Proposal: Kraken take Price and flip him?

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I feel that Sakic will take a look at a retained Price. With Grubauer on UFA market, they have a bunch of great prospects to convince Seattle to get some millions

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Talks of retaining a large chunk of salary for the duration of Price's contract seems ludicrous to me. It's unprecedented. Teams have retained a smaller portion of salary long-term (ie Kessel to Pit, Luongo back to Florida and I believe Phaneuf when he got moved to LA), or retained half salary for a full season (ie Yandle to NYR, Barrie to Toronto) but some scenario where Seattle retains $3M-$5M over multiple years is the stuff of video games imo. Just doesn't happen.

Either they gamble on Price, or they don't.... but I think it's pretty unlikely they pick him then immediately flip him elsewhere, especially at the levels of retention some posters are suggesting here

Troygambletheforgot

Sep 20, 2020
Price is not going to get traded after being picked by Seattle which is close to his home and in-laws are from Eastern Washington state and I can’t think of a team that can or will take on his contract even at $7 Million a season. Seattle and Carey Price are a perfect fit as he owns the Canucks as his career record is 15-2-3 I believe and Seattle having a First Nation/Native American face of the franchise that is from the region is exactly what Seattle is trying to do off the ice with diversity in hiring.
The only thing that surprised me is by how many people got surprised by this news because Montreal was going to have move Price or Weber in the next few years to sign all of their RFA’s like Suzuki, Romanov and Kotakneimi and important UFA’s like Danualt and Chairot.

Reactions: powerstuck

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Not happening. Much easier to flip more affordable cap hits with shorter term. Price wouldn't net you a good return because of the risk of his contract. Retaining on it would just be stupid.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You might be on to something. Price wife tweeted “that it would all make sense soon”
My words but the meaning isn’t lost .

That would be genius. Though I don't see why Seattle would want to absorb that cap... it would limit their flexibility. They payback from Montreal would have to be significant.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Take him in the expansion draft, retain 3m per, and flip him to Toronto (or the Pens?) with the appropriate return given the retention.

Crash HF

Be a hell of a way to shake things up in the league.
why would they flip him? ...they are getting a better selection of players than Vegas did, and can have one of the best tandems in the league with Price and any of the other 2-3 stud goalies available to them.
they can basically draft a Cup contender.

Reactions: Troygambletheforgot

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
the post you replied to saying carolina would be interested said price at 7.5 million, not 50%.

he had a great run in the playoffs, but he has been pretty average for years. his performance over his last few seasons says he isn't worth 7.5.

fwiw, his contract term and age (to me) mean he isn't worth spending assets on at 50% - maybe if the contract wasn't buyout-proof.

His performance in the playoffs over the last decade has been elite and arguably one of the most consistent.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm laughing at those who say that Seattle should pick Price and trade him back to Montreal for picks etc. If Montreal was going to have to do that, they would have just exposed Allen, (Kept Price) and gotten another backup goalie for cheap (Allen was had for a 3rd and 5th) or picked one up as a UFA.

Price either really wants to go back home (don't forget, he has an NMC so he can't just be traded by Bergevin to any team) OR he's injured and will miss a chunk of the season anyways, plus with his big salary, doesn't think he'll get picked anyways.

It's win/win for Price. Either he moves back home (or very close to it) or he stays in the city where he's played for the last 14 seasons.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I kinda think the only reason he's willing to risk waiving (aside from his own personal benefit of having Allen as his backup), is because Seattle is close to home. It wouldn't surprise me at all if his list of teams to waive the NMC for are basically just Seattle, and should they take him, then probably only Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary. Edmonton would be the only of those three interested. Purely speculation and based on nothing else.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cant see Price going anywhere ...That contract is just too long,and just comes with too much risk...He will remain a Hab

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
There is way to much risk, with Price's upcoming surgery and not finding a suitor for Price.

Also retaining cap for 5 years isn't a clever strategy without a big return. I'm not convinced Price will return enough to handcuff a fresh start team with that kind of retention, or worse, whole contract.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I feel that Sakic will take a look at a retained Price. With Grubauer on UFA market, they have a bunch of great prospects to convince Seattle to get some millions

Sounds like Montreal and Colorado have a lot to talk about then.

Troygambletheforgot

Sep 20, 2020
why would they flip him? ...they are getting a better selection of players than Vegas did, and can have one of the best tandems in the league with Price and any of the other 2-3 stud goalies available to them.
they can basically draft a Cup contender.

The people thinking Kraken would flip Price after taking him does not understand how NMC work and they have to be waived to trade the player again and he’s not going anywhere other then Montreal or Seattle. Plus if the reports are correct he will be on LTIR until the new year or December with his knee surgery.
In my opinion Bergeron is copying the 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan did in the NFL draft to cause confusion by using a smokescreen of all these injuries the Canadiens are releasing of their players that are exposed.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The people thinking Kraken would flip Price after taking him does not understand how NMC work and they have to be waived to trade the player again and he’s not going anywhere other then Montreal or Seattle. Plus if the reports are correct he will be on LTIR until the new year or December with his knee surgery.
In my opinion Bergeron is copying the 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan did in the NFL draft to cause confusion by using a smokescreen of all these injuries the Canadiens are releasing of their players that are exposed.

Reminder Seattle has access to Price's Medical record

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Take him in the expansion draft, retain 3m per, and flip him to Toronto (or the Pens?) with the appropriate return given the retention.

Crash HF

Be a hell of a way to shake things up in the league.
I have a solution, every player is traded to Toronto and they just play themselves. They can win the cup every year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad