st 2020

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I think any trade involving Kapanen that doesnt include an rhd coming back to Toronto will not go over well

Reactions: StonedAF

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I don't think Toronto is going to be inclined to let Kapanen go as a cap casualty with other options available, and the Rangers would be lucky to get Kapanen for Kreider straight up considering the contract situation. The dead cap space means nothing to Gorton this season with so many kids coming up in the lineup and tons of expiring contracts that can be easily moved. I don't expect Kreider will return as much as most Rangers fans seem to think, but i would absolutely love to be proven wrong. There has been a lot of WPG 1st + Kreider for top 10 pick trades proposed, but with the lottery win this year I think Gorts would much rather add an NHL ready player in Kapanen to our young lineup.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Kreider at 50% will cost Kapanen and the 1st alone probably, why are they doing you a favor and doing the Marleau buyout too? And then the casual Fast throw in

If Kreider was traded this deadline, I'd agree with you. But he's just a rental now

I think any trade involving Kapanen that doesnt include an rhd coming back to Toronto will not go over well

Like I said, someone has to be a cap casualty. I can't imagine the leafs would want a lightly used Shattenkirk.

50% retained on Kreider, AND taking on Marleau at full value?

Not a ****ing shot.

No one’s lining up to do Toronto any favors. It’s a sticky situation, and they have no leverage because of it.

We would be getting a 22 year old 20 goal scoring winger, and a 2020 1st. What should we expect get for Kreider if we were to trade him at the deadline next year?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
We would be getting a 22 year old 20 goal scoring winger, and a 2020 1st. What should we expect get for Kreider if we were to trade him at the deadline next year?

Probably exactly that, but without having to take back an egregious cap dump, and maybe without as much retention.

The OP has the Rangers doing two huge favors for the Leafs, without equitable compensation.

Reactions: BernieParent

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Probably exactly that, but without having to take back an egregious cap dump, and maybe without as much retention.

The OP has the Rangers doing two huge favors for the Leafs, without equitable compensation.

I don't care what sort of "huge favor" we are doing the Leafs if it means we get a young talented winger and a 1st in a deep 2020 draft. As I've said, the cap space means actual nothing to the Rangers next year (and the year after). The Rangers get 2 premium assets for some meaningless cap space and an expiring contract (or two). I don't see a player like Kapanen being traded unless something actually enticing would be going the other way.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
50% retained on Kreider, AND taking on Marleau at full value?

Not a ****ing shot.

No one’s lining up to do Toronto any favors. It’s a sticky situation, and they have no leverage because of it.
What a joke. Pretty sure the GM and capologist on the TML payroll have long-term plans in place and don’t fall victim to such troll as you.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
What a joke. Pretty sure the GM and capologist on the TML payroll have long-term plans in place and don’t fall victim to such troll as you.

I'm sure they do have a plan.

But... it is a sticky situation, and they don't have much leverage, if any.

What about that is wrong? Or trolling? Or is that just your default when confronted with fact-based opinions that hurt your feelings?

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Marleau has a no trade clause why would he waive it to go to a rebuilding team? The leafs are stuck with him till the end of it.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah Marleau isn't coming to NYR. I could very much see Kreider as the missing piece for TOR though. His ability to get on the forecheck and beat people to the outside with speed would add a whole new element for them. Yeah I know they need help on the blueline but your blueline is automatically helped out when Kreider is chasing pucks and cycling possession in the O zone for x amount of minutes per game. I'd do Kreider @ 50% for Kapanen and the 2020 1st or maybe even Liljegren (admittedly don't know what his value is these days)

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Marleau has a no trade clause why would he waive it to go to a rebuilding team? The leafs are stuck with him till the end of it.

Did you bother to read the entire post? Marleau waives under the agreement that he will be bought out and can resign (for cheap) with SJ, Tor, or wherever else his heart may desire

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Yeah Marleau isn't coming to NYR. I could very much see Kreider as the missing piece for TOR though. His ability to get on the forecheck and beat people to the outside with speed would add a whole new element for them. Yeah I know they need help on the blueline but your blueline is automatically helped out when Kreider is chasing pucks and cycling possession in the O zone for x amount of minutes per game. I'd do Kreider @ 50% for Kapanen and the 2020 1st or maybe even Liljegren (admittedly don't know what his value is these days)

I'd love Kreider for Kapanen and 2020 1st too. The thing is, Kapanen doesn't have arbitration rights, so Toronto can play hardball and try to sign him to a cheap bridge contract vs deal him with a 1st. We would need to give more to pry him from the leafs, and short term cap space is exactly what they need and what we can very easily offer.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Good effort OP.
I prefer the following:

Two w/Toronto
A.
Staal, 5.7 x 2 = 2.85 for Marleau, 6.25 expiring
instant cap relief for Leafs w/Staal able to be bought out cheap
trade him at half and cap hit is minuscule 1.425
Rangers can hold onto Marleau as a useful stopgap, or if he prefers, deal him as an expiring rental
cap dif is min 6.25 - 2.85 = 3.4 instant minimal relief to Leafs, with options for more cap savings

B.
Georgiev .7925m expiring elc + Strome 3.1 expiring
total cap is ballpark 3.8925+
for
Nylander 6.9 - 3.8925 = another 3.1-ish instant cap for Leafs

total cap relief to TOR both deals = 3.1 + 3.4 instant immediate cap savings
with more cap recovery possible depending on if/when/how Staal moved/bought out, etc.

Analysis:
Leafs might get lucky, but do not seem to have enough netminder quality to win it all. Georgiev totally stoned them, has emerged, and on an elc, so he is cost controlled for the immediate future. If all things were equal, Rangers, making room for Shesty to join Hank, should deal him out of conference. Thus, Leafs have to step up with return.
Strome (finally found game with NYR) is a good stopgap w/potential

A huge consideration, obviously, is the cap space needed to make Marner a happy camper; this deal achieves that, Leafs effectively repurpose star quality F into need area G, with some depth.

They can use Fast, but not sure his value is appreciated, so let's keep him.
I would consider something like a 2023 3rd which can be upgraded into two 2nds IF Nylander:
is available to play X number of games for NYR
hits certain production targets [points, +/-, etc]

Rangers repurpose depth for righty F add.

Marleau can be dealt to club of his choice as a friendly rental if nec to have him waive nmc. However, there is a chance we are in good shape if we get a few breaks, and he may be good with that ride.

Get rid of excess vet depth
sign Panarin, get Hayes back at decent term + $
deal Namest at half + NYR 2019 2nd + TB 2nd for TB 1st
deal Zib + Vesey + later pick for Hanifin + Ras Andersson + CAL 1st
deal Lias, Howden + Deangelo for Buf 2019 = 7OA, St.L 2020 1st + 2 prospects
deal Buch + for 8OA
dump Smith

Kakko - Kravtsov - Panarin
Kreider - Nieves - Nylander
Chytil - Hayes - Marleau
Lemieux - Gettinger - Fast

LD: Hanifin-Hajek-Lindgren-Rykov-Claesson
RD: R Andersson, Shattenkirk
EK a one year stopgap, hangs with Hank?

G: Hank, Shesty

Why would Marleau not want to get in on that?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Marleau is barely an NHL player at this point. He's going to genuinely be AHL quality or worse by December at this point.

Realistic scenario is he has some shred of honor and retires after he gets his bonus instead of embarrassing himself for a stupid iron man streak. The retired contract will be easier to move.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The Leafs are already out a 1st and need to continue to develop their own ELC talent and Kapanen is coming into his own as a very young top-6 winger under RFA control for several years. One year of Kreider isn't worth it for Toronto.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It wouldn't surprised me if Krider ended up in Toronto because appearently it got close at the deadline but this isn't the way it happens IF it happens

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Marleau chose TO. Doubt he’d waive. And before I see another “there can be a handshake agreement to be bought out and re-signed” — that’s not happening. The league investigated the Caps after the Orpik thing last year. They found no wrongdoing — it didn’t appear pre-planned, the Avs tried to trade Orpik to a new team before buying him out, it worked out that he re-signed w/ the Caps but it wasn’t agreed on beforehand — but there’s zero chance the league is going to let blatant, pre-meditated cap circumvention occur. I’m pretty confident there would have been a memo sent out to the league last year to that effect following the Orpik re-signing + investigation.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
When is the leafs management and the fans going to realize that they know nothing about asset-management. You have enough upfront. Do you not realize that you guys need to work on improving defense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad