Recalled/Assigned: Kreider and Mashinter recalled to Rangers

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Its all talk. Kreider needs to show me something in Philly and then build off that.

He doesnt even have to get a point. I want to see him play with some power, decisiveness, passion and ill humor.

Come to think of it, a lot of guys have to show me that.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Im happy that AV has put Kreider with stepan and richards. Kreider needs guys who can help put the puck in good spots for him. Stepan and him have good chemistry and Richards has been probably our most consistent player

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Im happy that AV has put Kreider with stepan and richards. Kreider needs guys who can help put the puck in good spots for him. Stepan and him have good chemistry and Richards has been probably our most consistent player

yeah, we may have a top line that.... actually works :handclap:

If/when Nash comes back, and we end up with:

Line 1: Hags Step Nash
Line 2: Cally Richards Krieder

Thats not a terrible top 6... assuming Nash ever comes back to life, and Krieder can actually produce

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I just want to point something out that I heard last night that was kind of surprising to me. Shawn Thornton did not make the NHL as a regular until ~9 years after he was drafted. He would have been 27/28 years old. People wonder why the Rangers keep looking at Mashinter, those guys take time. Big guys who don't have a ton of skill but can keep other players honest.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
I almost wish Kreider never came in for the '11-'12 playoffs

that way the kid would have reasonable expectations rather than being looked to as a savior every time he puts on a NYR jersey

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I almost wish Kreider never came in for the '11-'12 playoffs

that way the kid would have reasonable expectations rather than being looked to as a savior every time he puts on a NYR jersey

Or we just want him to be engaged like he was in those playoffs? No one looks at him as a savior or at least they shouldnt. But we've seen what he is capable of because of his talent and ability. He didnt score all 5 goals in one game in those playoffs. It wasnt some fluke. He has the talent to be effective like that in the nhl. He needs to put it together though. And judging by everything Richards has said about Kreider, he wants it bad. Hopefully he is a force out there tonight, but also hopefully he doesnt think too much and just plays his game.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Or we just want him to be engaged like he was in those playoffs? No one looks at him as a savior or at least they shouldnt. But we've seen what he is capable of because of his talent and ability. He didnt score all 5 goals in one game in those playoffs. It wasnt some fluke. He has the talent to be effective like that in the nhl. He needs to put it together though. And judging by everything Richards has said about Kreider, he wants it bad. Hopefully he is a force out there tonight, but also hopefully he doesnt think too much and just plays his game.

This is it for me. I have seen him play well in college at he WJC's, in Hartford. He just needs to keep his game simple and take the puck to the net. When he does that, he creates space for himself and his linemates and is incredibly effective. He is hard to contain.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I just want to point something out that I heard last night that was kind of surprising to me. Shawn Thornton did not make the NHL as a regular until ~9 years after he was drafted. He would have been 27/28 years old. People wonder why the Rangers keep looking at Mashinter, those guys take time. Big guys who don't have a ton of skill but can keep other players honest.

Thornton can skate though. That's what is really holding Mashinter back from being a regular NHLer. Mash isn't a bad hockey player, and if he could skate, I'd be just fine with him being a 4th liner on this team. He's a good scrapper and can forecheck very well. Unfortunately he has a very hard time getting in on the forecheck to begin with at this level.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Thornton can skate though. That's what is really holding Mashinter back from being a regular NHLer. Mash isn't a bad hockey player, and if he could skate, I'd be just fine with him being a 4th liner on this team. He's a good scrapper and can forecheck very well. Unfortunately he has a very hard time getting in on the forecheck to begin with at this level.

I'd also like to add that Shawn Thornton is significantly helped by having two of the best 4th liners in the game on his line. Campbell is one of the best 4C in the league, and Paille is just a really good 4th liner. Would say he scores maybe 5 points separated from them. If Mashinter sticks at the NHL level and continues to play with good 4th liners like Dorsett and D. Moore (wouldn't put Boyle on the same line as him), some points will come. He's not offensively inept, he has the ability to score.

Also, if he sticks in the NHL, his skating will improve IMO.

Edit: Oh, I thought Paille was a center this whole time. Oop.

Thesensation19*

Its come to the point where everyone is a mess. Simple things are not being completed. It sucks too, cuz even if we win tonight it means we might very well be a terrible team next 3 games...

Its good to see some change though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

A player has to continue to develop his skills--when he gets a shot he has to take advantage of it--find a niche. Have to be a good enough skater--have to be reliable defensively--have to be able to add an ingredient that the team lacks. That's pretty much how Thornton made it. Guys like Engelland or Matt Carkner--pretty much the same kind of scenario but d-men examples.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Thornton can skate, yes. But I'm sure he had his issues or else he would have made it earlier. Same goes for Mash.

I'd also like to add that Shawn Thornton is significantly helped by having two of the best 4th liners in the game on his line. Campbell is one of the best 4C in the league, and Paille is just a really good 4th liner. Would say he scores maybe 5 points separated from them. If Mashinter sticks at the NHL level and continues to play with good 4th liners like Dorsett and D. Moore (wouldn't put Boyle on the same line as him), some points will come. He's not offensively inept, he has the ability to score.

Also, if he sticks in the NHL, his skating will improve IMO.

Edit: Oh, I thought Paille was a center this whole time. Oop.

Exactly, it's the right fit. He had a great fit in Anaheim too when he was there.

A player has to continue to develop his skills--when he gets a shot he has to take advantage of it--find a niche. Have to be a good enough skater--have to be reliable defensively--have to be able to add an ingredient that the team lacks. That's pretty much how Thornton made it. Guys like Engelland or Matt Carkner--pretty much the same kind of scenario but d-men examples.

Exactly. It takes some guys longer. Bickell is another example of a big guy taking a long time.

Punxrocknyc19*

Thornton can skate, yes. But I'm sure he had his issues or else he would have made it earlier. Same goes for Mash.

Exactly, it's the right fit. He had a great fit in Anaheim too when he was there.

Exactly. It takes some guys longer. Bickell is another example of a big guy taking a long time.

Stu Bickel also took a long time to make the NHL oh wait :sarcasm:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This little period of time here represents big chances for Kreider and Miller. They have a solid shot in the lineup where they're guaranteed quality ice time. Seize it. They might get bumped down in the lineup when people come back from injuries, but if they establish yourself now, it will be the guys currently below them who will get pushed out. At least there's something interesting to look for in these games.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
This little period of time here represents big chances for Kreider and Miller. They have a solid shot in the lineup where they're guaranteed quality ice time. Seize it. They might get bumped down in the lineup when people come back from injuries, but if they establish yourself now, it will be the guys currently below them who will get pushed out. At least there's something interesting to look for in these games.

That's if their heads got out of their behinds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad